Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Who hired Dubas, and allowed him to sign the players to ridiculous contracts, allowed him to put his boy Keefe as head of the bench, let him draft smirfs, allowed him to trade away quality players for more smirfs? That’s right, it was Shanahan……..

We’re still on the smirfs thing? I think the leafs try and draft skill and in some circumstances I’m glad as an organization they went with skill over bronze. Imagine we took Ritchie over Nylander?

How did drafting big old Freddy the Goat over a smaller but more mobile Shea Theodore work out for us? The truth is you need a balanced approach.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
We’re still on the smirfs thing? I think the leafs try and draft skill and in some circumstances I’m glad as an organization they went with skill over bronze. Imagine we took Ritchie over Nylander?

How did drafting big old Freddy the Goat over a smaller but more mobile Shea Theodore work out for us? The truth is you need a balanced approach.

Okay you have no problems with small players, but are any still on the team, did they have any impact at all? The answer is a resounding no.

How about the losing players like Marchment and Hyman, couldn’t the Leafs use players like that?

You didn’t mention anything about Keefe or the contracts that were all overly player friendly, just cherry picking that Freddie the Goat didn’t work out.

You ask me who is responsible and I said Shanahan because he hired Dubas, and I think everything else wrong with the team filters down from that decision…….

Reactions: Antropovsky

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Lets see, if Marner gets eight years I’ll be in my seventies, add five years for a rebuild and I’ll almost be in my eighties, yeah I’ve probably seen my last Stanley Cup here……..
I've had similar thoughts. I was 4 years old when we won the cup in 67 so I have no memory of that either. Making the semis in 78 and 93 have been the high points for me so far, sigh.
Well I asked this to someone else this morning, they said it was Dubas’ fault. Others say the players. Some say Shanahan.

The truth is, it’s been a disappointing ride so far but we still have Matthews locked up for another 4 and Nylander for another 8. Rielly also for another 6 or 7. Until we’ve fully moved on from the group you cant completely call it failed. If they get one in the next 4, none of the other years of failure really matter right?

If we completely move on from the core and we don’t get 1 cup or even a finals run I think we can definitely say this era was the most disappointing based on talent alone. But the players are still here so they still have an opportunity to win together. They have a chance to prove everyone wrong still and as fans of the team we should be hoping for that to happen. We should want this group to win.
Yeah it's not over 'til it's over. I just think our best shot of doing something in the playoffs with these guys locked up is to move on from Marner. Spend that cap space on another Tanev type or two and I like our chances a lot better. No matter what happens, of course I want them to win and I hope they win, I just don't have high hopes at this point and if Marner is extended my expectations go even lower, put it that way.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
To me it's mental. We've never expected him to be a physical force, ditto Bill. He tightens up in key moments and doesn't initiate but defers. Hoping Berube can help him get past it.
Not a physical force, but physically able? He’s below nhl average in some of the speed and strength metrics.

Reactions: rumman

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
O'Dog on Overdrive went on a rant that he was tired of Marner's peers coming out and supporting Marner, saying what a great guy Marner is was stupid... I suspect some of the fan rage today was fermented by O'Dog's comments...kinda a lemming type relationship with the frothers. Remember when O-Dog piled on the Leafs because they didn't have each others backs? They were soft, they were gutless, now that elite players have Marners back it's suddenly an inconvenient annoyance to have another players back? Oh and the media piled on Marner for not saying anything but a Cup would be a failure. At this point they are just hating because they are in a state of fever hate and dont even have a good leg to stand on. 97 point winger and he is dog shit, irredeemable apparently. Marner said his goal was to get stronger, faster over the off season, Overdrive commentators piled on him saying that was just NHL fluff that everyone says... seriously, when is it bad to get stronger, faster? He said he really didnt go on Social media, they said that Marner was bullshitting, impossible he didnt go on Social Media ... apparently it's now news that a guy does or does not look at twitter? Like they are so intent on running this guy out of town everything Marner is negative - true frothing mob mentality.
O'Dog obviously meant have each other's back on the ice. Did you really think what he meant was if someone asks, say "oh yeah, player X is a great guy, we all love him"?
:laugh::laugh:

Players always say nice things about their teammates, 99% of the time they say nice things about players on other teams as well. It means nothing.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don’t know why you are getting upset. I literally said in my last post the criticism is fair. No one is upset or saying he shouldn’t be criticized. But keep it to the play, don’t make it personal.

a few people like Jay Rosehill who is a fcking plug, was just taking it to a crazy extreme for views. Cam Janssen has been a bit of a douche about the situation too but that’s Cam’s thing and he even admits he does it for reaction cause it’s fun to rile fans up.
Sounds like the Leafs are making it up and looking for a villain rather than owning the fact they stunk.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Okay you have no problems with small players, but are any still on the team, did they have any impact at all? The answer is a resounding no.

How about the losing players like Marchment and Hyman, couldn’t the Leafs use players like that?

You didn’t mention anything about Keefe or the contracts that were all overly player friendly, just cherry picking that Freddie the Goat didn’t work out.

You ask me who is responsible and I said Shanahan because he hired Dubas, and I think everything else wrong with the team filters down from that decision…….

Where did I say anything about liking “small players” being skilled doesn’t equate to being small.

I was one of the most vocal about how trading Marchment was stupid as hell. No one is cherry picking anything. I said you need a balanced approach. the organization over the years has got it wrong on both ends. Size doesn’t really matter. You need good players that’s it. There are a ton of gritty small players and a ton of bigger skilled players.

As for Hyman, sucks to lose him but Hyman was not his current iteration of himself when he entered UFA. So I understand the organizations disposition. He was coming off a major knee injury, was older and he wasn’t productive in the playoffs and didn’t want to take a little less to stay a maple leaf.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
O'Dog obviously meant have each other's back on the ice. Did you really think what he meant was if someone asks, say "oh yeah, player X is a great guy, we all love him"?
:laugh::laugh:

Players always say nice things about their teammates, 99% of the time they say nice things about players on other teams as well. It means nothing.

Have each others back ONLY on the ice and then say shit about him off ice good to know... only in your mind is public support is not considered support. Keep coming up with those nuggets of wisdom Socrates.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I could agree with all of that. I think you’re spot on. I would add on, Andersen refusing to play for the team during the MTL series. Shame, but a lot of those conversations were edited out of the all or nothing. If he was willing to play and could get over the mental stuff I think we win that series easily.
Yup and it’s so frustrating……..and I don’t do frustration well. Lol

Reactions: francis246

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
O'Dog on Overdrive went on a rant that he was tired of Marner's peers coming out and supporting Marner, saying what a great guy Marner is was stupid... I suspect some of the fan rage today was fermented by O'Dog's comments...kinda a lemming type relationship with the frothers. Remember when O-Dog piled on the Leafs because they didn't have each others backs? They were soft, they were gutless, now that elite players have Marners back it's suddenly an inconvenient annoyance to have another players back? Oh and the media piled on Marner for not saying anything but a Cup would be a failure. At this point they are just hating because they are in a state of fever hate and dont even have a good leg to stand on. 97 point winger and he is dog shit, irredeemable apparently. Marner said his goal was to get stronger, faster over the off season, Overdrive commentators piled on him saying that was just NHL fluff that everyone says... seriously, when is it bad to get stronger, faster? He said he really didnt go on Social media, they said that Marner was bullshitting, impossible he didnt go on Social Media ... apparently it's now news that a guy does or does not look at twitter? Like they are so intent on running this guy out of town everything Marner is negative - true frothing mob mentality.
I think there's a bit of a difference between sticking up for a teammate who's being mugged during a game, and offering a few nice words about a friend who happens to play on a different team.

I have no problem with the fact that pretty much all current players say nice things about their fellow union members, but I think perspective is needed. I don't think it's stupid, but I don't think it means a lot.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Albert Einstein would tell you that he never actually said that. And then he would probably laugh at how incredibly wrong it is in most circumstances.
Playing a few of the same players and getting different results is literally what happens every game for every team in every season.
Hockey is pretty much entirely that. In fact, that's pretty much what all of sports is.
Einstein said basically the same think last week on his blog, adding that everything you read on the internet is true. :sarcasm:

That has to be one of the most commonly misattributed and misapplied statements of all time.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I've had similar thoughts. I was 4 years old when we won the cup in 67 so I have no memory of that either. Making the semis in 78 and 93 have been the high points for me so far, sigh.
I remember the four cups in the 60s, so at least I have that.

But if they sign Marner to a max extension I will be 80 before it ends.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Have each others back ONLY on the ice and then say shit about him off ice good to know... only in your mind is public support is not considered support. Keep coming up with those nuggets of wisdom Socrates.
Nobody said anything about saying shit about him off the ice. Might want to work on your reading comprehension there Socrates.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
5 years of making $11 mil dollars and people are hoping a coach can help push him over the edge. He should be over the edge already. This is just sad and backwards
I read the other day that he has potential, that has to be worth something no? Not sure how many millions exactly but something anyway amirite?

Someone else is giddy today because he skated for a few days with some star players and that means a lot because Marner's "a sponge" so who knows, maybe he's over the edge now as it is? ;)

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Lets see, if Marner gets eight years I’ll be in my seventies, add five years for a rebuild and I’ll almost be in my eighties, yeah I’ve probably seen my last Stanley Cup here……..
In the same basic range. Sucks when you actually do the math doesn't it. :wally:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Nobody said anything about saying shit about him off the ice. Might want to work on your reading comprehension there Socrates.

You implied that off ice is not as important as on ice, disingenuous much?

Can we please talk about how highly acclaimed Marner's offseason was.

Faster, stronger... no car thefts... WINNING!!!

Einstein said basically the same think last week on his blog, adding that everything you read on the internet is true. :sarcasm:

That has to be one of the most commonly misattributed and misapplied statements of all time.

It's not? I'm telling Santa you are a bad man!

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I think there's a bit of a difference between sticking up for a teammate who's being mugged during a game, and offering a few nice words about a friend who happens to play on a different team.

I have no problem with the fact that pretty much all current players say nice things about their fellow union members, but I think perspective is needed. I don't think it's stupid, but I don't think it means a lot.

Anyway you cut it, it is still having a guys back... flying, taking the train or driving a car to go to Toronto are all different ways to get there, in the end you end up in the same spot. Yes there is a difference but you get the same end result. When someone comes to your defence on ice you get the warm fuzzies and it builds trust, when someone say's something nice about you, you get the warm fuzzies and it builds trust.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I find it interesting that Tre has not once come out and said getting Marner signed is a top priority.

He said those exact words about Matthews and Nylander so I really don't know what the plan with Marner is anymore.

My guess is that if the Leafs find some success in the post season that end up resigning him, but maybe are willing to let him walk if it turns out to be the same old song and dance

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Pretty simple to me. Treliving and Mitch's agent agree to wait until season is over so Tavares comes off the books. Then there is enough cap space to sign Mitch - the amount depends on team playoff success (or lack of).

Seems like both sides are waiting for this, and it smells like it just might be an amicable agreement between everyone to keep Mitch in Toronto. JT off the books first is the key.

Reactions: Jojalu

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

@francis246 is the strawman fallacy king

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad