Speculation: Marc Savard gives McDavid one more year in Edmonton

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Some delusional Leafs fan who thinks they will end up with Marner Matthews Tavares Nylander and Mcdavid. Because Cap is not a thing.
a pretty delusional thing to say, if i do say so myself

there isn a Leafs fan nor a LeaFlander that believes McDavid could be acquired without making Nylander and Matthews as prt of the deal, because after all sunny Jim you're not the only person here who has intimate knowledge of the existence of a salary cap. Have a nice day

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
And here another report saying the opposite

If Edmonton continues to struggle, might McDavid want out?

If the Oilers miss the playoffs once again, could we see Connor McDavid ask out of Edmonton in the near future?
connor-mcdavid.jpg

LeBrun:
Well not any time soon, if ever, really. But I can tell you this. My understanding is Connor McDavid is fully invested in seeing this franchise turn things around. Obviously the general manager hire looms large and so does the coaching decision. He’s part of wanting this to go right. He’s not looking for reasons to look elsewhere so that’s important. It’s not surprising. If you know Connor McDavid you know he’s not looking for any copouts. But I will say this and this is just my own opinion. If this is still the way things are in Edmonton in three years, who knows. I mean he signed a long-term deal but at this point it’s silly for anyone to think that he would want out.

watch the whole thing on the link below

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-if-oilers-miss-playoffs-don-t-expect-mcdavid-to-ask-out-1.1273544
yeah well, that's just, like his opinion man!

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Quote from earlier today on The Score:

Once again eastern fans and eastern media show they don't know a damn thing about hockey outside of Ontario.
You realize there are a lot of people outside of Ontario that think that way as well.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
You realize there are a lot of people outside of Ontario that think that way as well.

I'd say very few people outside of this market really know much about what goes on here. This narrative was started by the Toronto media. Not after they conducted an interview with McDavid, but by guessing what he was thinking based on watching interviews from Edmonton journalists. It has absolutely no basis in fact. In fact there is very little precedence for anything like McDavid demanding a trade by any hockey player in the modern era.

Statements like the ones made by Marc Savard are designed to get clicks or to sell advertising. They have as much validity as I do when I say something like "A first round exit by Toronto: Does this spell the End of the Matthews era with the Maple Leafs?" Which is nonsense.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Has Marc Savard ever spoken to Connor McDavid? I doubt it. Frankly I am not sure many Eastern media types have ever even seen an interview with McDavid. The idea that this is the kind of guy who is going to try to back out of a contract he signed is simply absurd. McDavid is not going to refuse to play and demand a trade anymore than he is going to rob a liquor store. Is it possible that he will bolt the moment his contract is up? Yes that is possible but how anyone with even a passing familiarity with McDavid's character would think he will refuse to play to force a trade is beyond me.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’ve always been curious what a guy like Mcdavid would return if he ever requested a trade. I mean Connor Mcdavid is the most valuable player in the league but if he “requests” a trade he doesn’t return Connor Mcdavid type value.

I know people will start by saying names like Matthews, Mackinnon and Barkov but the fact is that those players are pretty much unavailable. They are about as untouchable as Connor Mcdavid is except in this (very) hypothetical situation Mcdavid requests out. When looking at potential roster players who could be moved you’d have to look at the next tier of young stars and beyond unless there was a situation where another young stud needed a change of scenery too. Perhaps somebody like Sabres GM Jack Eichel.

You take about 15 teams out of the running right away for cap reasons. So I guess it comes down to whoever can bundle together the biggest package of youth.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I’ve always been curious what a guy like Mcdavid would return if he ever requested a trade. I mean Connor Mcdavid is the most valuable player in the league but if he “requests” a trade he doesn’t return Connor Mcdavid type value.

I know people will start by saying names like Matthews, Mackinnon and Barkov but the fact is that those players are pretty much unavailable. They are about as untouchable as Connor Mcdavid is except in this (very) hypothetical situation Mcdavid requests out. When looking at potential roster players who could be moved you’d have to look at the next tier of young stars and beyond unless there was a situation where another young stud needed a change of scenery too. Perhaps somebody like Sabres GM Jack Eichel.

You take about 15 teams out of the running right away for cap reasons. So I guess it comes down to whoever can bundle together the biggest package of youth.
Every player you named would be made available if Mcdavid requested a trade don't kid yourself. Not one of those players is in Mcdavid's tier.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
MacDavid (50% retained) traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for William Nylander and a 3th round pick. "Bill is a potential franchise player and has that certain kind of winning attitude. Also don't you ever dare to question my trades... I'm a Stanley Cup champ myself, pal. I know a thing or two about winning" said the Edmonton executive Old Boy at the end of his press conference.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Every player you named would be made available if Mcdavid requested a trade don't kid yourself. Not one of those players is in Mcdavid's tier.
That’s not how it works. When players ask out teams take advantage. Toronto wouldn’t trade Matthews and Colorado wouldn’t trade Mackinnon when they know they don’t have to go that high with Edmonton’s back against the wall.

This is extremely hypothetical but if Mcdavid asks for a trade he isn’t getting another top tier back.

Gretzky didn’t return Lemieux.
Karlsson didn’t return Seth Jones.

Just because the best player at his position is available doesn’t mean he automatically returns the 2nd best.

If Connor Mcdavid requests a trade (he won’t) he isn’t returning a player from the Mackinnon/Matthews tier unless one of those guys want out or aren’t fitting with their respective teams.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That’s not how it works. When players ask out teams take advantage. Toronto wouldn’t trade Matthews and Colorado wouldn’t trade Mackinnon when they know they don’t have to go that high with Edmonton’s back against the wall.

This is extremely hypothetical but if Mcdavid asks for a trade he isn’t getting another top tier back.

Gretzky didn’t return Lemieux.
Karlsson didn’t return Seth Jones.

Just because the best player at his position is available doesn’t mean he automatically returns the 2nd best.

If Connor Mcdavid requests a trade (he won’t) he isn’t returning a player from the Mackinnon/Matthews tier unless one of those guys want out or aren’t fitting with their respective teams.
Wrong if a player like McDavid becomes available regardless of the circumstances you had better believe there would be a bidding war, and not one of those players you named is worth him even at your imaginary reduced price.

Your Gretzky example shows you have literally no knowledge on the circumstances of that "trade", and your Karlsson example is a guy 1 year out from UFA. McDavid currently has 7 years on his deal, you'd better believe those teams would offer up their star if he requested a trade.

And for the record Gretzky to Lemieux is not even close to what McDavid is to Mackinnon or Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00