Proposal: Marner to Vancouver for Hronek.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why would the Leafs trade Marner for Hronek? This proposal is beyond crazy unfair.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
In a vacuum I actually think Marner would be a great fit but there's no way we could ever make his cap hit work. Especially not when Marner's probably looking for an even bigger deal after his expires.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
Saw a poll this morning about the Canucks fans wanting to trade Hronek for a top 6 forward and wanted to get peoples thoughts.

Why would the Canucks do this?

Marner is a 27 year old top line playmaking winger capable of putting up 100 point season. He is a strong defensive forward and a great PKer. He would fit well with the Canucks strong scoring centers in Miller and Pettersson.

Marner has 1 year left at 10.9m and will be an RFA looking for a raiser. Marner's biggest weakness is he is not known to be a playoff performer.

Why would the Leafs do his?

Hronek is a 26 year old top pair right side defensemen with the ability to be a number 1. Hronek is capable of putting up 40-50 points while being defensively sound. While people assume his production this year was a product of Hughes, Hronek had back to back 38 point seasons in Detroit before joining the Canucks.

Hronek is a RFA people are speculating he will ask for 7-8m on a 8 year deal that would leave him 34.

Marner is clearly the better player in a vacuum but a right side D is much more valuable than a RW. Toronto will be savings 3m in year 1 and likely 4m thereafter which is highly valuable. I could see the Canucks buying out or trading a contract like Mikheyev to make this work.

Thoughts of this deal as a frame work. What would you expect to see added to make it work?
A lot of good points here, but Vancouver needs Hronek as much as Toronto. He was a big reason why both the Canucks and Hughes upped their game this year.

Feb 5, 2016
Vancouver would be better off resigning Hronek and using the saved salary on resigning Lindholm and extending Boeser.

Mikheyev's contract should be bought out as well.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm not entirely opposed to Marner as a player, memes about inconsistency and playoff performances not withstanding.

I like Hronek, but he's not untouchable. If his alleged contract demands are accurate, I have no opposition to moving him.

That cap hit though...no thank you from this Vancouver fan. We have the cap space to absorb Marner, but we also have 4 top six D to sign, either a 3C or 2C depending on how Tocchet assembles next seasons lines, and a plethora of LW. Another 11 million dollar cap hit isn't something trivial to work around.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
Gross. No thanks.
Current leafs players have too much of a loser stink on them.
He would taint the dressing room.
10+ mill for a perimeter player. Pass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No from Vancouver. Top pairing right shot D just entering their prime years are worth more than a winger like Marner. And Marner is really good. He’s just eating too much cap.

Reactions: gianni

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
"Hronek wants to get paid like a top pair defenseman. He doesnt play well enough to get paid like a top pair defenseman, I think we should trade him instead"

"Hey guys who wants a top pair defenseman"?

-Canucks fans

Hronek only has top pair defense value in a trade for Canucks fans. But for their team that value is too high.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Doesn’t work at all for Vancouver so they say no.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Im not sure where the narrative comes from that he isn’t a playoff performer. Overall that hasn’t been the case. View attachment 875318
I think it's just relative to his cap hit that he isn't a playoff performer.

And it's situational too -- he doesn't have that extra gear when it counts. A lot of these points weren't at crucial moments in crucial games.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4