Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What constitutes a change to Alpha?

1. One round - win
  2. Two rounds - win
  3. Three rounds - win
  4. Cup - win

Like we know Messier and Gretzky won Cups together.
Messier won a Cup without Gretzky.
Gretzky didn't win a Cup without Messier.

Leafs need a Messier.
for me a Alpha is more a attitude than anything else, Dale Hunter, Gilmore, Wendel, Bobby Clark, all the Sutter boys all hated to lose and I'd bet that applied to everything from hockey to checkers.........

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He'll make way more money in Toronto than anywhere else. The opportunities to make money outside of hockey in TO are endless, especially a baby face like Mitch.

I have no doubt that they've had some preliminary discussions with Mitch and he probably didn't like the number at all. These are pro athletes with an ego at the end of the day and Mitch probably scoffed at the number that was lower than Willy's.

Maybe, we’ll see. I think Mitch wants to stay. If Nylander moves to center full time and Mitch takes 11.5 would you be okay with that? That’s the scenario I see. Or maybe Mitch makes 11.8. If Mitch wants to be a leaf I don’t think he gets 12. But I could be very wrong

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
. If Nylander moves to center full time and Mitch takes 11.5 would you be okay with that?
Can't say I would be. I think Mitch needs to be moved on from no matter what, this cap structure can't work.

But my opinion doesn't mean shit anyway - Mitch is probably getting brought back for 8 years at a wage just under Matthews.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Raymond Bourque was a loser too, until he was traded to a Stanley Cup calibre team.

Happens.
Raymond Bourque never played with guys like AM, MM, Willie and JT at the same time while three of them are in their prime.

Matthews and Nylander exude confidence. Matthews being asked if hes surprised about his scoring and he said "not really" or something to that extent. Matthews pointing to the net after scoring a goal following one that was called back, holding his ear in Chicago... he is confident and competitive.
They had not been showing their confidence consistently in the playoffs.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Raymond Bourque was a loser too, until he was traded to a Stanley Cup calibre team.

Happens.
Bourque had 11 yrs where he played 10 or more playoff games, 9 where he played 12 or more and 5 where he played 17 or more.
Pretty good.

Raymond Bourque never played with guys like AM, MM, Willie and JT at the same time while three of them are in their prime.

They had not been showing their confidence consistently in the playoffs.
No, he played with good players and that’s why they were always in the mix. Bourguiba also prioritized winning the Cup and it on the top of his priority list. I’m not sure the Leafs players you mentioned have it in their top 3.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What constitutes a change to Alpha?

1. One round - win
  2. Two rounds - win
  3. Three rounds - win
  4. Cup - win

Like we know Messier and Gretzky won Cups together.
Messier won a Cup without Gretzky.
Gretzky didn't win a Cup without Messier.

Leafs need a Messier.
Alpha is someone who will take charge. Like when everything is failing and the walls are closing in, Alpha will lead charge and put everything on their shoulders.
I have yet to see any of our beta chokers do that consistently in a playoffs series.

There will always be ONE Cup winner every season but it doesn’t mean there are no Alphas on a losing team. Bc the loser in the Cup Finals still won THREE rounds of hockey which is THREE times more than our Beta Chokers won in the past 8 years.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Metroid

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Bourque had 11 yrs where he played 10 or more playoff games, 9 where he played 12 or more and 5 where he played 17 or more.
Pretty good.

No, he played with good players and that’s why they were always in the mix.
Not someone like AM, Willie and MM as they are not just good players, they are GREAT players in the regular season.
I really don’t recall Bourque ever playing with a C like AM on the Bruins. AM is pretty much the Gretzy, Mario, Yzerman and Sakic

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not someone like AM, Willie and MM as they are not just good players, they are GREAT players in the regular season.
I really don’t recall Bourque ever playing with a C like AM on the Bruins. AM is pretty much the Gretzy, Mario, Yzerman and Sakic
Matthews isn’t like those guys, and I don’t think even cares about that. That’s fine, it’s his prerogative.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Have to disagree all 4 had way more assists than goals. AM is more like Stamkos maybe Hull and a little like Ovi.

Last edited:

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Can't say I would be. I think Mitch needs to be moved on from no matter what, this cap structure can't work.

But my opinion doesn't mean shit anyway - Mitch is probably getting brought back for 8 years at a wage just under Matthews.

Let’s say marner signs for 12
Marty 13
Marner 12
Nylander 11
That’s 36 and change with lots of money to
Sign some pieces to put us over the top

Compared to

Mcdavid 16
Drai 14
Bouchard 10
Nurse 9.5
With no money left to add

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Let’s say marner signs for 12
Marty 13
Marner 12
Nylander 11
That’s 36 and change with lots of money to
Sign some pieces to put us over the top

Compared to

Mcdavid 16
Drai 14
Bouchard 10
Nurse 9.5
With no money left to add
But it's McDavid and Drai, and they obliterate teams in the posteason single-handedly. Our guys don't.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Matthews isn’t like those guys, and I don’t think even cares about that. That’s fine, it’s his prerogative.
I am not saying AM is like them but those are pretty much the top 4 Center in the league at that time and AM is a top 4 Center in the league now.

Have to disagree all 4 had way more assists than goals. AM is more like Stamkos maybe Hull and a little like Ovi.
Once again, top 4 Centers in the league at that time and AM is a top 4 Centers in the league now.

My point is Bourque never played with a Top 4 Center in the league during his prime, while our Beta Chokers all do since AM is a Top 4 Center in the league.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Alpha is someone who will take charge. Like when everything is failing and the walls are closing in, Alpha will lead charge and put everything on their shoulders.
I have yet to see any of our beta chokers do that consistently in a playoffs series.

There will always be ONE Cup winner every season but it doesn’t mean there are no Alphas on a losing team. Bc the loser in the Cup Finals still won THREE rounds of hockey which is THREE times more than our Beta Chokers won in the past 8 years.
So winning 3 rounds changes the perception.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
But it's McDavid and Drai, and they obliterate teams in the posteason single-handedly. Our guys don't.

This year they (Oilers) went all the way to the Final, and perhaps a large reason for that was Hyman.

2023-2024

1726787157308.png

2022-2024
1726787485982.png

Leafs have to find their Hyman.

Reactions: francis246

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad