Marner has reportedly hired private security and is refusing to speak with some members of the media

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Not a Marner fan in the least but this kind of crap is getting out of hand. Bash him as a hockey player all you want… mostly warranted… take a run at his character based on his actions… fair enough… but threatening him or his family (serious intent or not)? WTF is the matter with these morons in today’s society?
Did someone on the board threaten him or his family?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
There’s a reason why so many nhl players prefer to play down south. Anonymity is attractive to a lot. They are multi-millionaires and living nhl lives but get to walk the streets of their home city totally unknown.
Exactly. It sucks but it’s true.

I’ve said this numerous times in the past decade… we will never see another Cup winning team in Canada. There are so many hurdles to jump over that it would take a minor miracle… this kind of crap and the media are significant factors.

Did someone on the board threaten him or his family?
Where did I say that?

Reactions: Fatass

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
does anyone have any examples of Marner having a bitchy and whiney attitude?

images

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

I’ve said this numerous times in the past decade… we will never see another Cup winning team in Canada. There are so many hurdles to jump over that it would take a minor miracle… this kind of crap and the media are significant factors.

Where did I say that?
You didn't. I had to ask the question. Had you said it, I would have asked a different question.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
What happened to the great Canadian spirit and reputation

Where did I say that?
One such hurdle is to win the draft lottery and select generational talents which the Oilers have done very well to clear.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What happened to the great Canadian spirit and reputation

One such hurdle is to win the draft lottery and select generational talents which the Oilers have done very well to clear.
Leafs got Matthews the same way. And he even chose to stay in the fishbowl when he could have easily left. Hopefully Marner stays too.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I wonder if he consulted good buddy Drake about this. I hear his shadowy guys are pretty good.

But in all seriousness...this is why i feel like his NMC is a little bit of an afterthought at this point. When a hockey mad market like Toronto turns on a guy...there's really no coming back. That's not going to be a pleasant place to live and work anymore.

Big Willy Stylez can probably still ride the subway to work, relatively unbothered. Marner is persona non grata there.

At that point, it's generally best for both parties to just part ways. Move him somewhere that the magnifying glass isn't going to be squarely on him in the public sphere. Better for the Leafs and roster construction, better for Marner to be out of the fishbowl.

It's part of the challenge of building a "Cup Contender" in a Canadian City. That fan passion and "hometown opportunity" is a real double-edged sword. It can lure guys in, it can drive guys away. Some players thrive in that crucible and other crumble.

This is the wrong attitude to live your life by.

You don't capitulate to the loud and obnoxious people who yell and scream about the Earth being flat, or that the Sun orbits around the Earth, you know stupid people.

Just because a group of people who have a dozen brain cells working overtime to keep them breathing, doesn't mean you have to acquiesce to their demands.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This is the wrong attitude to live your life by.

You don't capitulate to the loud and obnoxious people who yell and scream about the Earth being flat, or that the Sun orbits around the Earth, you know stupid people.

Just because a group of people who have a dozen brain cells working overtime to keep them breathing, doesn't mean you have to acquiesce to their demands.
Especially since Marner himself said he's treated like a God in Toronto.
Marner can take it. It's his fans that need to stop whining about the boo birds.
He can shut them up with one good play off performance.

32 thoughts podcast, Friedman keeps saying that's what Marner's agent keeps trying to do with his agents, so that is a possibility.
For the leaf team and their fans it would be a good move to just let some one else over pay him.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Wasn’t he having that conversation with Matthews before he left for the game?

Now that would be an instant classic:

The guy who missed 3 playoff games with migraines (a legitimate reason, but one that has pain management options) berating a player for complaining about being so sick he needed intermittent medical treatment during the course of 2 hockey games....

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I am very far from a Mitch Marner fan, but he might be coming into his own as a responsible, rounded, supremely skilled, borderline-unstoppable pro if his dad wasn't such a raging narcissist.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
no,

Bitchy is when you bitch at someone.
Hockey players throw shit all the time.
Well he seemed to do it in response to Nylander saying "don't f-ing cry bro".

And it seemed to me to be in rather bitchy fashion.

Also, I still believe (like most) that Nylander was talking to Marner.

Marner often seems bitchy to me, but hey, beauty]ugliness lies in the eye of the beholder.

You are free to see him as you like and never let anyone convince you otherwise.

To each their own, agree to disagree and all that rot eh wot?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well he seemed to do it in response to Nylander saying "don't f-ing cry bro".

And it seemed to me to be in rather bitchy fashion.

Also, I still believe (like most) that Nylander was talking to Marner.

Marner often seems bitchy to me, but hey, beauty]ugliness lies in the eye of the beholder.

You are free to see him as you like and never let anyone convince you otherwise.

To each their own, agree to disagree and all that rot eh wot?
Regardless of how poorly Marner played these playoffs and how whiny he can be there is no way he should need body guards in his home town. He can’t walk the streets if TO without being recognized. Fans need to accept they might think they know the players when actuslly they don’t. In public Unless it’s a child approaching a player the player has no clue the intent of that person coming towards them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad