Value of: Mark Pysyk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
See, this is a hard one. They are very thin on RHD and he's been their best defenseman in terms of actual defense so far this season. Granato refers to him as one of the team leaders too.

In a vacuum, probably a B-level prospect or late 2nd to mid-round 3rd? Right now though, it's just not the right time.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
See, this is a hard one. They are very thin on RHD and he's been their best defenseman in terms of actual defense so far this season. Granato refers to him as one of the team leaders too.

In a vacuum, probably a B-level prospect or late 2nd to mid-round 3rd? Right now though, it's just not the right time.
What if Dermott was going the other way? Now I’m not saying it’s a 1 for 1, but would that help fill the hole of him leaving?

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
No idea what the ask would be but I don't think Buffalo should move him. Buffalo has TONS of young and draft assets. Now we need to grow it right and it seems they've identified Pysyk as a good veteran to be a part of it. Short of a significant overpayment, they should just hang onto him.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
a 1st

buffalo probably resigns him on a short 2-3 year contract

He is very good

As a Sabres fan, pump the breaks.

He's a 7th d-man on most teams.

The fact that he's playing top 4 role on the Sabres speaks to the quality of our blueline, not Pysyk's talents.

I'd wager his trade deadline value is around a 3rd or a prospect, typical depth/bottom pair d-man price.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
As a Sabres fan, pump the breaks.

He's a 7th d-man on most teams.

The fact that he's playing top 4 role on the Sabres speaks to the quality of our blueline, not Pysyk's talents.

I'd wager his trade deadline value is around a 3rd or a prospect, typical depth/bottom pair d-man price.

I don’t think he is worth a first by any means, but he has been extremely solid and could fit on to the bottom pair of any playoff team quite comfortably. Don’t think he is a #7 at all.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What if Dermott was going the other way? Now I’m not saying it’s a 1 for 1, but would that help fill the hole of him leaving?

Ehhh....

No, not at all. Dermott isn't what I'd call a defense first RHD which is the role Psysk is filling

Agree with ONG here.

a 1st

A first? NFW. Just no.

We fans wouldn't mind if they re-sign him but it's not like anyone was expecting him to come in and provide the shot suppression he is providing.

He is very good

He's performing well in the role they are using him in, yes.

Ygo

Oct 19, 2015
No, not at all. Dermott isn't what I'd call a defense first RHD which is the role Psysk is filling
He is a depth D man... mid round pick at most (which makes him an unlikely trade candidate - offers value to some of the young D on the team). That said, if a 24 yr old TD enters the picture, the Sabres should be listening attentively (I cannot imagine MP's role trumps amassing some level of team controlled talent - as doak mentioned, he is a 6th or 7th D on a competitive team).

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
a 1st

Loved Pisser in FLA but C'mon, a 1st?!?

trying-not-to-laugh-guy.gif

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Honestly, I think it would be wise for the Sabres to give him like a 2 year deal. Don't see him being moved at the deadline.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think the best way to answer this is to say that he likely has (far) more value to the Sabres currently than what he'd realistically bring back in a trade.

On a good team, he's that 6/7 guy that you can play with relatively no worries. They're not worth a ton on the trade market.

On the Sabres, he's really our best RHD in his own end. What he's providing to us is much more valuable than some B-level prospect or mid-round draft pick. And also as mentioned above -- many Sabres fans easily see an extension coming for him as our RHD pipeline is thin.

So I think this was a long way to say: don't think he's really available outside of some sort of stupid overpayment. Not because he's a great defenseman, but because of his value to the Sabres currently.

Reactions: Ygo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad