Confirmed with Link: Markstrom (1.875m retained) to NJD for Bahl & 2025 1st round pick (top 10 protected)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Kuz can be a third pair guy too I think.
I definitely see Kuz as a third pair guy who can step into a second pair for short stints without being exposed (not saying he'd excel in it, but more as a guy who can step up for short stints and serve you well but not someone who should be relied on to do that as the standard).

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Holtz and 10th was on the table at the TDL. Our draft position would be better and we'd have a better return on the trade. Thanks Murray
I know Frank Seravalli said that what we got in this trade was "definitely better than what the offer was back at the Deadline", which almost guarantees it wasn't a 2024 1st and Holtz.

Reactions: Volica and Lunatik

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seeing the Ullmark return I am definitely ok with this return

Yup Bruins got scammed. Korpisalo is terrible, maybe Essensa can salvage him.

I know a lot of fans are all for taking on bad contracts for extra picks or whatever but I'm glad Conroy has for the most part kept what's on his cap clean. We have a couple bad deals as is and taking on a bunch of washed up overpaid vets is a very poor way to build a culture that is conducive to winning to bring the youth into.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Seeing the Ullmark return I am definitely ok with this return

Marky's return slays the Ullmark return. Boston took on $20+ mil of crap money with the Korpisalo contract, and then what Markstrom got. Ullmark's numbers were also much better than Markstrom's.

Boston got hosed.

Reactions: Figgy44

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Honestly feel like the difference in expected value on the Ullmark return boils down to the disconnect in how fans value players relative to how GMs value players. Ullmark is a 30 year old who has never started 50 games in a season, that’s a large question mark to any team acquiring him as their de facto starter. He also played on one of the most goalie friendly teams league wide in Boston, and is going to the other end of that spectrum in Ottawa. Markstrom on the other hand is a battle tested starter who has put up great results in multiple challenging environments.

I honestly believe it wasn’t a case of Boston getting hosed with us coming out well, it’s just the average fan unable to see why despite Ullmark having higher numbers he has much more questions than Markstrom. His theoretical raise coming probably didn’t help either, it’s a harsh skepticism but I can’t help but think there’s a chance Ottawa is just walking themselves right back into the same situation they just had with Korpisalo.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Honestly feel like the difference in expected value on the Ullmark return boils down to the disconnect in how fans value players relative to how GMs value players. Ullmark is a 30 year old who has never started 50 games in a season, that’s a large question mark to any team acquiring him as their de facto starter. He also played on one of the most goalie friendly teams league wide in Boston, and is going to the other end of that spectrum in Ottawa. Markstrom on the other hand is a battle tested starter who has put up great results in multiple challenging environments.

I honestly believe it wasn’t a case of Boston getting hosed with us coming out well, it’s just the average fan unable to see why despite Ullmark having higher numbers he has much more questions than Markstrom. His theoretical raise coming probably didn’t help either, it’s a harsh skepticism but I can’t help but think there’s a chance Ottawa is just walking themselves right back into the same situation they just had with Korpisalo.
I do not agree at all. If this deal was Ullmark for 25 and Kastelic, then that would have been fine despite it being a lesser return than Markstrom. But Korpisalo is a f***ing terrible goalie and over the past 3 years only Grubauer, Blackwood and Jones have had a lower SV% of goalies that have played 75+ games.

Frankly Boston should have been paid a first just to take that albatros of a contract.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

I watch every Boston game, they're my 2nd team. They play a solid system but this myth that they're just in a different league defensively than everybody else is ridiculous. Ullmark and Swayman won them many games on their own, they're both really really good goalies and Sweeney got wrecked in that deal.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I watch every Boston game, they're my 2nd team. They play a solid system but this myth that they're just in a different league defensively than everybody else is ridiculous. Ullmark and Swayman won them many games on their own, they're both really really good goalies and Sweeney got wrecked in that deal.
Boston is one of if not the most overrated teams in the league. Ullmark was otherworldy last season, and see what happens when he isn't perfect in the playoffs.

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Ullmark already had promising numbers I’m Buffalo too. Not exactly a goaltending friendly team there. Especially over those years.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I do not agree at all. If this deal was Ullmark for 25 and Kastelic, then that would have been fine despite it being a lesser return than Markstrom. But Korpisalo is a f***ing terrible goalie and over the past 3 years only Grubauer, Blackwood and Jones have had a lower SV% of goalies that have played 75+ games.

Frankly Boston should have been paid a first just to take that albatros of a contract.

I can't help think that they might rehab Korpisalo and then instead of him as a pure cap dump, Boston get a solid asset like we did with Marky by retaining on him.

Slightly below league average goal ending from Korpisalo at 2 mil ish AAV would be semi valuable from a team looking for a backup POV. I'd be thinking a few seconds or thirds if Boston was successful.

Sweeny has seemingly been hosed and obliterated in many deals since 2015. Yet I think I'd want their success vs ours even though it seems like we draft better and trade better. They've got something philosophically in their front office that we seem to lack.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I can't help think that they might rehab Korpisalo and then instead of him as a pure cap dump, Boston get a solid asset like we did with Marky by retaining on him.

Slightly below league average goal ending from Korpisalo at 2 mil ish AAV would be semi valuable from a team looking for a backup POV. I'd be thinking a few seconds or thirds if Boston was successful.

Sweeny has seemingly been hosed and obliterated in many deals since 2015. Yet I think I'd want their success vs ours even though it seems like we draft better and trade better. They've got something philosophically in their front office that we seem to lack.
I wouldn't say we drafted better at all. They hit huge on Swayman (4th), Marchand (3rd), Pasternak (25OA) and McAvoy (14OA)... before that Bergeron and Krejci were 2nd rounders... and it looks like they may hit again on Poitras and/or Lohrei who were both 2nd rounders too... they also drafted Ryan Lindgren in round 2.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
I wouldn't say we drafted better at all. They hit huge on Swayman (4th), Marchand (3rd), Pasternak (25OA) and McAvoy (14OA)... before that Bergeron and Krejci were 2nd rounders... and it looks like they may hit again on Poitras and/or Lohrei who were both 2nd rounders too... they also drafted Ryan Lindgren in round 2.

Their first round misses are more obvious. But their later round gems are huge for sure.

How can I put it?

Like failing huge on pre planned singles then wiping the floor with everyone in freestyle?

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Their first round misses are more obvious. But their later round gems are huge for sure.

How can I put it?

Like failing huge on pre planned singles then wiping the floor with everyone in freestyle?
Yeah they are more obvious, but so are their hits later, in the end where you pick doesn't matter, it's who you pick. And overall they have been better than us in drafting and development IMO

Reactions: Figgy44

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
In fact advanced stats state that Ottawa was actually better defensively than Boston. Granted part of that is score effects, and not counting extreme breakdowns as much. Still, Boston is not significantly better defensively than Ottawa, but Ullmark and Swayman are significantly better goalies than Korpi and Forsberg.

Figgy44

Dec 15, 2014
Yeah they are more obvious, but so are their hits later, in the end where you pick doesn't matter, it's who you pick. And overall they have been better than us in drafting and development IMO
It's certainly a huge diff than the fan idea that we have to hit on our firsts or it's GG idea.

We blew the first round of the 2013 draft we hitched our rebuild on but kept rolling. Boston did the same for their 2015 draft and rolled higher than we did. I wonder if we can imitate more of that "magic" under Conroy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad