Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs sign G Joseph Woll to 3-year entry-level contract (will report to Leafs, not Marlies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 262271

Interested to see what this means.

EDIT: Not done school, will be the number 3 goalie while he finishes up.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Interested to see what this means.

Signing Incentive aside I see three possible reasons
1. - NHL practice and shadowing through playoffs, maybe a nothing start at end of season
2. NHL practice and a couple starts to end season, sweet talk USA hockey into WHC gig
3. Option 1 PLUS they think he's farther along than conventional wisdom and think he could schallenge Sparks for backup

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Why wouldn't we just sign him later so it doesn't burn a year?

Or does he become a free agent this summer?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I think we might honestly be sleeping on this guy a bit still somehow.

.919 SV% and a 13-21 record shows that he probably saved this team from winning like 5 games.

Woll is one of the best goalie prospects in the world and should be good enough to be the Marlies starter next year.

Reactions: Menzinger

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Showing my age here but how about high school straight to the NHL...Tom Barrasso
Miracle on Ice star Jim Craig went college, to Olympic program to NHL...I am sure a few have done it since.

Allan Bester jumped straight from juniors and played a 32 game season for the Leafs as a 19 year old.

Reactions: BigBlu

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Just talked to my son and he says his closest comparable is Vasi. Monster big, can do the splits across entire goal line skate post to skate post, comes out to challenge, extremely athletic and a crazy fast glove hand. And a big game player. Plays better the bigger the game.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
This will make him a rfa at the same time Anderson is a ufa. He could be his replacement ?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Why wouldn't we just sign him later so it doesn't burn a year?

Or does he become a free agent this summer?

It's an aspect of negotiating the contract, and this isn't uncommon with college guys. The Leafs can basically give him NHL salary for the rest of this season, in exchange for... less salary in the following seasons, or something. There's no roster limit now, and they can't otherwise use any space they have left on the cap, so they can throw him this bone in exchange for something else, without losing anything.

"Burning a year" doesn't apply in this case because college guys' ELCs don't have to be 3 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad