Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
TRADE MARNER

Just getting in my daily rep, like this savage.

1331660438_bike_wheelie_bench_pressing.gif

Last edited:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Ya and the crazy part is management and some fans think this core is going to figure it out. If they havnt done it in 8 years they never will
I don't remember who said it, but it was something like "MM is a local boy, it is not like he never watched SC playoff hockey, he should understand playoff hockey, blah blah blah"
Nothing in the playoff is left to figure out for the MM, AM and Nylander (after 8 years). Leafs management doesn't want to say it out loud "The core does not want to play playoff-style hockey, it is too demanding."

I hope MM does not pull another Johnny Gaudreau's final year in CAL and has 119 (??) pts. This will give TRe a heart attack :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
According to Pierre Lebrun, Marner has no intention of submitting a limited trade list and intends to play out the final year of his contract in Toronto.

haha.

Loser Marner will lose.

He's going to be crushed to bits as the team will turn on him.

I would force Marner into mandatory twice daily media talks.

He'll be crying by mid March.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
How did it ever get from this to this.

Where did they go so wrong. So much potential. All wasted.

The greatest opportunity to win the cup in a lifetime pissed away.

By incompetent management. Greedy players. Lethargic fans.

And a soft media that licks the team's ass.

The fans deserve better. Better than being lied to and fed empty promises. We deserve a team full of players on it we can be proud of.

Not this shit mess they expect us to gobble up and beg for more of the same.
It went to shot when rookie Pres fires HOF GM and coach and hires rookie GM and coach. Core took every cent and rookie GM kept bleeding assets fixing mistakes and adding at the TDL.

It took 5 playoff failures before the master of this charade admitted that he was wrong all along.

As much as Matty was a godsend, he has proven he is more about the money than the team. No more proof needed. All we can hope for is that Tre can find us a Matthew Tkachuk who can turn this mess around in one foul swoop.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Just make him look terrible then. 3rd line no PP. All D zone starts. Carry a line you 11m per year man child.
I don’t know if Lebrun reported he wouldn’t waive but it’s just the beginning. Every media outlet will pick up every tidbit and saturate the market with it.
Have fun answering every reporter as to why didn’t you waive? Are you going UFA? Are you signing? Are you in the Leafs plans? It will drive him nuts.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Biggest takeaway from this off season is it appears the Ignore list is thankfully unlimited.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
One scenario: Leafs open negotiations. If the sides are too far apart (as I expect them to be), Leafs should publicly declare negotiations over and ask Marner for a list of teams.

Whatever happens, Leafs need to put the onus on Marner.
Your plan is sound except it was reported that his agent doesn’t negotiate and has his client go right to UFA. That’s why Marner didn’t have a deal before he hit RFA. He goes right to the end. Tell him now he’s not in the plans. If he doesn’t care, let him walk.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
According to Pierre Lebrun, Marner has no intention of submitting a limited trade list and intends to play out the final year of his contract in Toronto.

Treliving's hands may be tied in this case.

That may very well be a reality but that $11 million we are saving can also be reserved for the next offseason and that may be the big prize. That summer Saros, Rantanen and Draisaitl could be hitting free agency, and in the meantime maybe we get Marner’s best in a prove it year. But yeah, Marner’s gotta go, either this summer or next.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That may very well be a reality but that $11 million we are saving can also be reserved for the next offseason and that may be the big prize. That summer Saros, Rantanen and Draisaitl could be hitting free agency, and in the meantime maybe we get Marner’s best in a prove it year. But yeah, Marner’s gotta go, either this summer or next.
22 million free next year.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Until we hit July 4th, it's mostly just rumors at this stage. Can't really verify all the smoke and mirrors and negotiations. Neither side is going to give a non-standard answer today

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Treliving's hands may be tied in this case.

Surprise!

I guess he wants to embarrass himself one more time at least in the playoffs before getting his big pay day somewhere else.

Whatever.

I’m over the core 4 era at this point. I know Nylander and Matthews are signed long term but I only care about the guys coming up in the system like Knies, Cowan, Robertson and Woll. I’m not excited to watch the same 4 idiots including Rielly crap the bed in April. I actually wasn’t even that excited to watch the playoffs this year tbh because everyone knew they would f***ing blow it against the Bruins for the nth time.

The sooner we get rid of them, the sooner my enthusiasm for watching hockey will come back. As of right now, next year is a throwaway for me. I look forward to the future and a day where I don’t have to hear the names Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Rielly. Nylander I have more patience for because the dude actually shows up when you need him.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Thank you.

TRADE MARNER

Just getting in my daily rep, like this savage.

1331660438_bike_wheelie_bench_pressing.gif
There's no point in selling low on Marner.

If we're looking at a Kessel type return, I'd prefer to just keep our 100 point winger.

I don't see how we can spend 11 million dollars better. There isn't a Tkachuck-Huberdeau type of trade available right now.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Matthews, Marner and Nylander could very well be Steve Yzerman and Sergei Fedorov.

But the flip side of historical comparisons is they could also be Spezza, Heatley/Hossa and Alfredsson or Thornton/Marleau.

Lol yeah they ain’t Yzerman or Federov. Even the lesser players mentioned have gone deeper in the playoffs than our three ever have.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Matthews, Marner and Nylander could very well be Steve Yzerman and Sergei Fedorov.

But the flip side of historical comparisons is they could also be Spezza, Heatley/Hossa and Alfredsson or Thornton/Marleau.
Yzerman also had Nik Lidstrom and Mike Vernon for a little help and no cap.

Reactions: Kazparov

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not afraid to cut loose players who don't fit the culture. Hamilton is another high profile player they traded early in his career.

I don't like the Bruins, but I have respect for how they run their team.

The Leafs are too politically motivated in my opinion. They care more about their image as an organization and thus will always choose the safe option. Keeping the core around is the safest option. It's not what I want to happen but I'll bet good money they'll end up resigning Marner and probably Tavares too.
Yes, I forgot about Hamilton, another odd duck they got rid of. Boston cares about winning and having their players conform to the team’s identity, if your a wacko your gone………

haha.

Loser Marner will lose.

He's going to be crushed to bits as the team will turn on him.

I would force Marner into mandatory twice daily media talks.

He'll be crying by mid March.
Mid March? He’ll be begging to be traded by Thanksgiving……….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Definitely.

He's a God.

People in Hamilton are just mere mortals.
Whenever I think of the Hammer I always think of The Black Forest, they used to make the best schnitzel I’ve ever had, my brother lives there and if we visited I always treated the family to a trip to the Black Forest……….

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Surprise!

I guess he wants to embarrass himself one more time at least in the playoffs before getting his big pay day somewhere else.

Whatever.

I’m over the core 4 era at this point. I know Nylander and Matthews are signed long term but I only care about the guys coming up in the system like Knies, Cowan, Robertson and Woll. I’m not excited to watch the same 4 idiots including Rielly crap the bed in April. I actually wasn’t even that excited to watch the playoffs this year tbh because everyone knew they would f***ing blow it against the Bruins for the nth time.

The sooner we get rid of them, the sooner my enthusiasm for watching hockey will come back. As of right now, next year is a throwaway for me. I look forward to the future and a day where I don’t have to hear the names Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Rielly. Nylander I have more patience for because the dude actually shows up when you need him.

I think Marner wanting to stay in Toronto makes a lot of sense psychologically if not from a hockey perspective.

We’ve always had this Brady Bunch sibling dynamic between Matthews, the golden child, Nylander kind of lagging behind and Marner stuck in the middle. The comparisons to Matthews has always been aspirational whereas with Marner/Nylander it’s who gets voted off the island eventually.

Toronto can be a place that can be full of pressure and not a lot of fun, especially a guy with the contentious history of a Marner. But I don’t think Marner has the mentality that he’s going to prove himself in another market to stick it to the Leafs. I don’t think he’s a fiery bet on himself kind of guy like a Kadri or a Hyman.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don’t know if Lebrun reported he wouldn’t waive but it’s just the beginning. Every media outlet will pick up every tidbit and saturate the market with it.
Have fun answering every reporter as to why didn’t you waive? Are you going UFA? Are you signing? Are you in the Leafs plans? It will drive him nuts.
Can’t see how he wouldn’t want to be moved if they tell him he’s not in their future plans, maybe Ferris has a plan, but I don’t see how this ends well for Marner………

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad