Line Combos: HFPens Decides 24-25 Version - Starting Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which goalie do you want to be the starter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Ned really isn't that good, he was ass down the stretch and benefit heavily from the fact that the Penguins were scoring at a rate that was unsustainable for even the best teams in that 15 game span, also bleeding goals like defense was a foreign concept.

Maybe, just maybe, if the f***ing twat of a coach doesn't burn out his goalie by over playing the shit out of them early in the season for long stretches or fixes the absolutely putrid defensive system and overall team defense, the goalies might actually survive.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ned really isn't that good, he was ass down the stretch and benefit heavily from the fact that the Penguins were scoring at a rate that was unsustainable for even the best teams in that 15 game span, also bleeding goals like defense was a foreign concept.

Maybe, just maybe, if the f***ing twat of a coach doesn't burn out his goalie by over playing the shit out of them early in the season for long stretches or fixes the absolutely putrid defensive system and overall team defense, the goalies might actually survive.

If Ned isn't good, Jarry is a trash bag.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Yes

But here we are

I think the point of not using either one too much and that our team D leaves em out to dry, is valid too

Goal is an inarguable weak spot on the team, as of today

There is a reason Ned was a loser cast-off that we signed for cheap.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

t6a7CPD.png

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Looking back, the timing of contacts vs market was infuriating.

Shift that one year forward and we likely don't have Jarry on the roster. Or if we don't, maybe at something a little more tolerable.

As I've said in the past, I have no idea how many BAD goalie contracts have to be handed out before GMs realize that it's not smart business.

The idea that the Pens “had” to sign Jarry from the start was nonsensical. You never have to handcuff yourself to a mediocre player for multiple years. That is a choice made by dumb organizations.

A competent GM would have let Jarry walk and found a stop gap placeholder for a season then re-evaluated.

It’s also awesome Dubas deflected from the start saying he signed the contract based on the recommendation of others since he was new to the organization. Such an obvious avoidance of responsibility that told me all I need to know about Kyle from the start. You don’t hand out a contract like that as GM unless you think it’s the right move, or you are bad at your job.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The idea that the Pens “had” to sign Jarry from the start was nonsensical. You never have to handcuff yourself to a mediocre player for multiple years. That is a choice made by dumb organizations.

A competent GM would have let Jarry walk and found a stop gap placeholder for a season then re-evaluated.

It’s also awesome Dubas deflected from the start saying he signed the contract based on the recommendation of others since he was new to the organization. Such an obvious avoidance of responsibility that told me all I need to know about Kyle from the start. You don’t hand out a contract like that as GM unless you think it’s the right move, or you are bad at your job.
Is it that dire of a problem? What's the required sweetener to off-load him?
His numbers were league average among starters last year, yet the board's talking like he played like Korpisalo or something.

I mean, I get it. He hasn't won a playoff series and people are frustrated. But let's not lose track of reality here.
The goaltending buyer's market's been dogshit the last 2 years. He's not gonna be that hard to move, especially if he improves on last year. There's 32 teams and many are struggling between the pipes.
Plus the cap's rising fast.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
His numbers were league average among starters last year, yet the board's talking like he played like Korpisalo or something.

I mean, I get it. He hasn't won a playoff series and people are frustrated. But let's not lose track of reality here.
The goaltending buyer's market's been dogshit the last 2 years. He's not gonna be that hard to move, especially if he improves on last year. There's 32 teams and many are struggling between the pipes.
I think it goes back to that league average thing.

What team is going to want Jarry so bad they go out and get him?

He's so mediocre, they'll just keep their own mediocre grenades.

We're not gonna have any team taking a flyer on him that he'll step up in any meaningful way to risk a trade. Unless they're offloading an even worse contract to us.

That's why i feel Jarry has little to no trade value. If you're worse than us, with cap space to spend, you can do better than jarry. If you're better than us, then why the hell would you want this perennial loser?

I'm not trying to kick his dog or anything, and he has been to all star games, and had decent numbers at times... But... He really has never accomplished much of any high stakes situation.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Whoever came up with the hockey cliche that "you build from the net out" should be shot.

Well back in the day, that used to be very true. It used to be an extremely goalie dependent league bc there were so few good ones and if you had a good one, it gave you a big leg up. It was a true bell curve in terms of talent.

Now that curve has shifted where any goalie in any particular season can give you a wide performance range from unbeatable to swiss cheese.
Hence, this is why you don't commit big dollars/term, because of the wide variation in results.

But I'm sure Dubas knows that- he wears glasses after all.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think it goes back to that league average thing.

What team is going to want Jarry so bad they go out and get him?

He's so mediocre, they'll just keep their own mediocre grenades.

We're not gonna have any team taking a flyer on him that he'll step up in any meaningful way to risk a trade. Unless they're offloading an even worse contract to us.

That's why i feel Jarry has little to no trade value. If you're worse than us, with cap space to spend, you can do better than jarry. If you're better than us, then why the hell would you want this perennial loser?
It's not that easy to land league average starting goalies.
Did Philly get one? No. They're about to roll it back with Errson and Fedotov. That problem last year derailed their playoff entry.
Did Columbus? Vancouver's about to roll the dice with a majorly injury plagued Demko and Silovs. They may need a solution at the deadline, and we're well connected with Vancouver's management.
What if Woll goes down for the umpteenth time for Toronto? They gonna go all-in on Stolarz during a critical year for their core?

Over the last 2 summers, name as many UFA goalies as you can that were/are considered better than Jarry. The closest in summer 2023 was Korpisalo, and he was significantly worse than Jarry last year.
I guess there was technically Adin Hill, but he re-signed with Vegas on July 1 and was never going anywhere.
This summer it was Talbot, who is 37 y/o and can fall to ribbons at any time.

Some of those UFAs will avoid certain clubs, or just return. Of the few on the trade block that were better than Jarry, they sometimes had some measure of trade protection as well.
Hellebuyck was heavily rumored to be leaving. He stayed. Same thing with Rinne and he stayed too. They shipped out Askarov instead.

List of goalies that were traded since April: Askarov, Thompson, Ullmark, Korpisalo, Kuemper, Markstrom.
Askarov is a good prospect but who knows what he does in the NHL this year? Kuemper was .890 last year. Probably on the decline.
Markstrom was about Jarry's level last year and is 34. He was trash in 2022-23. Huge cap hit. That's a dice roll for New Jersey.
Korpi I mentioned.
So that leaves 2 goalies who were traded since the reg season ended who are likely to outperform Jarry in 2024-25. That's it.

It's easy to say that Jarry sucks and that everyone will pass on him, but I'm not convinced they will. Beggars can't be choosers.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

It was an unforced error when clearly Dubas came in with the expectation he could fix the roster and make it at least a playoff team.

With the cap space from simply not keeping Jarry, we wouldn’t have had to make as many cap moves to fit EK and possibly paid less for him and also not used up retention slots that would come in handy now that we are sellers.

Then he went and really screwed the pooch by making Ryan Graves rich but this is a goalie thread, not grossly overcompensated bottom pair d-men thread.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The amount of unforced errors this team has committed since the second of the back to back Cups is f***ing astonishing. :laugh:
Dubas moves so far are not impressive.

Ned and Eller are the only ones that has been positive IMO and they are very much depth moves. Every major decision he has made so far has not worked out well.

EK you can say neutral since we didn’t give up a whole lot but the team still sucked and the PP was embarrassing after adding him.
Graves has been horrible.
Jarry is who we knew he is but now he’s signed long term.
Sitting on his hands watching this team, and more baffling, the coaching staff steer a season right into the dumpster was just a work of art.
Does anyone other than Mike Sullivan actually think hiring his BFF to the coaching staff is going to work out well?

The Jake and Yager trades are still TBD.

It’s a small sample size but not exactly off to an encouraging start. I’m pretty sure by this time frame our beloved local writers were already sharpening the guillotine for Hextall.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Dubas moves so far are not impressive.

Ned and Eller are the only ones that has been positive IMO and they are very much depth moves. Every major decision he has made so far has not worked out well.

EK you can say neutral since we didn’t give up a whole lot but the team still sucked and the PP was embarrassing after adding him.
Graves has been horrible.
Jarry is who we knew he is but now he’s signed long term.
Sitting on his hands watching this team, and more baffling, the coaching staff steer a season right into the dumpster was just a work of art.
Does anyone other than Mike Sullivan actually think hiring his BFF to the coaching staff is going to work out well?

The Jake and Yager trades are still TBD.

It’s a small sample size but not exactly off to an encouraging start. I’m pretty sure by this time frame our beloved local writers were already sharpening the guillotine for Hextall.
Yeah, I mean, the whole time. JR's absurd about-face in targeting losers like Reaves, Gudbranson, Jack Johnson, etc. Then you had whatever the f*** Hextall was doing targeting losers like Petry, McGinn, Granlund, etc. Now we've got this lame ass Dubas stuff where he's saying he's gonna give the team a chance as long as Sid's here while losing Jake (who didn't want to re-sign cuz the team's dead in the water), etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad