Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Marner has a plus 16 playing without Mathews
Mathews has a plus 6 playing without marner

But hw will say you're taking limited critera...that's becoming his only argument when that's doesn't showing what he want to see

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Also just read the article comments and its pretty low grade rubbish

Tapping in, the puck isnt a high end skill or a skill set that is more valuable then being able to get a pass through to an empty or partially covered man

Otherwise Zach Hyman would be more valuable than Mcdavid, Bouchard, draisaitl

That analysis looks to be the beginning of the tavares dick riding which has been going on here for last half a decade. Was a tough pill for fans and media to swallow that Tavares was absurdly overpaid 19-20 onwards and a ghost in the playoffs.

Its a similar level piece that marner gets when media tries to pretend his defense is game changing and elite, or that his offensive capabilities are the reason this team is so good in the regular season.

Marner is far more productive with Matthews than Tavares. Last season, he was only 10th in even-strength production. Had he played a full season with Tavares, that number would’ve been even lower.

In 2018, Marner played with a 28-year-old Tavares, who had been a Hart finalist twice by then. At 28, Tavares wasn’t washed up. Marner is now the same age and has zero Hart nominations, despite playing with far superior linemates compared to what Tavares had in New York.

Watch the highlights of Marner and Tavares, and it’s clear Tavares had elite hands in tight and was an elite player. The article wasn’t rubbish at all. It’s interesting how Marner fans don’t bother to analyze individual plays but label others' extensive research as "rubbish" without providing any counterarguments. Somehow, their 15-second dismissals hold the same weight as someone else's 15+ hours of work..

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
But hw will say you're taking limited critera...that's becoming his only argument when that's doesn't showing what he want to see
lol whats your point? Jeff Schultz led the NHL with a plus 50 in 2010... was he the best player in the NHL? Was he the best player on the Captials roster? His career only spanned 400 games.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marner is far more productive with Matthews than Tavares. Last season, he was only 10th in even-strength production. Had he played a full season with Tavares, that number would’ve been even lower.

In 2018, Marner played with a 28-year-old Tavares, who had been a Hart finalist twice by then. At 28, Tavares wasn’t washed up. Marner is now the same age and has zero Hart nominations, despite playing with far superior linemates compared to what Tavares had in New York.

Watch the highlights of Marner and Tavares, and it’s clear Tavares had elite hands in tight and was an elite player. The article wasn’t rubbish at all. It’s interesting how Marner fans don’t bother to analyze individual plays but label others' extensive research as "rubbish" without providing any counterarguments. Somehow, their 15-second dismissals hold the same weight as someone else's 15+ hours of work..
That work was driven with the purpose of reaching a define conclusion, it was the start of the Tavares apologists.

If you believe Tavares had a huge impact in 2019 go and watch his goals and breakdown of his coverage.

The writer who did the "analysis" is stating an opiniated comments that are not justifiable without doing your own self deep dive into 2018-2019 season usage and play for marner and tavares. This would be the first time I have seen a net front and tap in guy get more credit than the play driving assist man (Kredier doesnt get that credit from Panarin, hyman doesnt get that credit from Mcdavid/Draisailt)

I have watched Tavares highlights from that year and he wasnt elite in tight, he had a better shot from far out which explained part of his goal rise, but he also was getting set up for tap ins, and wasnt generating anywhere near as much for marner in exchange despite being a center (matthews got marner at a ~40goal pace in 2022, scored 30G in 2023, and a ~35 goal pace in 2024).

Tavares at his prime was a better player than marner sure in 2015

His 2013 hart nomination was a gift that wasnt deserved (he wasnt a top 5 or maybe even top 10 player that year but got it due to isles making the playoffs) but it was made up by 2014 where he would have been a hart finalist if healthy

Tavares by 2019 had begun his decline, he played horrible in r1 vs Boston, and contined that into 2020 when he went 60 in 63 and then 51 in 56 the next two years at 29 and 30 years of age. His 47G and 88 point season was propped up playing with Marner, if he was elite he wouldnt have seen his play drop as far as it did the next two years. He became dependent on Nylander to drive his line since 2021-2022 to now.

I'm not a marner fan, but he was more valuable and better than tavares in 2019 for me and since then, despite playoff failures he has been bettee than Tavares by a lot. The leafs failures trace back to Tavares and Dubas decision to sign an unneeded, overpaid and declining center whose play falls of a cliff in the playoffs

Last edited:

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
That work was driven with the purpose of reaching a define conclusion, it was the start of the Tavares apologists.

If you believe Tavares had a huge impact in 2019 go and watch his goals and breakdown of his coverage.

The writer who did the "analysis" is stating an opiniated comments that are not justifiable without doing your own self deep dive into 2018-2019 season usage and play for marner and tavares. This would be the first time I have seen a net front and tap in guy get more credit than the play driving assist man (Kredier doesnt get that credit from Panarin, hyman doesnt get that credit from Mcdavid/Draisailt)

I have watched Tavares highlights from that year and he wasnt elite in tight, he had a better shot from far out which explained part of his goal rise, but he also was getting set up for tap ins, and wasnt generating anywhere near as much for marner in exchange despite being a center (matthews got marner at a ~40goal pace in 2022, scored 30G in 2023, and a ~35 goal pace in 2024).

Tavares at his prime was a better player than marner sure in 2015

His 2013 hart nomination was a gift that wasnt deserved (he wasnt a top 5 or maybe even top 10 player that year but got it due to isles making the playoffs) but it was made up by 2014 where he would have been a hart finalist if healthy

Tavares by 2019 had begun his decline, he played horrible in r1 vs Boston, and contined that into 2020 when he went 60 in 63 and then 51 in 56 the next two years at 29 and 30 years of age. His 47G and 88 point season was propped up playing with Marner, if he was elite he wouldnt have seen his play drop as far as it did the next two years. He became dependent on Nylander to drive his line since 2021-2022 to now.

I'm not a marner fan, but he was more valuable and better than tavares in 2019 for me and since then, despite playoff failures he has been bettee than Tavares by a lot. The leafs failures trace back to Tavares and Dubas decision to sign an unneeded, overpaid and declining center whose play falls of a cliff in the playoffs
Marners expected goals in 2018 with Tavares was 11.56, in 2022 with Matthew his expected goals was 12.56. One wouldve expected he wouldve improved by 2022 as he hit his prime, but he didnt really.

In case you missed it, @Dekes For Days flipped the script on Marner supporters previously saying expected points were a joke...now, according to Dekes, expected goals and goals against are more valuable than actual goals and assists. Dekes explained this to us just yesterday.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marners expected goals in 2018 with Tavares was 11.56, in 2022 with Matthew his expected goals was 12.56. One wouldve expected he wouldve improved by 2022 as he hit his prime, but he didnt really.

@Dekes For Days has flipped the script on Marner supporters...now expected goals and goals against are more valuable than actual goals and assists. Dekes explained this to us just yesterday.
Honestly I dislike Marner and Tavares

So f*** both of them if they dont show up this year

Hopefully we move on, from them both if we dont make SCF at minimum

Dekes I have on my ignore list. He was all the dubas fanboys on steroids, so makes sense he would make that point. He doesnt have a clue

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Honestly I dislike Marner and Tavares

So f*** both of them if they dont show up this year

Hopefully we move on, from them both if we dont make SCF at minimum

Dekes I have on my ignore list. He was all the dubas fanboys on steroids, so makes sense he would make that point. He doesnt have a clue
I can drink to that!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What's wrong with waiting till the season is over to decide on him? I think it would be stupid to re-sign him mid season like they did with Nylander. If they lose in the first round again, at least you have flexibility for real change. It shouldn't matter how he starts the regular season. You wait till the end to see if you should re-sign him or not.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Still hoping we don't re-sign him. Saw him look at the ref after going down 4 mins into the second. Nothing is going to change who he is. Trade him for anything we can get, and if he won't waive then let him walk. This team needs change. I'd rather some random UFAs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What's wrong with waiting till the season is over to decide on him? I think it would be stupid to re-sign him mid season like they did with Nylander. If they lose in the first round again, at least you have flexibility for real change. It shouldn't matter how he starts the regular season. You wait till the end to see if you should re-sign him or not.
Yup. In other news, what a cringeworthy Marner "feature" that was. Anyone else sick of hearing how good the kid is in the dressing room?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad