Player Discussion Mark Kastelic

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
This guy got passed over in the NHL draft TWO YEARS in a row. Still made it.

Imagine how hard he's gonna play here to stay in the show? I'm not betting agaist him. Massive chip on his shoulder.

They don't call him Sweenius for nothing.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
We can't help ourselves. He would be the next slam dunk Brady Tkachuk. Drop the gloves well a few times and we'd anoint him the next Bob Probert/Cam Neely clone.
Exactly. So maybe we shouldn't be so quick to put a ceiling on him as a 4th liner. He's a year younger than Brazeau and folks are willing to give Braz a chance higher up the lineup/PP. He's younger than Frederic and Geekie who folks were hoping could take another step this year. They can improve but Kastelic can't?

Small sample but Kastelic certainly looks like he's taken a step from 4c to a very capable 3c.

Last edited:

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
A point that a lot of the "move him up" crowd is missing, is that this line has had instant chemistry. That is not a given when players are thrown together by their perceived place in a lineup.
Breaking them up, might just break any success at all.
Leave it be and use it more. Their cycling is something I wish the other 3 lines did and it seems to come to the KBK line naturally.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I confess that I was furious with the return for Ullmark. I've changed my opinion considerably.

Korpi has been a decent backup, and he should get better, because we have the best goalie coach in the league.

Forsberg has been dreadful for Ottawa.

Kastelic has been terrific. We now have the best 4th line in the league, IMO.

Finally, I like the potential of Dean Latourneau.

In addition, Sweeney signed a 4th line gem in Koepke. He seemed an afterthought for Providence, but he is here to stay.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
He is looking more like a 40-50 point player :p
should have had an assist on the Lindholm goal! Not sure if he was credited later or not, but love his play. Loved him as a Senator also but the coach wanted more skilled players in the line up or he would have had a better stat line.

Reactions: goldenblack

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I confess that I was furious with the return for Ullmark. I've changed my opinion considerably.

Korpi has been a decent backup, and he should get better, because we have the best goalie coach in the league.

Forsberg has been dreadful for Ottawa.

Kastelic has been terrific. We now have the best 4th line in the league, IMO.

Finally, I like the potential of Dean Latourneau.

In addition, Sweeney signed a 4th line gem in Koepke. He seemed an afterthought for Providence, but he is here to stay.

He is the Sweenius. People need to let his deals breath a little.

Agree. Beecher hasn’t taken a single shift off. It’s awesome to see.

Dom's point was excellent. But to take it one step further. Once you have a productive 4th line with constant effort and jam, the whole team is pushed to be better.

The 3rd line HAS to be, or their minutes are cut. Cut minutes mean cut production and cut dollars. Lot of guys in contract years in the bottom 9...

The 1st line plays better because it's not the only line that has to score. The trickle up effect is huge. We're a top scoring team for a reason. When the goalies click and the D settles, yowza. We could win 10 in a row easy.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
With ullmark not starting for us at the moment you guys are actually winning the trade so far. I know that’s a ridiculous thing to say but it’s actual reality.

I think I was the only one who was sad to see kasty go in the trade. Some over on our board even wanted him gone.
Shows how smart hf Ottawa fans are.
Hope he can keep it up. I’ve watched a couple games he looks awesome.
We need more players just like him.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
With ullmark not starting for us at the moment you guys are actually winning the trade so far. I know that’s a ridiculous thing to say but it’s actual reality.

I think I was the only one who was sad to see kasty go in the trade. Some over on our board even wanted him gone.
Shows how smart hf Ottawa fans are.
Hope he can keep it up. I’ve watched a couple games he looks awesome.
We need more players just like him.

I don't believe we will ever know the outcome until big Dean develops. I mean I suppose we can just go by the value of a 1st. But in the end, big Dean is the deal. Korpi and Kasty are great little pieces who will add value.

If Dean ends up a 15/15 3rd liner, I got the deal as a push. If he's more, it's a win for us. We'll see!

You got a gem of a goalie in this deal. And signed too!

Reactions: Icelevel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad