Marner Predictions - What Happens Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Happens With Marner Now

• Total voters

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He is worth like 9m and maybe 10m at a stretch. About the same as Nylander but I would take WN over MM in a heartbeat.

I am pissed about the playoffs too but it's just not true. Panarin got 11M in free agency like 6 years ago, so did Tavares a few years earlier. Marner is better than both at that point of their careers. He puts up numbers with those guys but also plays the PK and has had Selke attention.

Marner would command a strong market. Everyone at this point realizes the pattern of if they get the guy being run out of Toronto, it usually works out for them.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am pissed about the playoffs too but it's just not true. Panarin got 11M in free agency like 6 years ago, so did Tavares a few years earlier. Marner is better than both at that point of their careers. He puts up numbers with those guys but also plays the PK and has had Selke attention.

Marner would command a strong market. Everyone at this point realizes the pattern of if they get the guy being run out of Toronto, it usually works out for them.

Ya but Panarin got overpaid too. Compare to like Kucherov etc. Much more realistic but if we count overpays, sure that's the price. If someone wants to pay they pay. Look we are towing around JTs reanimated corpse out there.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It’s all a cover up. They lie about his height, weight, work ethic.

He must be the worlds greatest natural athlete to put up the points he does being a scrawny lazy midget.
Worlds greatest? Hes playesd what, thr last 4 seasons with a 11.5 million dollar, Ted Lindsay winner, Hart winner, a player whose been voted by as his peers as more valuable then Mcdavid the past 2/3 years. Yet Marner still is struggling to reach 100 points. all ths while playing on a team who has prioritized offense over defense. Dont take my word for it..
Boudreau said it a few days ago on a podcast. playing 5vs5 primarily with Matthews yet has stength points hovering around the likes of Ehlers and Brock Nelson. Yeah..not impressive.

And he is scrawny. Nobody is making it up.Last training camp he was officially listed as 6' 180 lbs. Meanwhile Nylander was 6' 200. 20lbs of muscle is significant Hence why Berube called Nylander big and strong today.

Reactions: rumman
Jul 10, 2003
KW

As a ufa Marner would not be as highly coveted as Tavares was. Also he’s not better than Panarin imho.

• Haha
Reactions: francis246
Jul 10, 2003
KW
He is worth like 9m and maybe 10m at a stretch. About the same as Nylander but I would take WN over MM in a heartbeat.

If Marner had signed a market value rfa deal, say 8.5 - 9, we probably get Ufa Nylander deal at 9 - 10, then ufa Marner should come in at the same cap percentage as ufa Nylander. With proper management we’d have both under 20 combined, instead of 24. I’d actually consider keeping both at that 20 max, here in what should have been land.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Probably. I wouldn't say it's 100% certain though, at least I'm hoping there are some open minds among our teams decision makers.
I think it's a decision that has already been made above Treliving's head. I don't think upper management has any appetite for risk, and trading Marner involves significant risk. There is also no chance that they simply let him leave as a free agent as they won't waste that asset, so the only remaining option is to resign him. I'm sure they will haggle over the length of the contract, but it's hard to imagine that the AAV doesn't start with a 12.

As a ufa Marner would not be as highly coveted as Tavares was. Also he’s not better than Panarin imho.
I think Panarin is definitely the better player.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think it's a decision that has already been made above Treliving's head. I don't think upper management has any appetite for risk, and trading Marner involves significant risk. There is also no chance that they simply let him leave as a free agent as they won't waste that asset, so the only remaining option is to resign him. I'm sure they will haggle over the length of the contract, but it's hard to imagine that the AAV doesn't start with a 12.

I think Panarin is definitely the better player.
Playoffs will determine everything.
If they crash out again in the first round even if MM already signed a new deal, I just don’t see how anyone would run it back.
The JT money will be split among McCabe, Knies and Woll new deal for next season.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Always the victim

He looked like a whipped dog in that interview...defeated, sulking. Claimed he still believes in this group, yet showed no outward confidence. When a reporter asked, "Rielly pretty much said it's Cup or bust. Do you feel the same?"

"I don’t want to think too far ahead," he replied

Once again, he brought up how tough it is to win the Cup, how all 32 teams want it. Seems like he's mentally preparing for another first-round exit rather than seriously chasing the Cup.

This is not a guy who should be viewed as a leader. He should be more like Kessel was in Pittsburgh—an awkward, camera-shy figure who's not in peak athletic shape (skinny isnt peak), but someone likeable, funny, and expected to produce. Let him focus on his role without being the face of the team or carrying its pressure. And pay him accordingly. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. He would probably be more effective.

One thing I’ll give him: he seems humbled around the media in recent interviews. Probably because he's realizing he might not be as wanted, or that his future in Toronto isn’t entirely in his hands anymore, a choice he thought would always be his only. Now, he comes off as just another player, not the untouchable star who thought he was too important to be criticized.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I agree the market would be strong. I disagree on the run out of Toronto thing in this case. Go back to Larry Murphy, see Phil Kessel and everyone else in between. Expectations too high, system was the wrong fit, usage was incorrect etc. etc... None of them were paid amongst the top players in the world at their position. it is a salary cap world and for that coin you better be driving this team towards a cup. Not a complementary piece on the third line and PP2 of an already stacked team.

Such a big difference between Marner and the ghosts of Leafs past. Paid to compete for a cup, not bail in a game 7.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think Rogers more likely to go after McDavid and trade Marner
Mcdavid is a highly competitive individual. Im sure he lies awake at night thinking about how incredible it would be to be the one who brings home a Cup to the Leafs. Also, money is the same (both Canada), im sure endorsements would jump significantly, city is better...its not like the Stamkos situation.

Im pretty convinced he wants to sign here as a UFA

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Playoffs will determine everything.
If they crash out again in the first round even if MM already signed a new deal, I just don’t see how anyone would run it back.
The JT money will be split among McCabe, Knies and Woll new deal for next season.
I think the Leafs will resign him well before the playoffs.

Reactions: bax

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Im doubtful Marner will command a strong market. Maybe for a team not looking to spend to the cap and wants to just grow their brand and has difficulty atteacting players. Huberdeau could be a comparable as a buyer beware example.

Kessel. Everyone knew he was talented and an incredible player. He just didnt fit in to a rebuilding Leaf team and he fit in perfectly with a team with one of the best (if not best) group of leaders. He wasnt necessarily "run out". Leafs also wanted to tank. Babs made it very clear they needed to draft as high as possible for any future success... and it worked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad