Maple Leafs name Auston Matthews captain

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
This thread tells me Tavares is still living rent free in the heads of Islanders fans :help:

That's their problem. Leafs fans don't give a you know what about Tavares. Dude is a robot.

I want to proclaim that I've thought about it, about how throwing the C on Matthews is maybe not the best idea.

Thought about it, well he's our best player. Pretty sure also that he accepted the C and feels up to the challenge. I doubt they're just throwing the C on him without his input and acceptance for the challenge.

So let's just go with that and see what happens eh?

Kind of excited to see something a bit different with the Leafs next season. Disaster is absolutely there potentially.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
JT was an excellent captain. Makes no sense to move to AM now. Wait until the end of this coming season when JT’s contract ends.
I agree with this, insofar as the timing goes. That's what makes me scratch my head. Why announce it in mid August? Tavares has one more year to go - what difference, really does it make to honour the rest of his contract, unless Tavares simply wanted out of the role OR Tavares already has a plan to exit the Leafs before his contract is up and has already agreed to a move, though it hasn't been announced.

Reactions: Fatass

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Yes let’s change the coach, yes let’s change the captaincy, let’s not change the president who has overseen this farce for 9 yrs. Smh
You have hit the nail on the head. The problems with this team go way beyond cosmetic staffing or letters on the sweaters. Getting rid of Dubas was a step in the right direction, but it's like anything else - a company has a bad CEO (bad business vision, bad financial management, tone deaf to market needs and trends) but they just rebrand their products, hire some different staff, change their logo. I have seen this so many times. Until the head honcho arrives and new TOP leadership arrives and instills a different vision and culture, it's like continuing to spray Febreeze on a pile of barf.

Reactions: centipede2233

ijuka

May 14, 2016
truth is, leafs need competition in toronto area in order to have a pressure to perform but now they have no competition and do great financially even if the team is awful because there is nothing to compete with them

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
They had to ask JT if he was okay with dropping the C = heavily involved with a positive spin.
Yup. It is all spin. Because will the Leafs have enough intestinal fortitude to say "we thought he was not leadership material and stripped it from him". No team has the integrity to speak this level of truth. Rather, to placate what would be perhaps an angry fanbase, they make it sound like the decision was entirely mutual

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yup. It is all spin. Because will the Leafs have enough intestinal fortitude to say "we thought he was not leadership material and stripped it from him". No team has the integrity to speak this level of truth. Rather, to placate what would be perhaps an angry fanbase, they make it sound like the decision was entirely mutual

Maybe Marner (and his Dad, and agent) are running the team now?

Maybe Tie Domi is deep within again.

Seems like a bad situation, but maybe it'll work out.

Or maybe there is a new coaching staff in town, and they are just starting to get ahead with some head rolling and feeding the media a little tidbit of what's to come next.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I agree with this, insofar as the timing goes. That's what makes me scratch my head. Why announce it in mid August? Tavares has one more year to go - what difference, really does it make to honour the rest of his contract, unless Tavares simply wanted out of the role OR Tavares already has a plan to exit the Leafs before his contract is up and has already agreed to a move, though it hasn't been announced.

I'd like to think they're doing this now because they have more "wtf?" stuff about to go down. Grab your popcorn etc.

Reactions: thegazelle

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Maybe I'm too old to see things differently, but all the good and well respected captains over the years of my lifetime for various teams did not bring undue attention to themselves, except for their play on the ice. Guys like Matthews and Nylander remind me of the PK Subban, "hey look at me, I'm a fashion icon" type of personality. This is in the NFL and NBA quite often. I

Ideally it would be great if the captain was both a top performer and had enough sense of humility and not wanting to draw attention to himself insofar as his image, and is capable of articulating in an intelligent and professional way that serves as an ambassador of the team. The player has to have a certain personality to do this. It doesn't matter if they are extroverted or introverted - the lead by example, and while some of this may be performance based, I think it's also important to set an example of being humble and letting character substance reveal leadership rather than fashion or aesthetic style. Seems to diminish strength, when athletes dress up like a child (and typically act in the same way).

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
truth is, leafs need competition in toronto area in order to have a pressure to perform but now they have no competition and do great financially even if the team is awful because there is nothing to compete with them
this is crazy talk , winning a few rounds in the NHL isn't some incredible feat , they literally choke every year , why are you talking about pressure , Matthews and Marner lay an egg every single time , you wanna blame MLSE you wanna blame keefe you wanna blame the fans lol. Way worst teams on paper have won way more , the problem is the core guys get ragdolled and turtle every single playoff series. Has AM34 ever won anything in his career at any level in club play?

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
this is crazy talk , winning a few rounds in the NHL isn't some incredible feat , they literally choke every year , why are you talking about pressure , Matthews and Marner lay an egg every single time , you wanna blame MLSE you wanna blame keefe you wanna blame the fans lol. Way worst teams on paper have won way more , the problem is the core guys get ragdolled and turtle every single playoff series. Has AM34 ever won anything in his career at any level in club play?
I think he is right. There is no business reason not to have a 2nd team in the GTA. Both could be financially successful. NY and CA have them.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

He has won every contract negotiation so far :sarcasm:

Reactions: PainForShane

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
My boring take is the Leafs are going to shortly move on from Tavares and the team is now Matthews'. He doesn't strike me as a Messieresque motivator, but neither was Tavares. At worst this won't move the needle much. At best it motivates Matthews to take his game to the next level and help the Leafs break through. He's going to need some help though.

How can anyone tell if someone is a motivator or not? What we see is Matthews is way more outspoken. Tavares is a robot.

z1c0c1awlysc1.gif

• Haha
Reactions: dukeofjive

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019

Tavares is an upcoming UFA who may or may not want to test free agency after the season. Therefore he may not want to sign an extension during the season, and just as importantly Treliving may not want to ink his extension until seeing what JT does in the playoffs (which imo is completely reasonable).

Having your Captain be an upcoming UFA would be a serious distraction during the season and playoffs, esp to the Toronto media who tend to hyperfocus on the most random things.

Also, Leafs will almost certainly honor the rest of JT's contract, he has a full no move so almost certainly won't be traded this season (esp not at that contract hit).

Are you still scratching your head?

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad