Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There are hundreds of podcasts for the leafs alone. Not everyone has just been saying nice things or just talking about the situation. It’s a bit naive to assume that. I rotate watching most and it hasn’t been pretty conversations surrounding Marner which is fair.

Off the top of my head Cam and Strict Podcast has been pretty harsh on Marner, even the SDPN has been pushing the trade Marner, you can’t run it back with him. The Spitting Chicklets crew has been pretty vocal about him and most notably the podcast Jay Rosehill is on. That’s 4 of the popular ones. There’s many others that are strictly leaf based that have basically destroyed Marner hahaha it’s pretty entertaining.
Of course they were harsh on him? He stunk. What would you expect? Anyone that analyzed their performance came to the same conclusion. Should they try re-write history and omit the facts, like some do on here.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Lmao it's like he was in the hyperbolic time chamber for 3 days with the way these folks are talking :laugh:
You know what's really funny. You guys have to tear down what his peers said about him, because it doesn't fit your bash enduring narratives. I mean it's plain as day, I'm just noting what he's said and the best in the game about him. That's doesn't jive with you and the other bottom feeders, so you all laugh and dismiss it, when it just an objective fact. They LOVE Marner and appreciate his game. Cup winners, hall of famers, the most well respected. Unlike you and the bell curve contingent you can be more sophisticated, like admitting he stunk when it mattered most, he needs to do more. You absolutions are boring. Now go get some likes and pat yourself on the back with the others and make fun of an objective observation.

He skated with the best in the game, he absorbed things and they appreciated him. It's okay, don't be so INSECURE. Lmao is right, it's just mob mentality bs.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Of course they were harsh on him? He stunk. What would you expect? Anyone that analyzed their performance came to the same conclusion. Should they try re-write history and omit the facts, like some do on here.

I don’t know why you are getting upset. I literally said in my last post the criticism is fair. No one is upset or saying he shouldn’t be criticized. But keep it to the play, don’t make it personal.

a few people like Jay Rosehill who is a fcking plug, was just taking it to a crazy extreme for views. Cam Janssen has been a bit of a douche about the situation too but that’s Cam’s thing and he even admits he does it for reaction cause it’s fun to rile fans up.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You know what's really funny. You guys have to tear down what his peers said about him, because it doesn't fit your bash enduring narratives. I mean it's plain as day, I'm just noting what he's said and the best in the game about him. That's doesn't jive with you and the other bottom feeders, so you all laugh and dismiss it, when it just an objective fact. They LOVE Marner and appreciate his game. Cup winners, hall of famers, the most well respected. Unlike you and the bell curve contingent you can be more sophisticated, like admitting he stunk when it mattered most, he needs to do more. You absolutions are boring. Now go get some likes and pat yourself on the back with the others and make fun of an objective observation.

He skated with the best in the game, he absorbed things and they appreciated him. It's okay, don't be so INSECURE. Lmao is right, it's just mob mentality bs.
I'm not tearing down anything his peers say about him, so settle down.

Today's hockey culture is a hell of a lot different than it was 20-30 years ago. Everybody's friends nowadays and nobody's gonna badmouth eachother. It really doesn't interest me whatsoever how much stars from other teams compliment Marner, none of them are going to go on interviews/social media and say "Yeah Marner's still just a tiny twerp who's never gonna cut it in the posteason". But that's good and nice that a little 3 day getaway can get you nice and giddy for Marner, you're more than welcome to feel that way.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There are hundreds of podcasts for the leafs alone. Not everyone has just been saying nice things or just talking about the situation. It’s a bit naive to assume that. I rotate watching most and it hasn’t been pretty conversations surrounding Marner which is fair.

Off the top of my head Cam and Strict Podcast has been pretty harsh on Marner, even the SDPN has been pushing the trade Marner, you can’t run it back with him. The Spitting Chicklets crew has been pretty vocal about him and most notably the podcast Jay Rosehill is on. That’s 4 of the popular ones. There’s many others that are strictly leaf based that have basically destroyed Marner hahaha it’s pretty entertaining.
Yup. I don't listen to podcasts but every now and then I catch some of Overdrive and they've been very critical of Marner, especially O'Dog. The guy has not lived up to his cap hit in the playoffs and therefore, many people are critical of him. Pretty amazing that there are people who don't understand this simple fact.

Today's hockey culture is a hell of a lot different than it was 20-30 years ago. Everybody's friends nowadays and nobody's gonna badmouth eachother. It really doesn't interest me whatsoever how much stars from other teams compliment Marner, none of them are going to go on interviews/social media and say "Yeah Marner's still just a tiny twerp who's never gonna cut it in the posteason".
100% this. It's hilarious that people put stock into what his peers say. Not sure how many times I've read here about how "his teammates love him" as if that means anything.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Today's hockey culture is a hell of a lot different than it was 20-30 years ago. Everybody's friends nowadays and nobody's gonna badmouth eachother. It really doesn't interest me whatsoever how much stars from other teams compliment Marner, none of them are going to go on interviews/social media and say "Yeah Marner's still just a tiny twerp who's never gonna cut it in the posteason". But that's good and nice that a little 3 day getaway can get you nice and giddy for Marner, you're more than welcome to feel that way.
Ya but Jay Rosehill is an oracle.

Eff me. Whatever.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I made a small tongue-in-cheek comment about pumping Marner to encourage trade talks, and one poster lost his mind and went into full blown inane question mode, as he has been known to do.
Welcome to the club………

FD4REDR7VFBNPBGEGTJDEIVUFA

Reactions: AvroArrow

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Obviously anything positive must be a league wide conspiracy, why can't they just be truthful? Don't believe anything anyone says, unless it's negative, those guys are the true froth leaders.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
All you need is 1 run. So while it’s disappointing they haven’t got it done the last 8 years, they still have many more to go. The job isn’t done yet, I do truly believe they will get it done within the next few years. Might just be a longer wait than we anticipated.

Also i’m confused by this, so whose fault is it then? Is it Dubas’ ? because I’m being told it’s the cores fault, but you’re saying we didn’t have goaltending or defense. So which is it?

Personally I think there’s a number of factors, but genuinely interested to hear your take.
It’s all Shanahan’s fault, he built this mess and continues to destroy the franchise………

Reactions: freshwind

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

O'Dog on Overdrive went on a rant that he was tired of Marner's peers coming out and supporting Marner, saying what a great guy Marner is was stupid... I suspect some of the fan rage today was fermented by O'Dog's comments...kinda a lemming type relationship with the frothers. Remember when O-Dog piled on the Leafs because they didn't have each others backs? They were soft, they were gutless, now that elite players have Marners back it's suddenly an inconvenient annoyance to have another players back? Oh and the media piled on Marner for not saying anything but a Cup would be a failure. At this point they are just hating because they are in a state of fever hate and dont even have a good leg to stand on. 97 point winger and he is dog shit, irredeemable apparently. Marner said his goal was to get stronger, faster over the off season, Overdrive commentators piled on him saying that was just NHL fluff that everyone says... seriously, when is it bad to get stronger, faster? He said he really didnt go on Social media, they said that Marner was bullshitting, impossible he didnt go on Social Media ... apparently it's now news that a guy does or does not look at twitter? Like they are so intent on running this guy out of town everything Marner is negative - true frothing mob mentality.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
In the opinion of one of the great minds in history, this is the definition of a Leafs fan:
Insanity (Leaf fans) Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results- Albert Einstein
Albert Einstein would tell you that he never actually said that. And then he would probably laugh at how incredibly wrong it is in most circumstances.
Playing a few of the same players and getting different results is literally what happens every game for every team in every season.
Hockey is pretty much entirely that. In fact, that's pretty much what all of sports is.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The only thing I can think of is that they know how unhappy many fans are about Marner constantly disappearing when the going gets tough in the playoffs, so they're trying to pump up his image.
Begs the question what do the fans see that management doesn’t? Guy’s a ghost come April……..

Just when they talk to the media.

Matthews, for example said words like “All the noise”, “scapegoat”, “that stuff affected him”…..

Anyone know what he’s referring to?

If anything, the media covers for him.
Just a guess, but it’s probably something like God’s don’t like criticism……….

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It’s all Shanahan’s fault, he built this mess and continues to destroy the franchise………

Well I asked this to someone else this morning, they said it was Dubas’ fault. Others say the players. Some say Shanahan.

The truth is, it’s been a disappointing ride so far but we still have Matthews locked up for another 4 and Nylander for another 8. Rielly also for another 6 or 7. Until we’ve fully moved on from the group you cant completely call it failed. If they get one in the next 4, none of the other years of failure really matter right?

If we completely move on from the core and we don’t get 1 cup or even a finals run I think we can definitely say this era was the most disappointing based on talent alone. But the players are still here so they still have an opportunity to win together. They have a chance to prove everyone wrong still and as fans of the team we should be hoping for that to happen. We should want this group to win.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Obviously anything positive must be a league wide conspiracy, why can't they just be truthful? Don't believe anything anyone says, unless it's negative, those guys are the true froth leaders.

Has to be, impossible a 97 point winger has nothing to give to any team.. the guy should just retire... clearly his career is in the twilight.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Weird to equate a "summer" to just 3 days. Coulda just said Marner hanging around those studs for a weekend instead. But to each their own. Just makin sure people are aware it was just a short camp and not a month long thing.
Speaking of summer, all indications were he had a great one, not just three days. I get it, I just don't understand why every post with a speck of optimism is laughed at. But to each their own, but the joke isn't what people think.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yup. I don't listen to podcasts but every now and then I catch some of Overdrive and they've been very critical of Marner, especially O'Dog. The guy has not lived up to his cap hit in the playoffs and therefore, many people are critical of him. Pretty amazing that there are people who don't understand this simple fact.

100% this. It's hilarious that people put stock into what his peers say. Not sure how many times I've read here about how "his teammates love him" as if that means anything.

Marner isn’t above reproach or critique. As you mentioned with his cap hit, he has to be better. Especially in the goal scoring department. He is skilled but the criticism isn’t unwarranted. As mentioned some people take it farther because it gets clicks and views but that’s apart of being an athlete.

Marner himself said he isn’t on social media anymore and the last two years doesn’t read or listen to those things. Usually people in his inner circle send it to him. I actually liked his press conference this year, he wasn’t overly defensive. Recognized he needs to be better and most importantly didn’t say anything stupid. I do want him to have a good year because I want the leafs to win a cup, he’s a Maple Leaf at the end of the day and in order to do that he’s gotta play good so I hope he figures it out.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Speaking of summer, all indications were he had a great one, not just three days. I get it, I just don't understand why every post with a speck of optimism is laughed at. But to each their own, but the joke isn't what people think.
They didn't say in past years that he had a 'great summer'.
Einstein says that's proof that this is the first summer he's trained.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well I asked this to someone else this morning, they said it was Dubas’ fault. Others say the players. Some say Shanahan.

The truth is, it’s been a disappointing ride so far but we still have Matthews locked up for another 4 and Nylander for another 8. Rielly also for another 6 or 7. Until we’ve fully moved on from the group you cant completely call it failed. If they get one in the next 4, none of the other years of failure really matter right?

If we completely move on from the core and we don’t get 1 cup or even a finals run I think we can definitely say this era was the most disappointing based on talent alone. But the players are still here so they still have an opportunity to win together. They have a chance to prove everyone wrong still and as fans of the team we should be hoping for that to happen. We should want this group to win.
Who hired Dubas, and allowed him to sign the players to ridiculous contracts, allowed him to put his boy Keefe as head of the bench, let him draft smirfs, allowed him to trade away quality players for more smirfs? That’s right, it was Shanahan……..

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Cause people want everyone to be miserable here. They think it’s going to spark change. Unhappy fans = someone traded or moved. We know this ain’t true though. MLSE doesn’t care what fans think or want otherwise Marner would have been moved.

I personally don’t care if people think my optimism is stupid. I watch the leafs for enjoyment and fun. It’s not life or death. Everyone has the choice to stop watching if the team pisses them off so much. So ima believe in them every year until I’m a goner.

Reactions: Madap and Metroid

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Cause people want everyone to be miserable here. They think it’s going to spark change. Unhappy fans = someone traded or moved. We know this ain’t true though. MLSE doesn’t care what fans think or want otherwise Marner would have been moved.

I personally don’t care if people think my optimism is stupid. I watch the leafs for enjoyment and fun. It’s not life or death. Everyone has the choice to stop watching if the team pisses them off so much. So ima believe in them every year until I’m a goner.
:clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad