Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'll take losing in the SCF over round #1 all day long. How about you? Ask the Panthers what they learned losing in the SCF last year? Gotta get to the door to break it down.
We've had family discussions about that ... consensus seems to be lose early and move on.

Getting 10 feet from the finish line in first place to be passed at the last minute ... brutal.

Be interesting to see how many recent Cup losers subsequently win within 3 years.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
They had no issues exploring trades for Nylander last summer - Shanahan's calls were meaningless.
Disagree. It would have been much easier to trade Marner or Matthews in June because their NMCs kicked in July 1. Nylander's July 1 NTC made little difference. Leafs likely did not start exploring a Nylander trade until negotiations stalled after July 1.

Habs (LOL), Oilers, Sens and Canucks have all made it to the SCF while the Leafs have won 5/16 games. Reminds me of video games that you can't get out of level 2.
There's a level 2???

• Haha
Reactions: socko and ToneDog

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We've had family discussions about that ... consensus seems to be lose early and move on.

Getting 10 feet from the finish line in first place to be passed at the last minute ... brutal.

Be interesting to see how many recent Cup losers subsequently win within 3 years.
Losing in round #1 annually makes a team Pretenders and what should be learned and taken away is major changes required, you're not close at all if you can't win 4 games but you need 16.

Losing in the SCF makes you a true Contender and what should be learned and taken away is you're close and a few tweaks might be the difference to put you over the top, you've won 12 and missing but 4.

Minor tweaks to a Pretender makes you a slightly different Pretender.

Major changes are coming in TO thank goodness.

1) New Coach
2) New Starting Goalie (Samsonov & Murray out)
3) New Defense Core (as many and 3-4 new players (Brodie, Giordano, Liljegren and some of TD rentals out) .. Big, Mean, and Mobile defenders brought in Zadorov, Tanev, etc.
4) Hopefully Marner (out) and new rebuild assets in. Too much $$/Cap in too few forwards/players ..
5) New System - From Run and Gun (regular season style) to Dump and Chase (playoff style).

That is going to be a good start to turning this thing around.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Losing in round #1 annually makes a team Pretenders and what should be learned and taken away is major changes required, you not close at all if you can't win 4 games but you need 16 .

Losing in the SCF makes you a contender and what should be learned and taken away is you're close and a few tweaks might be the difference to put you over the top.

1) New Coach
3) New Defense Core (as many and 3-4 new players (Brodie, Giordano, Liljegren and some of TD rentals out) .. Big, Mean, and Mobile defenders brought in Zadorov, Tanev, etc.
4) Hopefully Marner (out) and new rebuild assets in. Too much $$/Cap in too few forwards/players ..
5) New System - From Run and Gun (regular season style) to Dump and Chase (playoff style).

Losing in the first round doesn't carry much investment.

Losing in the final, good money after bad.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Losing in the first round doesn't carry much investment.

Losing in the final, good money after bad.
The think the better questions for the Leafs is

Would you rather lose in Game 7 of the first round or Game 5 of the first round.
As this question is something we can relate more than making the Cup Finals.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Losing in round #1 annually makes a team Pretenders and what should be learned and taken away is major changes required, you not close at all if you can't win 4 games but you need 16 .

Losing in the SCF makes you a contender and what should be learned and taken away is you're close and a few tweaks might be the difference to put you over the top.

1) New Coach

Not so sure this year, I don't see Edmonton putting up a fight, let alone beating any of the top teams in the East.

None the less, they still beat us in a 7 game series and are far closer than we are to winning.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

1) New Coach

I recall when Babcock tried to implement a dump and chase system; the team quit on him and didn't wanna play that way. And people all over the net were kissing dubas' ass and "zone entries" and BS/60 stats.

I wonder if the same mob starts whining when Berube implements such a system from the get go; also I wonder whether the team will respond to such a system as a complete "buy in" or there will be whining like there was against babcock

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
just 15 more days until his signing bonus is paid off and we can seriously start trade negotiations with other teams.

Is it July 1st yet?
1718480407138.png

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I recall when Babcock tried to implement a dump and chase system; the team quit on him and didn't wanna play that way. And people all over the net were kissing dubas' ass and "zone entries" and BS/60 stats.

I wonder if the same mob starts whining when Berube implements such a system from the get go; also I wonder whether the team will respond to such a system as a complete "buy in" or there will be whining like there was against babcock

When did he do that? Having a winger float at center ice for a stretch pass isn’t dump and chase, it’s shinny. If you want to dump and chase you need a controlled exit out of your zone with numbers, not your D firing 50 foot Hail Mary passes from the goal line that result in icings 90% of the time.

Reactions: myleafs

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
just 15 more days until his signing bonus is paid off and we can seriously start trade negotiations with other teams.

Is it July 1st yet?
They can trade him anytime, except Christmas freeze.

He can agree to a trade anytime, and he can refuse to be traded until the end of his contract.

But if you're suggesting July 1st. is a long time coming can't argue.

Reactions: PromisedLand

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

This is exactly the 10.9 million dollar question.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

So when are we expecting Cowan to do an expose of the players practice habit?

• Haha

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
When did he do that? Having a winger float at center ice for a stretch pass isn’t dump and chase, it’s shinny. If you want to dump and chase you need a controlled exit out of your zone with numbers, not your D firing 50 foot Hail Mary passes from the goal line that result in icings 90% of the time.

people were calling out babcock for running a dump and chase system because there were no controlled zone entries and there were "dumps" but Leafs wouldn't chase the puck

it was a dump and don't chase system as dubas fans would often call out

They can trade him anytime, except Christmas freeze.

He can agree to a trade anytime, and he can refuse to be traded until the end of his contract.

But if you're suggesting July 1st. is a long time coming can't argue.

Some team will get Marner for 9 years hypothetically speaking with about 900K for a year and then whateer the 8 year contract ends up being. In terms of total dollars that would be something. Given high int rates, ridiculous cost of living for majority of the people and people pinching pennies to spend at the moment (rich people excluded); that is most definitely important i.e. the signing bonus owed to marner as far as I am concerned ;)

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
people were calling out babcock for running a dump and chase system because there were no controlled zone entries and there were "dumps" but Leafs wouldn't chase the puck

Who needs dump and chase when you could do a spin-o-rama in your own zone a la Travis Dermott and keep possession? :sarcasm:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Some team will get Marner for 9 years hypothetically speaking with about 900K for a year and then whateer the 8 year contract ends up being. In terms of total dollars that would be something. Given high int rates, ridiculous cost of living for majority of the people and people pinching pennies to spend at the moment (rich people excluded); that is most definitely important i.e. the signing bonus owed to marner as far as I am concerned ;)

Maybe I’m missing something but how are you supposed to dump and chase without getting to center first? Icings still exist right? Or is the winger cherry-picking by design supposed to take the stretch pass and dump and chase to himself when he’s already behind the D?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Who cares, it's winning the Cup right?

Or you'll be happy with a close but no cigar?
Its a start

you would rather get knocked out in the 1st round than get knocked out in the WCF or the finals? wowzers

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
All Canadian teams have been schooled for the last 30 years, including Burke, Nonis, Fletcher, Quinn, Lamoriello, ...

Name me one Canadian Team GM who has won a Cup.

This isn't a Leafs thing this is a Canadian thing.
So please explain your theory as to why Canadian teams haven't been able to win the Cup.

Incompetence? Bad luck? Bettman conspiracy?

Can't wait.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad