Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Buffalo has a boatload of prospects, wonder if a deal could be had with them. They seem to have a need for a "high production" forward. They have three high ceiling younger defenders. Not sure if they'd be open to trading Powers or Byram. Marner I'm sure would be happy to stay near Toronto.
I've suggested this in the past. He can supplement his income promoting "chicken wings" for the anchor bar, selling fire insurance and pumping the duty free.

• Haha
Reactions: Antropovsky

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
They should sell framed replica contracts with a pic of the player in the background and the stitched sleeve number underneath. If you buy the “Core Four” package, you pay 53% more.

Seems to be what they’re proud of the most.
It would have been better if Pelley just came out like this:
1716551826313.gif

Hello my Leaf fans, get out your money,
We have new jerseys for sale,
Don’t forget to grab some snacks,
You know we’re running it back…

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Who says it's fabricated.

Do I sound angry?
Do I sound frustrated?
Maybe even a little pissed off?

Everyone on this site should be.

The name of the team is the TORONTO Maple Leafs. These players are paid millions upon millions to represent the pride of this city. Seeing their disgusting no heart no show performance every spring is bad enough on it's own.

Even worse when they shrug it off like it's no big deal.

This should be the flagship franchise of the NHL. Instead it's the biggest joke of the league. The greatest opportunity in a lifetime to win the cup is being pissed away and for some reason that's OK.

The complacency in this fan base is mind numbing.

Get angry.... get f***ING angry. Tell them how you really feel. Maybe something will finally get done.

If I sound extremist that's only because the situation IS extreme.

Time is the most precious commodity of all. Treliving is aware of this. That's why the Leafs hired Berube so quickly.

Patience isn't a virtue when the doomsday clock is two minutes to midnight.
It's a f***ing hockey team. If you are miserable cheering for it, it is more reflection on you that you don't pick one of the other 31 teams or a different league altogether. Angry? You have to be kidding.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Rather than change the core, get players to compliment the way the core plays.
Damn. I was fancying new feet because I like a pair of shoes that don't fit. Wise word have now given me pause. I wonder about the rest of the folks here.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
It's a f***ing hockey team. If you are miserable cheering for it, it is more reflection on you that you don't pick one of the other 31 teams or a different league altogether. Angry? You have to be kidding.
It's whatever way you choose to show/not show your emotions. I tend to agree/be like the other poster. It's infuriating to see how long it has taken ownership to see that changes need to take place, and that the "Shanaplan" was not working! Some people just shrug it off. Does that mean they don't care about this team? Not necessarily. Same thing with those of us who like to vent. Does that mean we don't care? Again, not necessarily.

I, like just about everybody else here, want the Leafs to win the Cup! And as true fans of this team, we all have the right to vent our feelings, especially when you continuously see the same things happening year after year after year, with no changes being made! Does that mean we should start cheering for another team? Yes, but only if we weren't a true fan to start with.

Reactions: Al14

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We know Berube has spoken to Mitch, and will again. I’m curious how those intersections go and if Berube thinks Marner can make the leap come playoffs. His input is probably part of the equation.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Buffalo has a boatload of prospects, wonder if a deal could be had with them. They seem to have a need for a "high production" forward. They have three high ceiling younger defenders. Not sure if they'd be open to trading Powers or Byram. Marner I'm sure would be happy to stay near Toronto.

Not sure him and the missus would be all that keen on Buffalo

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
IMO what started the ball rolling was giving JT the $11M to begin with.
And then the GM not making the case he was a UFA, they are RFA’s. The fact Dubas was rolled by RFA’s is inexcusable, particularly when he gave them all up front money too, further enhancing the actual dollars in the end. And Matthews only gave him one UFA year too, just across the board bent over, really stunning when you look back.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
And then the GM not making the case he was a UFA, they are RFA’s. The fact Dubas was rolled by RFA’s is inexcusable, particularly when he gave them all up front money too, further enhancing the actual dollars in the end. And Matthews only gave him one UFA year too, just across the board bent over, really stunning when you look back.
If you have to trade Marleau and a 1st round pick (which we could have used) and reacquire the contract of David Clarkson on IR to pay a 4th forward big money, you are probably giving out bad deals.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We tried speedy wingers and puck movers. Lost in the first round.
We tried cagey vets with playoff experience. Lost in the first round, and probably shot ourselves in the foot considering our cagey vets were the kings of chokes (Thornton and Marleau) or just got injured.
We tried adding sandpaper up front and hulking blueliners the back end. I liked this version the most, but we still lost in the first round.

I think things would be slightly different for us if Jake Muzzin had been healthy during our playoff runs, but that only changes the team narrative, it doesn't give Mitch any goals or more than 4 points in the Mtl series. Andersen and Samsonov could have made more saves, but that doesn't make Mitch look good against Florida or Boston #2 or #3. Marner was incredible against Boston the first time and if that player came out every time, we'd have won some rounds by now. Between Boston #1 and #2, we moved on from JVR, Bozak, and Matt Martin, and added Muzzin and Tavares. Was Martin that important to Marner? Did Tavares somehow make him worse? I don't actually recall Marner being bad in Boston #2, I think Bergeron was matched against his line the whole time, but it was after that season when he signed his big contract that he stopped contributing entirely in the playoffs.

For years now Marner has been the straw that stirs the drink on the Leafs. When he's clicking, we win games. When he struggles, we struggle. Matthews is the better player, but the team generally goes where Marner takes us. Well, look where we are; it's time for a new structure. Rolling it back again and again, hoping to get the recipe right is what we've done for 8 years. It made sense for a while, but that time has passed.

Playoffs would look like this:
View attachment 875155
OMG this is too funny, 10/10 post

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I would have preferred to work with Kadri rather than forcing a trade. Cannot make the same mistake with Marner.
The Kadri trade was a result of Kadi himself acting inappropriately at the wrong times resulting in playoff suspensions. And yes, in hindsight, our Leafs management should have worked with him in a meaningful way to correct his inappropriate responses, especially in the playoffs.

The problem was that Dubas traded Kadri for a totally underwhelming return. He traded Kadri for the sake of trading Kadri, and NOT returning a 'Kadri' type player with better self-control.

Dubas needed to trade Kadri for a heart and soul type of physical player whom also possessed a touch of skill. A D-man, with the aforementioned qualities, that could be partnered with Rielly would have been my choice.

The Kadri trade was also rushed IMHO. At that time, waiting for the right return would have made more sense. A Marner trade needs to be well planned and not made in haste. I would want a sign and trade option, for the right return, hopefully prior to the new year.

If futures is what is wanted by management, target a sign and trade just prior to this year's draft. If an established player is the target of a return, then try to wait for the right return in a sign and trade scenerio prior to the end of the year.

Also, we need the return to be player(s) with term or are open to re-signing at the time of the trade. No friggen rentals !!!

JMHO.

• Love
Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad