Player Discussion Mark "Vigilante” Borowiecki

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Based on the interview, I think he wants to stay here more than anything else.

Sure, he has an ideal situation, but from a career point of view, he'll never have a better opportunity at a contract.

The way he plays, injuries are a real possibility.

At the same time, he knows that in Ottawa he's a bit of a hero, whereas anywhere else he's a bottom-pairing defenceman with some physicality, and he's definitely playing that up.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Lebrun said its pretty normal to not talk to your free agents till closer to the deadline. He said NYR are following a similar tactic.

The reasoning behind it is so that you don't play your hand early and drop the value of your player due to leaks. IE if Pageau and the Sens realize there isn't a fit financially then Pageau agent will start to pass that information around that said player is available for trade at the deadline. I guess you don't want that info out early if you know you would rather wait till the deadline to move guys

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Lebrun said its pretty normal to not talk to your free agents till closer to the deadline. He said NYR are following a similar tactic.
I am pretty sure almost all of the so called "Insiders" were shocked that the Sens were waiting so long to start discussions with Stone/Duchene/Dzingel. So, its quite interesting that one year later, Lebrun has the exact opposite view.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

The reasoning behind it is so that you don't play your hand early and drop the value of your player due to leaks. IE if Pageau and the Sens realize there isn't a fit financially then Pageau agent will start to pass that information around that said player is available for trade at the deadline. I guess you don't want that info out early if you know you would rather wait till the deadline to move guys

This makes sense. Negotiating a contract is not nuclear physics - just look at how fast Stone got a deal done with Vegas last year. The team has a number in mind for term and dollar, as does the agent. There's either common ground there, or there isn't. Really, it should be able to get wrapped up, or called off, within a couple of days...

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Sure, he has an ideal situation, but from a career point of view, he'll never have a better opportunity at a contract.

The way he plays, injuries are a real possibility.

At the same time, he knows that in Ottawa he's a bit of a hero, whereas anywhere else he's a bottom-pairing defenceman with some physicality, and he's definitely playing that up.

Put yourself in his shoes, are you going to take a discount or try to get as much money on what could be your last contract as possible, given his play style. Any hometown discount likely has gone out the window now with his performance this season, and the lack of communication from the GM on an extension, especially given Mark's personal situation with a baby on the way.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Put yourself in his shoes, are you going to take a discount or try to get as much money on what could be your last contract as possible, given his play style. Any hometown discount likely has gone out the window now with his performance this season, and the lack of communication from the GM on an extension, especially given Mark's personal situation with a baby on the way.

Yeah, I guess what's interesting is that typically you can get more on the open market, but with his reputation here in Ottawa, he might still try to get more here.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Based on the quotes from the Athletic, he wants to stay in Ottawa and the GM or the Melnyk has not even reached out yet.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think Boro is worried cause of his new baby on the way which is stressful

But like I said before at this point you have to do what's best for the organization

Reactions: coladin

otown

Sep 4, 2009
It is a fine line between taking what the market might give you elsewhere and what the Sens are able to ante up on a tight budget.
Bottom line, you can't overpay for a player with his skill set.
The contract has to match his ability and have realistic term.
I can't see other teams knocking the door down with offers for Boro.
He is 5/6 dman and salary should reflect this.

Reactions: InAbsensia

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It is a fine line between taking what the market might give you elsewhere and what the Sens are able to ante up on a tight budget.
Bottom line, you can't overpay for a player with his skill set.
The contract has to match his ability and have realistic term.
I can't see other teams knocking the door down with offers for Boro.
He is 5/6 dman and salary should reflect this.
A team that is over 50 million below the cap ceiling can afford to pay him whatever they want for the next 2-3 years. For two years now we have all been told how valuable Mark Borowicki is to the organization buy the GM and finally, when people start to believe him, they aren't going to bring him back??

IMO, I would go as high as 3 mill just to keep him around. Not like they are gonna need the cap space in the next 2 years.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Some interesting quotes from the Athletic article. Seems like shots fired to me.

[mod]
Anyways, it looks like PD has reached out to Boro in regards to TDL pressure.

I personally would like to see him stay. 3x2 would be fine by me. He is a very likely candidate to transition into player development after his career is done, and that last year may be a Richardson type situation, or Jason Smith. I think Boro is our home grown version of those two.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
[mod qdp]
I think Boro, is worried, stressed, and is really hoping that he’s been a good enough soldier to warrant staying with the team.

I think he’s also aware that he’s a fringe player, the kind that get dropped or moved all the time, and he’s hoping his intangibles and character has warranted him a permanent spot in the hearts of Sens fans and the organization.

I just read somewhere that PD has already reached out to him, but as we know from hear players talk about it year after year, the TDL is very stressful on some players, especially those with young families with a baby in the way.

It was a candid interview by a stressed young father to be, nothing more needs to be made of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Based on the interview, I think he wants to stay here more than anything else. The one player who may actually take a hometown discount and they have yet to even sit down with him or attempt to communicate with his agent.

It's really the only team in the league he can play such a big part in. Any other team and he's a regular healthy scratch.

Here, he's the coaches, GMs, and owners fave player. Rolls with an A, has his face plastered on the arena. Refererd to as a foundational player by the owner.

He could realistically become a captain for this team with the way they operate.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Boro like every player with a contract ending just wants to know where he is going to end up and is vying for family security as the window begins to close in the later stages of a highly physical athletic career.
Compounded by the fact that he and his wife are expecting their first child.
There is stress in not knowing but it is all part of the process.
He isn't making multiple millions like many players in the league but in the end, he will be "comfortable"!
Just a matter of where! The dance continues.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
"I just hope they can be appreciative of some of the situations I've been put in by this organization"

=

Melnyk-Borowiecki-senators-conversation.jpg

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I wouldn't be upset if they signed Boro to 2-3 more years as I've always liked him as a warrior on the backend. But if you hated him before this year, nothing he has done this year should really sway your opinion. Like 90% of UFAs to be, they are working their hardest in the contract year to get the most money possible. I hope he can get a nice deal in Ottawa or whatever, but his stats this season are outliers for sure.

Reactions: coladin and NyQuil

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I just read somewhere that PD has already reached out to him
Source? I got one for you, one who is generally as plugged in as you can get, but I can only assume that Twitter is not an avenue you use to help form your opinions. The hashtag explains it all.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I hope the org isn't dumb enough to bring back Hainsey and let Boro walk without even a discussion. With that being said, this is something I could 100% see the Sens doing.
I rather have hainsay for a couple go reason

1. He will take a 1 year deal if he stays which gives us flexibility
2. He has been around the league and has seen how other teams run things where boro has only been in Ottawa
3. He was once a top 4 and even top 2 defensemen when he won the cup which to me speaks more when mentoring young guys

I think boro will be signed due to pr seasons and him being a good guy towards the Sens over the year though

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Source? I got one for you, one who is generally as plugged in as you can get, but I can only assume that Twitter is not an avenue you use to help form your opinions. The hashtag explains it all.

Dorion reached out to boro to talk to him about the pressure of the deadline not contract talks

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad