Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
There is such an obvious outcome to this. He is going to be pacing for 120 points by the end of November and the Leafs will sign him to a positively monstrous contract. 90% of fans will be thrilled. The rest will be grumpy.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
90% of fans will be thrilled. The rest will be grumpy.
Can't disagree here, there's a lot of short memories in Toronto.

Oneill on Overdrive saying the things Ive been saying about Marner:

- Marner being treated like a pee wee hockey player. All these players coming out to "support him".

- Doesnt like how Marner doesnt acknowledge that they need to win and talks as if people are out to get him. Oneill indicates that its Toronto and if you lose it happens, but "nobody is out to get you" Oneill.

- Training in the offseason to get bigger and faster is standard for all players

You can just feel the seething of the Marner PR crew as they listen to this. How dare you take away Marner's victimhood!

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
They never mention the word win. Makes me think that’s not the top priority.
Win is not the priority…….cash is and always be the priority

There is such an obvious outcome to this. He is going to be pacing for 120 points by the end of November and the Leafs will sign him to a positively monstrous contract. 90% of fans will be thrilled. The rest will be grumpy.
And he will end up with 96 points making it 8 years of not getting 100 points………….cue the excuses

Reactions: Leterman and rumman

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
And he will end up with 96 points making it 8 years of not getting 100 points………….cue the excuses
It would be an interesting sociological experiment to see if fans would love these guys if they won one Cup and then never reached that level again as Leafs.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
It would be an interesting sociological experiment to see if fans would love these guys if they won one Cup and then never reached that level again as Leafs.
The answer is yes, forever love. The 4 Conference final teams of the last 30 years all achieved sainthood. A Finals appearance would be immortal status. A Cup win.. that's Marner God level forever.

It's a straightforward scale.

Reactions: Leterman and glue

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
The answer is yes, forever love. The 4 Conference final teams of the last 30 years all achieved sainthood. A Finals appearance would be immortal status. A Cup win.. that's Marner God level forever.

It's a straightforward scale.
But Marner is never going to be "that guy".. no matter how much he is paid.. all his life, he's been given the best pathway, he's never had to dig hard for his success, and it shows during playoffs.. this is nit a player that can lead, instead, a wonderful accessory piece to an established core..
Until he understands ge's a 2nd liner on a cup team (like Kadri) he's deadweight..
Leafs will be far more opportunistic to trade him now for a #2D to play with Reilly

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Tavares wearing an A on a new Toronto Sportsnet subway poster apparently.

Matthews, Nylander, Tavares

Marner missing.

1726901275351.png

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
For me if they won the cup all would be forgiven and anything they did after that would be icing on the cake

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
For me if they won the cup all would be forgiven and anything they did after that would be icing on the cake
If they win the cup, they could miss the playoffs for the rest of their careers, show up to camp forty points over weight, never back check once, flip the bird to the fans every night, and still be BELOVED for entirety. Are we serious. One cup for a TML is the end game.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I’m not holding my breathe, but if the Leafs ever do win another cup in my lifetime I’ll definitely take ghat off my bucket list snd find something else to occupy my time…….

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I think the chances of us losing in round 1 or 2 is measurably significant. I feel like a vast majority of fans would be pleased with 1 or 2 conference finals appearances in the next 5+ years. I don't find that good enough and that seems like the absolute peak of this core, which we haven't seen by the way despite a 69 goal performance and a hart trophy in 2 different seasons. I'd very much accept a small step back to raise the ceiling of the team with a younger player. How can you look at the exciting contracts Byfield, Seider, Raymond, receive and have optimism that were going to not only maintain our standing, but improve?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
But Marner is never going to be "that guy".. no matter how much he is paid.. all his life, he's been given the best pathway, he's never had to dig hard for his success, and it shows during playoffs.. this is nit a player that can lead, instead, a wonderful accessory piece to an established core..
Until he understands ge's a 2nd liner on a cup team (like Kadri) he's deadweight..
Leafs will be far more opportunistic to trade him now for a #2D to play with Reilly

Marner is the only player amount core with a positive differential by playing the toughest matchup and still be the guy with the higher production last 25 game...but its all marner fault...

Shutdowm top opposite weapon shift after shift without working hard, it's just impossible. You will never shutdown Kucherov, pastrnak by exemple by playing at 90% of energy.

On offensive forecheck yes it was an issue but for me it was an issu for over 85% of leafs player. I would like to see offensive battle won by leafs under keefe, this number should be pretty low.

But its started with the system. #1 weakness of Keefe system is the forechecking so for sure you see it coming into the playoff...

Just in 2 days with Berube, we saw the difference. The 1st thing Berube started with is exactly the forechecking and 1v1 battle. I don't know if they gonna have more succes this season but i guarantee you than everyone will see the difference coming playoff.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Berube working these guys tirelessly, attempting to remove as much as he possibly can in a short amount of time the soft culture that Dubas and Keefe established over the past 5 years.

I'm really looking forward to watching Berube insist and demand for EVERY Leaf player to finish EVERY check physically and winning 50/50 puck battles all over the ice.

The weak and the soft will be left behind and only the big and strong will survive, while turning figure skaters into real hockey players in preparation for long playoff runs playing big heavy winning hockey.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Berube working these guys tirelessly, attempting to remove as much as he possibly can in a short amount of time the soft culture that Dubas and Keefe established over the past 5 years.
So far you got to love what Chief has said snd apparently is implementing in camp, if the players buy in and commit to doing the work this team could finally amount to something other than regular season darlings……..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

You can see Berube's mindset in his comments coming in at camp.

For example lets take rookie Grebenkin ... Check out the emphasis on "Size" and "Strong" mentioned in just 1 single line.

New Leafs head coach Craig Berube had some surprising things to say about rookie Nikita Grebenkin after the first day of on-ice sessions at training camp.

Drafted in the fifth round of the 2022 draft, Grebenkin has spent the past three seasons in the KHL, winning a Gagarin Cup championship with Magnitogorsk Metallurg last season. Since being drafted, the 21-year-old winger has skated in 119 games where he has registered 67 points, including a 19-goal, 41-point campaign last season.

The now 6'2, 210-pound right winger began training camp with the Leafs this week and after the first on-ice session, he left new head coach Craig Berube quite surprised and impressed. Berube had this to say about the dynamic winger:

"He's a strong guy. He's a big guy, strong. I was impressed with him today. It was a tough practice but his pace didn't drop off. Big, strong kid. Strong skater. Some real good stuff there, you know. I love his size."

Leafs might be moving toward bigger more physical players like Greb and Knies and away from small, soft players in the future. :wg:

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I'm really looking forward to watching Berube insist and demand for EVERY Leaf player to finish EVERY check physically and winning 50/50 puck battles all over the ice.

The weak and the soft will be left behind and only the big and strong will survive, while turning figure skaters into real hockey players in preparation for long playoff runs playing big heavy winning hockey.
Should this not be the player mentality all the time anyway? I would think every coach would demand this of their players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad