Mark Giordano - Does he win the Norris?

May 27, 2012
Earth
The only reason Gio and Brodie aren't number one is because they are less proven to me than the Weber Josi pairing (only in the last 20-30 games have they even been in this discussion). If they can keep this pace up for a while longer, then I will move them up.

Debatable. Last year Brodie and Gio were one of the only reasons Calgary did so well last season. It is a continuation from last season and apparently it has passed onto Wideman as well this season.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Debatable. Last year Brodie and Gio were one of the only reasons Calgary did so well last season. It is a continuation from last season and apparently it has passed onto Wideman as well this season.

Wideman has been an offensive Dynamo from the backend this season. On pace for about 31 goals and 56 points. :amazed:

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Giordano is having a great season , i think he might be a lock for at least the 3 finalists for the Norris

pretty much this and I'm glad to see it as he was having a Norris worthy season last season and was a top 10 Dman in the league even with his games missed.

Just because he plays for the Flames doesn't mean that he isn't a great Dman...the secret is out...big time.

too bad for Shea Weber though he might end up giving Scott Stevens a run for his money as the best Dman to never win a Norris.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think the Flames will have to make the playoffs too. Cave see the NHL saying the best defenseman in the world can't carry a team into the playoffs.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
If his play is somewhere near this level in the end of the season, he will win the Norris and contend for the Hart. Would be awesome to see D to get real Hart/Lindsay consideration.

It will be a long road ahead of Gio though. I hope he manages to keep on rocking.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Right now. But he slows down just a bit and EK can make the jump and pass him in points which wins the Norris.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Right now. But he slows down just a bit and EK can make the jump and pass him in points which wins the Norris.

Karlsson will not win the Norris this year. He has the worst +\- on his team at -10.

And will likely be -25 when the season ends.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Right now he does but its far from a guarantee. I remember when Byfuglien had 42 points in 49 games to start the season in 2011. You would think it was enough games for a trend but he finished with just 53 points by the end of the year.

So it just goes to show how much these things can change. Although I must admit I dont watch a tonne of Jets games so I dont know if he played defense all of that year but I thought he did.

That being said I dont think Gio has to finish tops in points to win the Norris. He has a lot of hype right now and as long as he keeps playing well and finishes with more then Weber I think he has a good shot.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Karlsson will not win the Norris this year. He has the worst +\- on his team at -10.

And will likely be -25 when the season ends.

That will change in a hurry though if the team starts playing well. He is on the ice so much his +- will almost always trend with the team.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
He's 6 points up on second place Burns/Shattenkirk.

He's scored that many points while playing shut-down D vs top lines, he's been MVP so far this season. Duncan Keith wishes he was Mark Giordano :sarcasm:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
isn't brodie getting a good bit more ice time tyan giordano?

shouldn't that make brodie the norris candidate?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
If the voting was now, he'd win in a landslide.

Hedman would've likely been the only serious competition - if there had been no injury.

Still a long way to go though, but yes, Giordano would definitely get the Norris at this point.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If the voting was now, he'd win in a landslide.

Hedman would've likely been the only serious competition - if there had been no injury.

Still a long way to go though, but yes, Giordano would definitely get the Norris at this point.

The reigning Norris winner is playing great this year as well

Hardly think it would be landslide win for Giordano

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I have been so impressed with the guy. If the season ended today, he would be a LOCK for Norris and a good candidate for the Hart.

Such a feel good story breaking out like that at age 30.:handclap:

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
isn't brodie getting a good bit more ice time tyan giordano?

shouldn't that make brodie the norris candidate?

Brodie has been near flawless this year. I knew he had good upside, but I didn't know he was going to develop into a top-pairing D at 24!

His play and output should land him some norris votes if he continues.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Here's what actually happens if we're being honest. Giordano and Brodie put up great season but not as great as they look right now (that's an awfully high bar). They split the votes and Keith or Weber swoop in for the win.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Here's what actually happens if we're being honest. Giordano and Brodie put up great season but not as great as they look right now (that's an awfully high bar). They split the votes and Keith or Weber swoop in for the win.

Sounds like a pipe dream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad