Maple Leafs name Auston Matthews captain

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Nothing says Captain like intentionally structuring your contracts to perpetually make as much as you can, when you’re already overpaid, to the direct detriment of your team.

Captains miss crucial playoff games with a mystery injury they don’t want to talk about all the time as well. This dude is an ultra-talented loser.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
I knew some leafs fans who were upset he left and signed with Vancouver. Not saying it was all leafs fans but I did know some
Except he got a massive standing O upon his return - and what kind of reception does JT get in Long Island. These are polar opposite feelings regard Sundin and Leaf Nation and JT and the Island. Your little anecdotal stories aside.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Does he have what it takes to become a Stanley Cup Champion Captain, like Aleksander Barkov, Stanley Cup Champion Captain of the Florida Panthers?
He has 3 years to catch up. Since barkov has play 3 more season than Matthew’s has. However, i dont believe Matthew’s willl come close to the Cup, let alone the finals as a member of the TML.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
mmmm i think constant disappointment would be more fitting...utter disaster is reserved for think like the Giroux "era" in Ottawa.
Was the word contender being thrown around the group “era” sens? Like it was for the Leafs since Matthew’s was drafted?

No comparison. If there are no expectations there is no real disaster. Toronto and Ottawa can’t be compared in this. Ottawa sucks, and was supposed to suck, Toronto with all its high paid superstars dont suck during the season and utterly fail in the playoffs, year after year. The Maple leafs are an utter disaster in the Matthew’s era. 1 playoff round win is shameful and several 7 game chokes. Complete no shows.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Leafs don't want a tax cheat as captain, baby.

irs-never-gives-anyone-a-break-irs-wwe.gif

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
He should start his captaincy tenure with a team dress code that includes the latest in purses, earrings, and dumb looking hats.
"OK guys, first things first, show me pictures of your grandma's and then ask yourself why aren't you biting her style? Or my style icon, Janet Reno."

1723530279047.jpeg

1723530325323.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Oak

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
MLSE is all about regular season success and money. AM is the perfect choice for captain of the Toronto maple leafs!
Partly, they have achieved those successes. It is in the playoffs where the team has not been successful. Obviously, Tavares transferring the captaincy to Matthews on its own won't be the difference.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Partly, they have achieved those successes. It is in the playoffs where the team has not been successful. Obviously, Tavares transferring the captaincy to Matthews on its own won't be the difference.
Yes let’s change the coach, yes let’s change the captaincy, let’s not change the president who has overseen this farce for 9 yrs. Smh

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Has there ever been an instance of a team doing this change and winning the cup while the former captain is still on the team?

I feel the only right decision to make when you no longer want a guy to be captain is to trade him (or let him become free agent and sign with another team).

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Has there ever been an instance of a team doing this change and winning the cup while the former captain is still on the team?

I feel the only right decision to make when you no longer want a guy to be captain is to trade him (or let him become free agent and sign with another team).
Lee Fogolin handing off the captaincy to Gretzky.

Reactions: PaulD

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
matthews isn't captain material but what are you gonna do, there aren't a lot of options to choose from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad