Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Lol...tell me you don't know what your talking about, without telling me you don't know what your talking about.

Run along and play with the other children now.
You still quoting Berkshire, kid or have you moved on from that train wreck? Your attempt at stats is cute but you can't be so sensitive when someone who knows better calls you out and makes you look silly. Practice with your friend first and you might move away from the kiddy table in a decade or so.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
It's the management. They tried to pretend they weren't moving him, but they did a poor job of "not singling people out"
I'm sure his teammates like him. Despite him stealing cap money from them.

The team and the media will team up on him if he is still a Leaf next year.
Seems a bit far fetched to me. Not the media part that’s a given. I guess we’ll see.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Much was made of Mitch throwing his gloves after coming off the ice. Now put love him or hate him off to the side. Answer this, was that a reaction from someone who doesn’t care?
Looked more like a player that got called out by his teammate and had a temper tantrum.

Reactions: myleafs

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Everything circles back to one truth. Each one of the expensive 4 has their strengths and on many teams would add value both the undeniable truth is you can’t have all 4 of them on one team on the hard cap era.
Some can pretend that this would work but we have 8 years of prove
It’s the sum of the parts. They each have the same weaknesses multiplied by 4. 5 adding Rielly.
Each player on a different team is a different story. Of course Kessel, Bozak, Kadri can win on other teams. The sum of the parts is different. That’s why they do win there and not here.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
If he doesn't want to waive his NMC, and he starts the season on a tear, the vast majority of the fan base will love him again. Putting that aside, it's not inconceivable that management wants to give Berube the chance to coach all of them, so the team keeps Marner, brings back Domi and Bertuzzi, and simply waits out the year for Tavares' contract to expire. In that scenario, the available cap space goes to the defense and a goalie, and that's it.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Tre himself said they've been busy with the coach search and this week was scout meetings and internal conversations

Marner and his camp haven't even been asked yet about waiving.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
If he doesn't want to waive his NMC, and he starts the season on a tear, the vast majority of the fan base will love him again. Putting that aside, it's not inconceivable that management wants to give Berube the chance to coach all of them, so the team keeps Marner, brings back Domi and Bertuzzi, and simply waits out the year for Tavares' contract to expire. In that scenario, the available cap space goes to the defense and a goalie, and that's it.
Similar to what happened to Nylander; once MM signed the new deal, he will be back to his old self in the playoff again and fans hate him again :laugh:
Not enough cap space unless the Leafs do nothing on goalie and defence, Nylander's new deal will kick in next season.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You still quoting Berkshire, kid or have you moved on from that train wreck? Your attempt at stats is cute but you can't be so sensitive when someone who knows better calls you out and makes you look silly. Practice with your friend first and you might move away from the kiddy table in a decade or so.
#1 why are you acting like what Berkshire said in 2019 was a joke? His research and summary of what the advanced indicated about Marner was right on the money lol.

Thanks for bringing that up by the way. I think its importsnt to post it again because now more than ever we can see how accurate Berkshire was.

Berkshire in 2019: "Marner might be the most overrated player in the NHL"

I encourage everyone was to listen to Berkshire from 2019 here:

#2 Stats im referencing are from Natural Stat Trick. Check them out for yourself and report back to us what you find.

Also... it's free, so you can post them here and not worry about @ACC1224 questioning your ethics.

Last edited:

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
"According to Pierre Lebrun"

Opinion discarded.

#1 why are you acting like what Berkshire said in 2019 was a joke? His research and summary of what the advanced indicated about Marner was right on the money lol.

Thanks for bringing that up by the way. I think its importsnt to post it again because now more than ever we can see how accurate Berkshire was.

Berkshire in 2019: "Marner might be the most overrated player in the NHL"

I encourage everyone was to listen to Berkshire from 2019 here:

#2 Stats im referencing are from Natural Stat Trick. Check them out for yourself and report back to us what you find.

Also... it's free, so you can post them here and not worry about @ACC1224 questioning your ethics.

Andrew Berkshire LMAOOOOOO. Who cares what that soyboy has to say?

• Love
Reactions: mikeyz

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

"According to Pierre Lebrun"

Opinion discarded.

Andrew Berkshire LMAOOOOOO. Who cares what that soyboy has to say?
Did you see his video talking about Hyman earlier this year?

I have never ever seen someone get ratioed as badly as he did in that thread. LMFAO

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That’s another 1st round exit.

Reactions: myleafs

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1716617381390.png

• Love
Reactions: Nineteen67

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
…….. So basically you’re willing to accept ANOTHER 1st round exit next season?

Watching Rangers Florida, it’s hard to see how Mitch’s game gets any room in a series against those teams
I was talking to my dad about this exact thing tonight. There is no chance Marner would thrive in an environment like the way that series has been so far.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
our pp and lack of any scoring is whats killed them in the playoffs year after year not d or g.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Leafs don't have cap space to bring back Domi and Bertuzzi if they don't move Marner.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Watching Rangers Florida, it’s hard to see how Mitch’s game gets any room in a series against those teams

That's why he struggles every playoffs, and we're not even talking about later rounds when it gets even harder to play. I don't think he's serious about putting in the work and effort to winning in the playoffs...he cares more about making money, getting endorsements, and building his brand...how does one explain that he hasn't improved on his shot nearing a decade into his NHL career? How hard does he work on his training and game in the off-season? Not enough and not with the desire of someone who wants to win.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
That's the lackadaisical path forward, maybe a safe bet, but the new mgmt team is putting out the vibe that patience is gone and change is coming. That would fall pretty flat.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
According to Natural Stat Trick, when Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews are on the ice together in 5v5 play, their expected goals for percentage (xGF%) is 55.35%. However, Marner's xGF% drops to 46.37% when he plays without Matthews, indicating the opposition has a higher chance of scoring when hes out there with anyone but Matthews. In contrast, Matthews’ xGF% slightly improves to 55.43% without Marner. Indicating he remains dominant with anybody he plays, Marner doesn't move the needle upwards at all.

Before the Marner fans come out and say xGF% means nothing... doesnt matter what advanced stat I post, i get the same response from them. So i came with backup. @Notsince67 this is also for you, considering you questioned my advanced stats accumen. Don't take it from me, take it from an expert.

Here is a recent interview, where Mike Kelly of sportslogiq indicates that he values xgf% because it is more indicative of play and eliminates the variable of goaltending.

Question: What do you value more? GF% or xGF% or both, and why?
@MikeKellyNHL:
Both are important. I place more value on expected goal differential in terms of understanding how well a player, a line or a team is playing from a process standpoint. This tends to affect GF% more than vice-versa. Over long samples, GF% will paint a fairly accurate picture but small sample, xGF% more indicative of play. It also eliminates the massive variable that is goaltending at both ends of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad