Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
My quick top 10 prospect tanks

1. Cowan (W, C)
2. Grebyonkin (W)
3. Hildeby (G)
4. Minten (C)
5. Niemela (D)
6. Danford (D)
7. Tverberg (W)
8. Akhtyamov (G)
9. Chadwick (D)
10. Villeneuve (D)

HM: Quillan, Voit, Webber, Hirvonen

Robertson, Knies, and McMann graduating changes the landscape of the winger pool. I left Abruzzese and Steeves off because of their age (25 and 24).
I think Danford is ahead of Niemela. I’d much rather move Topi than Danford if given the option.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Out of curiosity, why do you have Ahktyamov over Hildeby?
He had the top save percentage in the VHL in 22-23 over a large sample size. He got a healthy number of KHL games this season and he dominated there as well. In his return to the VHL mid way through the year he went on to lead his team to a championship, winning the best goalie award in the process. He was basically the top goalie in the VHL 2 years in a row, walked his team to a championship and dominated his KHL time.

Hildeby has a significant size advantage which makes him interesting. He dominated his sample in the SHL and it has translated well to the AHL.

Just looking at the numbers I think Akhtyamov has been more dominant relative to his peers.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'd have Cowan, Grebyonkin, Hildeby, Danford and Niemela in front of Minten

I just don't see the ceiling with Minten, if you aren't a great scorer in junior what are you? He will be doing very well to top out as Kampf

Reactions: ACC1224

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I'd have Cowan, Grebyonkin, Hildeby, Danford and Niemela in front of Minten

I just don't see the ceiling with Minten, if you aren't a great scorer in junior what are you? He will be doing very well to top out as Kampf

Couldn't the same thing be said about Danford?

They are both being billed as two-way players.

Both seem like they will top out as middle pairing/middle 6.

I think after Cowan, most combinations of the next 4-5 prospects work, so not disputing your rankings, but if it is upside that is a big factor when ranking, I think he is on Danford's level.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I think after Cowan, most combinations of the next 4-5 prospects work, so not disputing your rankings, but if it is upside that is a big factor when ranking, I think he is on Danford's level.
I mean one is a centre and the other is a defensemen. The other is also 2 years older. Offensive production is a lot more important long term to a forward prospect in general then it is for d-men and Danford has two years of development time to see where he ends up by the time he is leaving junior hockey yet.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I mean one is a centre and the other is a defensemen. The other is also 2 years older. Offensive production is a lot more important long term to a forward prospect in general then it is for d-men and Danford has two years of development time to see where he ends up by the time he is leaving junior hockey yet.

If I am not mistaken, production is also a good indication if a D will develop well, could be wrong though.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I think after Cowan, most combinations of the next 4-5 prospects work, so not disputing your rankings, but if it is upside that is a big factors when ranking, I think he is on Danford's level.
His production took a jump towards the end of this season and playoffs

Minten's production has been disappointing even in his D+2

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
His production took a jump towards the end of this season and playoffs

Minten's production has been disappointing even in his D+2

His production in the playoffs was in line with his regular season production, it was even slightly less, but he did score more.

I'm not badmouthing the prospects, I just think both are viewed as topping out at #3/4D or a 2/3C, so I think the upside is similar.

And I think both of their strengths are the defensive side of the puck.

Regardless, I don't even disagree with your rankings, I just think those two are in the same tier, that is all.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
He concentrated on the defensive side of his game last year. If he becomes a 40point shutdown 3C, I'll take that over most of these prospects.

Reactions: arso40

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
His production in the playoffs was in line with his regular season production, it was even slightly less, but he did score more.

I'm not badmouthing the prospects, I just think both are viewed as topping out at #3/4D or a 2/3C, so I think the upside is similar.

And I think both of their strengths are the defensive side of the puck.

Regardless, I don't even disagree with your rankings, I just think those two are in the same tier, that is all.

I see Minten as a 4C who tops out as a 3C

I don't think the offense is going to be there, I think he's still going to be very useful defensively I just don't think he's going to put up a ton of points

I think Danford has a higher ceiling because you don't have to score a ton to be useful and play in the top 4, as long as you can defend its easy to put a so so defensively puck mover beside you

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm surprised the Leafs didn't bring back Bellows (yet). He was a fantastic addition to the Marlies last year. I feel like perhaps he earned at least a 1 year 2way deal to see if he can take another step -- and at the worst he's a top line Marlies to keep the team competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: JEI and aingefan

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Does anyone know where our goalies play this season?

I assume Murray and Hildeby split time on the Marlies. Do our two Russians share the net in the ECHL? Would they both stay here for that? Do we even have an ECHL team?

How many pro goalies do we have now including AHL contracts? Do we still have Cavallin? How about Petruzzelli?

Reactions: aingefan

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Does anyone know where our goalies play this season?

I assume Murray and Hildeby split time on the Marlies. Do our two Russians share the net in the ECHL? Would they both stay here for that? Do we even have an ECHL team?

How many pro goalies do we have now including AHL contracts? Do we still have Cavallin? How about Petruzzelli?

Petruzzelli was an RFA .. he wasn't qualified and is a UFA .. I think Cavallin was on a one-year deal? I see it as:

Leafs:

- Woll 1A
- Stolarz 1B

Marlies

- Hildeby #1
- Murray #2
- Akhtyamov #3

Notes: Murray starts as the #3 for the Leafs and will have to go through waivers. They'll probably give Hildeby the starting role (he started over 50% of the games this season). If he keeps playing well, he'll probably get some starts for the Leafs if an opportunity comes up.

Murray will be the clear cut #2 to get some game action in case the Leafs need him early. Akhtyamov will have to battle for playing time and take a job. He may not get a lot of games right away, but maybe more as the season goes if he earns it. He could also get loaned back to Russia.

There is also Peksa in the mix but he didn't do that great with Newfoundland. I wonder if he goes back to Russia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad