Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Started with his prolonged negotiation with Nylander. No reason to drag it to the final hour only to fold to his demands. Matthews' and Marner's agents smelled blood in the water and Dubas caved much quicker for them.

In an ideal world, Tavares should've been the ceiling.
$7M wasn't bad for a talented 2W.

But when you have given $11M to a 2C, how are you supposed to give less to a better 1C?

Matthews' wasn't out of line considering the amount paid to a 2C, but Marner should have received maybe $1M more than Nylander.

Without the terrible Tavares signing he should have been able to get Matty, Mitch, and Willy for $8, $7, and $6 respectively, or maybe $1M more each.

To an extent, maybe you're right - if he hadn't messed up the Nylander negotiations, Matthews and Marner may not have realized how easily they could take advantage of him.

Reactions: bax

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
$7M wasn't bad for a talented 2W.

But when you have given $11M to a 2C, how are you supposed to give less to a better 1C?

Matthews' wasn't out of line considering the amount paid to a 2C, but Marner should have received maybe $1M more than Nylander.

Without the terrible Tavares signing he should have been able to get Matty, Mitch, and Willy for $8, $7, and $6 respectively, or maybe $1M more each.

To an extent, maybe you're right - if he hadn't messed up the Nylander negotiations, Matthews and Marner may not have realized how easily they could take advantage of him.
10 for Matty sailed when Eich got 10. Allowing Marner to use Matty as his comparable is laughable.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I've suggested this in the past. He can supplement his income promoting "chicken wings" for the anchor bar, selling fire insurance and pumping the duty free.

Skipping legs days in the gym for years, all for this unique opportunity!

"Give me a bucket of Mitchy Wings, with an extra Pk on top !"

edit: "That will be $11 please."

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If Marner wants to get paid send him to Pitttsburgh. Dubas can do us a solid by talking to Marner and getting him to waive.
One more time Kyle. You owe us.

Reactions: TMLBlueandWhite

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Reactions: leafs in five

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
How did it ever get from this to this.

Where did they go so wrong. So much potential. All wasted.

The greatest opportunity to win the cup in a lifetime pissed away.

By incompetent management. Greedy players. Lethargic fans.

And a soft media that licks the team's ass.

The fans deserve better. Better than being lied to and fed empty promises. We deserve a team full of players on it we can be proud of.

Not this shit mess they expect us to gobble up and beg for more of the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
The snark returns!

I don't agree with the sentiment that we'll lose Marner trade.

We'll end up with Marner-less team, as far I'm concerned it's hard to lose a Marner trade.

Plus I have a hard time calling a team paying assets for the privilege of spending a huge portion of their cap on Mitch Marner a winner of any trade.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
According to Pierre Lebrun, Marner has no intention of submitting a limited trade list and intends to play out the final year of his contract in Toronto.

Treliving's hands may be tied in this case.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
According to Pierre Lebrun, Marner has no intention of submitting a limited trade list and intends to play out the final year of his contract in Toronto.

As long as he doesn’t cut them off in a year by giving him 12.5. Let him walk then. He can use this year to do his farewell Leafs tour.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Exactly. Leafs don’t have the culture to do the necessary things.
There is a reason Boston would move on from a Thornton, they didn’t believe he had the intensity and team identity for the playoff haul. What would we do, pay him more and expect they figure it out.

People are worried about one Marner. The Bruins have moved on from more than one that didn’t fit the team standard and accountability.
Boston moved on from Thorton, Kessel, Seguin, among others, they know when to fish and when to cut bait……

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He needs out of Toronto.
Toronto needs to move on.

He should realize his next contract will be less if he plays one game for Toronto next year. He won't handle the heat well, the media will pounce, he'll fall apart under the pressure. His next contract will reflect his poor play.

He's ridiculous if he thinks he can play through this and do well. Since his agent is a shit show. I expect Marner to do stupid things.

We cant break Mitch anymore than Mitch breaks himself. That series was peak trash for him. Trashiest 11m playoff ever.

Daily rep. Get outttaaaa heeeere

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Where did he say that? I’ve heard LeBrun on the radio/podcasts a few times and never heard him say that.

Reactions: tmlfan98 and KMNRB

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
We know Berube has spoken to Mitch, and will again. I’m curious how those intersections go and if Berube thinks Marner can make the leap come playoffs. His input is probably part of the equation.
Did you watch both conf final series' 1st game? Can MM be even "effective" in the least physical one (DAL vs EDM)?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Boston moved on from Thorton, Kessel, Seguin, among others, they know when to and when to cut bait……
Not afraid to cut loose players who don't fit the culture. Hamilton is another high profile player they traded early in his career.

I don't like the Bruins, but I have respect for how they run their team.

The Leafs are too politically motivated in my opinion. They care more about their image as an organization and thus will always choose the safe option. Keeping the core around is the safest option. It's not what I want to happen but I'll bet good money they'll end up resigning Marner and probably Tavares too.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
As long as he doesn’t cut them off in a year by giving him 12.5. Let him walk then. He can use this year to do his farewell Leafs tour.
One scenario: Leafs open negotiations. If the sides are too far apart (as I expect them to be), Leafs should publicly declare negotiations over and ask Marner for a list of teams.

Whatever happens, Leafs need to put the onus on Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad