Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Dubas signing Tavares when he was the last thing we needed was the start of the problems. The negotiations with Matthews and Marner were poorly handled. The only contract at the time that was handled properly was Willy. The other major mistake is once Dubas realized (like the rest of the hockey world) that you can’t build a team spending 50% of your cap on similar forwards he did not pivot and move one of them to change things up.
His final major blunder was treating goal tending as an afterthought by continuing to pick up broken down and beaten
Special mention goes to keepin Keefe long after it was obvious it wasn’t working

I could agree with all of that. I think you’re spot on. I would add on, Andersen refusing to play for the team during the MTL series. Shame, but a lot of those conversations were edited out of the all or nothing. If he was willing to play and could get over the mental stuff I think we win that series easily.

Reactions: Racer88

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why are you so obsessed with associating everything with Nylander. It’s weird.

Are you still obsessed with that one ^^^^^^^^play ^^^^^^^^ where he chased the guy back into his own end and then peeled off to the bench on a line change after a long shift?
you forgot “hundred” and “ during the playoffs”

• Haha
Reactions: notDatsyuk

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We keep hearing about the media taking shots at Marner. Who, where, when? Has there been an example? Simmons wrote an article last year at the beginning of playoffs, surely that’s not what they call taking a shot at him.

Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We keep hearing about the media taking shots at Marner. Who, where, when? Has there been an example? Simmons wrote an article last year at the beginning of playoffs, surely that’s not what they call taking a shot at him.
We do?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Just when they talk to the media.

Matthews, for example said words like “All the noise”, “scapegoat”, “that stuff affected him”…..

Anyone know what he’s referring to?

If anything, the media covers for him.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Berube said today he is a great player, excited to work with him and he’s a key player for the team.

And the tweet said negotiations are under way. I believe it’s just a matter of time. Team clearly values him differently than a portion of the fan base.

And I’m dreading the amount! But it’s gonna get done.
Meh.

Tre isn’t a miracle worker. Cap hell isn’t a place where you get better.

Signing Marner = Jeraey sales > cup.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Matthews, for example said words like “All the noise”, “scapegoat”, “that stuff affected him”…..

Probably just all the stuff around the team after losing again and if changes should be made.

I don't think anyone is covering for him, more an explanation of how things are aimed at those that don't understand that sort of stuff.

Reactions: francis246

Beanzy

Nov 14, 2018
Meh.. as much as I believe its necessary, taking it away may do more harm to the team than good. It would be an absurd amount of negative media attention/distraction towards him/team, and he already a big distraction. My guess hes splitting it still (i think towards the end he also appears not wearing an A?)

Was it really his to take away, though? He alternated with Matthews last year like a Novice house league team, if I'm not mistaken.

I mean, if the org had the balls to take the 'C' away from John; they should have also looked elsewhere for the remainder of the leadership group imo. Just feels like they're continuing to cater to Marner, so as not to shatter his fragile ego.

Anyways, Sunday yayyyyyy lol

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

They are referring most likely to podcasts which is now considered media

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Marner hanging around those studs this summer, can only help. You could tell he was a sponge, and the feedback he was getting is good for the confidence. Look, he needs to do more, but he’s a special player and can change the narratives with one strong playoff run. I don’t care what the ankle biters say, I remain cautiously optimistic this kid is now a man and will pierce through this mental wall.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner hanging around those studs this summer, can only help. You could tell he was a sponge, and the feedback he was getting is good for the confidence. Look, he needs to do more, but he’s a special (regular season) player and can change the narratives with one strong playoff run. I don’t care what the ankle biters say, I remain cautiously optimistic this kid is now a man and will pierce through this mental wall.
FYP.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They are referring most likely to podcasts which is now considered media
That is the media, but who are taking shots at him? Everything I’ve heard is just analyzing the situation, and the facts are, Marner has been terrible in the playoffs.

Marner hanging around those studs this summer, can only help. You could tell he was a sponge, and the feedback he was getting is good for the confidence. Look, he needs to do more, but he’s a special player and can change the narratives with one strong playoff run. I don’t care what the ankle biters say, I remain cautiously optimistic this kid is now a man and will pierce through this mental wall.
Is it mental, physical, or both?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The camp was 3 days long lol.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That is the media, but who are taking shots at him? Everything I’ve heard is just analyzing the situation, and the facts are, Marner has been terrible in the playoffs.

There are hundreds of podcasts for the leafs alone. Not everyone has just been saying nice things or just talking about the situation. It’s a bit naive to assume that. I rotate watching most and it hasn’t been pretty conversations surrounding Marner which is fair.

Off the top of my head Cam and Strict Podcast has been pretty harsh on Marner, even the SDPN has been pushing the trade Marner, you can’t run it back with him. The Spitting Chicklets crew has been pretty vocal about him and most notably the podcast Jay Rosehill is on. That’s 4 of the popular ones. There’s many others that are strictly leaf based that have basically destroyed Marner hahaha it’s pretty entertaining.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
The camp was 3 days long lol.

:DD

He sponged while they worked out? Was he still a kid last year? How can he change 8 years of playoff suckage by one strong playoff run? Do you predict we'll win the Cup with Mitch being Smythe winner?

You make a lot of wage assumptions. Care to elaborate?

edit: As you put it, there are studs and there is Marner

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
There are hundreds of podcasts for the leafs alone. Not everyone has just been saying nice things or just talking about the situation. It’s a bit naive to assume that. I rotate watching most and it hasn’t been pretty conversations surrounding Marner which is fair.

Off the top of my head Cam and Strict Podcast has been pretty harsh on Marner, even the SDPN has been pushing the trade Marner, you can’t run it back with him. The Spitting Chicklets crew has been pretty vocal about him and most notably the podcast Jay Rosehill is on. That’s 4 of the popular ones. There’s many others that are strictly leaf based that have basically destroyed Marner hahaha it’s pretty entertaining.
They gear these shows towards the bottom feeders. Over the top negativity pays the bills.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
One day the narrative is "the haters on blogs/forums are just a minuscule group who have no impact on anything"

Then the next day it's "Leafs management is clearly aware of the negative narrative around Marner, which is why Treliving hasn't made any comments on it."

The story changes everyday with the Marner PR crew depending on the argument they're trying to make.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

To me it's mental. We've never expected him to be a physical force, ditto Bill. He tightens up in key moments and doesn't initiate but defers. Hoping Berube can help him get past it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad