Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Are you also predicting he'll age poorly? I thought he'll get 100 points and cups elsewhere so he can ask for a proper raise later with a rising cap!

Not even you can imagine it? ROFL

Mitch needs to cash out on being glued to Matthews with an 8-year contract.
I wouldn’t put Marner and Mathews together for lots of reasons, I don’t think Berube will either……..

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I would put Marner and Mathews together for lots of reasons, I don’t think Berube will either……..
I wonder if Marner will chance playing the entire year without a contract.
I know his agent runs his client right to UFA, but this is his try harder year and he has no idea if they will be split on different lines, reduced and balanced ice time and new system that might decrease players point totals.
He knew what he had under Keefe. Berube not so much. Greed might make him take the Leafs to contract task now.

Reactions: Chindis

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Applying game theory, if the Leafs want Marner out, his best path is likely through cooperation.

I’m not sure you’re fully grasping the protection a full NMC gives a player.

Marner will play out his last year of his RFA deal with Matthews, Nylander, et al., get his point-per-game-plus regular season and then wave goodbye to the Leafs, cashing in a mega-deal elsewhere.

Leafs have exactly no control here, and I guess people thought online bullying would help make him leave town but all it’s going to do is harden his resolve to stick it to the team.

Reactions: bax and Confucius

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
still not the nest gm in the world .hes obviously taking direction from shanahan .they are gonna run it back ,and maybe look worse as the other clubs ,detroit and jersey for sure will be better
Why is that obvious?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Marner will play out his last year of his RFA deal with Matthews, Nylander, et al., get his point-per-game-plus regular season and then wave goodbye to the Leafs, cashing in a mega-deal elsewhere.

Leafs have exactly no control here, and I guess people thought online bullying would help make him leave town but all it’s going to do is harden his resolve to stick it to the team.
Marner has full control to deny a trade and stay here for 1 more year. That’s all he has. He controls nothing else.
He doesn’t control who he plays on a line with, if he wears a letter and he doesn’t control being re-signed if the Leafs decide to walk. Which they should.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Very possible he plays out the year but under Berube I do not see him allowing them to cheat to get their points. If they have no interest in extending him, no sense playing him on PP1 or with Matthews. This leads me to think his points will suffer, which in turn will lower his market value. Add that he cannot get that 8th year and I say it is not in his best interest to stay if he can go to a team he likes and gets his money?

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Depends how you look at it, right? For the team, that may the least risky outcome. A proven 90-100 point player locked up for term, and you hope that at some point the playoff pieces fall into place with him on the team. The alternative is the unknown of a trade, which carries tremendous potential risk (and obviously potential gain, as well). The GM is already wearing one of those with the Tkachuk trade, and it's not outlandish to suggest that it played a part in him losing his job. I think they should trade Marner, but I won't be surprised if they instead end up resigning him. The only outcome that I think is a certainty not to happen is Marner playing out his last year and signing somewhere else on July 1. I don't think there is any realistic scenario where that is the outcome.
Have you not been watching the playoffs for the last 5 years? Unless they keep him to keep the paying customers happy and buying merch, he will not be resigned. 1. His ego will not allow him to take less than Nylander and 2. hopefully the Leafs realize he is not worth anywhere near what he is making today.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Very possible he plays out the year but under Berube I do not see him allowing them to cheat to get their points. If they have no interest in extending him, no sense playing him on PP1 or with Matthews. This leads me to think his points will suffer, which in turn will lower his market value. Add that he cannot get that 8th year and I say it is not in his best interest to stay if he can go to a team he likes and gets his money?
Marner has played in 54 games without Mathews, he has 64 points, 16 goals 48 assists. It appears his point per game totals don’t suffer.

Reactions: DarkKnight

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner has played in 54 games without Mathews, he has 64 points, 16 goals 48 assists. It appears his point per game totals don’t suffer.
He will not get his 100 points not playing on PP1 and with Berube demanding they be more defensively responsible. Nobody in their right mind will pay this playoff loser $100m, unless he puts up 110+ points and even then perhaps not (see Johnny Hockey). Not happening. If he stays, it will be groundhog day in a year and he will walk for nothing. That is not acceptable after all the talent and assets this team has lost to accommodate 3 playoff losers like 16, 34 and 88.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

If they tell him he’s not part of the future then it makes more sense for the player to cooperate. He’s leaving anyway so why not go now, unless he plans to retire.
They’d take away the A, he wouldn’t be included in some meetings. If the Leafs know they’re getting nothing for him, why play him?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If they tell him he’s not part of the future then it makes more sense for the player to cooperate. He’s leaving anyway so why not go now, unless he plans to retire.
They’d take away the A, he wouldn’t be included in some meetings. If the Leafs know they’re getting nothing for him, why play him?

The thing is though, we have no idea that the team is looking at the player anywhere near as negatively/hostile as folks are doing here.

People have taken a few vague quotes during the season ending presser and have run wild with them.

They may very well be quite happy keeping him.

Reactions: Sizzle and JEI

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The thing is though, we have no idea that the team is looking at the player anywhere near as negatively/hostile as folks are doing here.

People have taken a few vague quotes during the season ending presser and have run wild with them.

God help Leafs nation if they consider this option. They will have so much egg on their faces if they run it back, he shits the bed next April or worse do not make the playoffs and he walks for nothing.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Of course they aren't, they are mature men who understand the game.
Have to admit I'm pretty shocked at how childish some are acting over this.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I wonder if Marner will chance playing the entire year without a contract.
I know his agent runs his client right to UFA, but this is his try harder year and he has no idea if they will be split on different lines, reduced and balanced ice time and new system that might decrease players point totals.
He knew what he had under Keefe. Berube not so much. Greed might make him take the Leafs to contract task now.
Sorry I meant wouldn’t……

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

I think just playing for the Leafs in a contract year and the benefits of that will outweigh any hostile actions taken against him from coaching/management - like taking away his A and not including him in meetings.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That's what happens when you hand out NMC's like candy.

You're contractually obligated to run it back.
Agreed but they can ask him to waive if they decide they want to go in a different direction. If he chooses to stay, he will lose out which will serve him right.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

I don't think Berube got to where he is today by letting mangagement/player contract talks get in the way of icing the best possible roster every night.

The Leafs aren't going to hurt their own chances of success icing sub-optimal lineups, because fans are mad at a player.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

It may not be Marner they want to move, it might be Matthews, Rielly, or Nylander, or a combination. Nothing should be off the table.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
:D you mean point pacer, because he never had 100 points in a season. That's 90-100 point pacer playing with 60-70 goal Matthews.

Proven? Don't make me laugh, he can't carry a line. Without PRIME JT or Matthews, Mitch is not sniffing 90 points. Proven my ass.
Take him off PP1, take away his EN goals and assists, reduce his TOI and watch his numbers shrink like they do in the playoffs. If the Leafs want him gone, he will be gone. If they want to keep the door open, maybe we should find a new hobby on game nights. LOL. I know I have done that with Jays and Raps.

Reactions: Arzak

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Thats game theory in a nutshell. It is not in the best interests of either actor for both actors to lose - leverage is derived from avoiding that outcome.

It can be nuanced - if Marner is not part of the long term program does he get stat padding minutes over developing players? Or it can just get straight ugly.

It's just not a good idea for either party to go down that road if it becomes combative.
Seems pretty logical to me. It appears Ferris doesn't care that he's making Marner look like a malcontent. He's not acting in his client's best interest.

It could also be that Berube has told Shanahan and Treliving that he wants to see what he has in Marner and if he can make him a better player before moving on from him.
IT. DOESN'T. MATTER. If you want to ice a team, you can't pay Marner what he wants, period.

Reactions: BallardEra

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't think Berube got to where he is today by letting mangagement/player contract talks get in the way of icing the best possible roster every night.

The Leafs aren't going to hurt their own chances of success icing sub-optimal lineups, because fans are mad at a player.
This. It’s hilarious people think we’re taking the A, dropping him to a grinder line and putting him on the second PP. Isn’t happening. He has a NMC, he’s signed this year, his side can play out negotiations, it’s exactly the same as Nylander last year in essence. So much emotion with the fan base, that’s is frankly irrelevant to reality here, nobody cares if you hate Marner, it isn’t part of any equation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad