Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
From all his highlights he looked like a goalie, both handling the puck and blocking shots.

What is the amount of time needed to see his passing is off or his puck skills in general are not great and he often makes bad plays?

I was more impressed with him during the prospect games than the NCAA clips I saw.

There is NHL potential.

Time needed?

Perhaps a couple dozen games where he's actually on a team, with a system, and structure and after real games, not a couple scrimmages and highlights.

You are correct, highlights aren't games, they're snippets from games. Highlights aren't 90% of the body of work, they are "highlights."

My first thought was big man playing against boys/men in a college setting.

Expectations he never makes the NHL.

But that is a preconceived idea, not after a couple dozen pro-games against men.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Time needed?

Perhaps a couple dozen games where he's actually on a team, with a system, and structure and after real games, not a couple scrimmages and highlights.

You are correct, highlights aren't games, they're snippets from games. Highlights aren't 90% of the body of work, they are "highlights."

But that is a preconceived idea, not after a couple dozen pro-games against men.

Have you seen every player you comment on at least 24 times? That is a lot of hockey, I sure hope not.

Focusing in on a specific player in game and watching how he plays is likely more valuable than just watching a game.

Watching his shifts in games (I watched games and skipped to his shifts those are the highlights), and then these two games have given me a fairly good idea of his puck skills, and watching him make poor decisions constantly has given me a good idea of his hockey IQ.

Maybe I watched the only games where this stuff happened, but I'll bet that is not the case.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Time needed?

A guy like Webber feels like some kind of novelty in this market, but he seems like a typical type of prospect a Western Conference team will churn out on a regular basis to play some hard and heavy minutes. We'll have a better picture of what his upside is when he's played some games.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Outside of that, his passing was bad, his decision-making was worse, and defensively he gets lost.

He has a long way to go.

IQ and puck skills are lacking... he blocks shots like a goalie and is big, those are his strengths.

He has athletic ability and a lot of potential, but I think he is a project and a couple years away (if he makes it at all), he has some work.

He takes pride defending his own end because he struggles everywhere else.

What worries me too is he seems lost defensively sometimes, so even defending he struggles at time.

If he was 6'3 no one would care about him.

I disagree
He played smart hockey
Good skating for a big man

He boxed out the front of the net and protected against rebounds

He took his man into the boards and broke up any cycling attempt

He is going to be a defensive gem for us

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I disagree
He played smart hockey
Good skating for a big man

He boxed out the front of the net and protected against rebounds

He took his man into the boards and broke up any cycling attempt

He is going to be a defensive gem for us

What you described is using your body, not smarts, which I agree he did a good job with.

He needs to work on his decision-making and puck skills, he uses his strengths well.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A guy like Webber feels like some kind of novelty in this market, but he seems like a typical type of prospect a Western Conference team will churn out on a regular basis to play some hard and heavy minutes. We'll have a better picture of what his upside is when he's played some games.

Yeah.

A player in isolation in a scrimmage with a group who have played 0 games together?

If you watched Rielly in a couple games you might catch some excellent games, and miss the games where he has to defend a two on one a couple times.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The best thing I saw about Webber was that his skating was at least decent.
With that type of player, if the skating is very bad, it can really limit their ability to even be playable nowadays.
Still a bigtime project but his skating wasn't a huge issue.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
With that type of player, if the skating is very bad, it can really limit their ability to even be playable nowadays.

Just dress him when we play against the Habs as they do with Xhekaj

• Haha
Reactions: weems

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Didn't scouting reports cover his skating?
Webber skates well in straight lines and presents above average agility in open ice. His small area cuts and turns are predictably longer than smaller players. His most uncomfortable position is moving laterally, and that's where a team could expose him right now, especially off the rush.

Even years ago:
Corey Pronman of The Athletic offered the following on Webber:

"“Webber has elite athletic tools at 6-foot-7 with good skating ability, but he has little offense in his game. His puck playing ability is limited to basic passes, and he struggles when he goes beyond that.”"
His head coach in school, Peter Masters, believes that if Webber adds some muscle, he has a real shot in the pros:

"“Cade is a big-time prospect because he has a great stride and light feet for someone his size,” Masters said. “He is smart with the puck and if he fills out over his time at BU like I think he will he will be a big time, shutdown defenseman in the NHL.”"

Reactions: weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Didn't scouting reports cover his skating?

Even years ago:

Hadn't really followed this signing very closely, just knew he was tall and a shutdown type.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
the only thing you can really focus on in these games is how a player looks individually with tangible skills i.e. skating, shot etc.

its impossible to take these 2 actual game as any indication of what a player is. first real game in months, nearly none of the players have played together before ever, and literally everyone coming from completely different systems.

alot of the giveaways/bad passes/breakdowns were clearly players not knowing each other and being able to anticipate where their teammates will be on the ice.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

By Jason Bukala

September 16, 2024, 12:54 PM

After a summer of training, the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens rookies came together for a pair of games over the weekend at the Bell Centre in Montreal. The Leafs escaped with 4-3 and 5-4 victories to earn the two-game sweep. As expected, both teams played with an abundance of energy in an effort to impress upper management and earn an invite to main camps later this week.

My colleague Eric Engels has provided his takeaways from the Montreal perspective, here are my observations from the Toronto Maple Leafs side:

Toronto's overall collection of prospects

Toronto isn’t an organization flush with prospect depth. They are working at restocking the cupboards and drafting/developing players who fit the mould of how Brad Treliving and his staff want to build the structure of the team.

The group competed to the best of its ability and won both games on the weekend, but they were generally outplayed by a much deeper Montreal Canadiens team that, especially on Sunday, controlled most of the offensive-zone time and puck possession. Toronto's skill players did what they do best on the power play and capitalized on a few lucky bounces along the way, while the defence and goaltending provided just enough detail in their zone and some timely saves.

Easton Cowan

Along with Fraser Minten, Cowan was the most visible forward for the Leafs. He’s expected to compete for a job on the NHL roster, so it was imperative for Cowan to hit the ground running and impact these prospect games in Montreal.

Cowan was deployed in all situations on the weekend, contributed two goals, one assist, and was around the play every shift. He’s clearly stronger and even more explosive than a year ago. His open-ice pace led to chances in transition and his small-area quickness ended with puck possession ahead of his opponents when he darted to loose pucks.

I would like to have seen a bit more physical push back at times to create more space for himself or win a half wall battle in the defensive zone, but he was impressive overall and appears ready to challenge for a slot on left wing with the Leafs.

Fraser Minten

Minten suffered a lower-body injury in the second period Sunday. He went into the boards feet first after being pushed off balance by Montreal defender David Reinbacher.

Before the injury, Minten — who played alongside Cowan — was noticeable almost every shift. He was strong in the faceoff circle, battled to extend plays along the wall, and was physically involved. A lot of what Minten does goes unnoticed. He subtly contributes to creating open space for his linemates and goes to the net to set screens and create a distraction. He will likely need time in the AHL to further develop, but he, too, looked bigger and stronger this weekend.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Vic Johansson seems to be off to a decent start statistically for Leksands Jr team.

5 assists in 5 games and a plus 7

He's probably my least favourite pick from last draft, mostly because I didn't see any upside compared to a lot of picks on the table... but I do hope he proves me wrong. I know he had a bunch of goals in their pre-season games as well.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Ugh, I was really hoping we would draft this guy. Now I'll have to watch him playing well in Pittsburgh for Ren and Stimpy. :(

1726674792225.png

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Whats the story with Abbruzesse ? Few years ago he was touted as someone who can jump on NHL

Has he not taken the next step?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Whats the story with Abbruzesse ? Few years ago he was touted as someone who can jump on NHL

Has he not taken the next step?

Hasn't really taken a step up in development. He's average all around and doesn't really have a stand out skill outside of having a good passing game with his hockey IQ. He's probably capable depth but not likely a long-term player in the NHL.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Hasn't really taken a step up in development. He's average all around and doesn't really have a stand out skill outside of having a good passing game with his hockey IQ. He's probably capable depth but not likely a long-term player in the NHL.

Appreciate the feedback

Reactions: SprDaVE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad