Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Officially Sign Calle Rosen | Also Sign Andreas Borgman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I want some of you to take a step back and think critically about some of your comments. First, it is generally accepted that the leafs d "isnt good enough" and or "needs to be upgraded". If that is true, why the hell would we resign the exact same d core that "wasn't good enough"? Have we really gotten to the point where we are now blaming the weakness on carrick? like seriously? you cant cry about the d being mediocre one day, and then want to resign the same core the next......... news flash folks, these new swedes are most likely making the leafs next year... don't pencil them in on the marlies just yet.

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
Would be willing to wager serious money that Gardiner is going nowhere, and is highly regarded by our management.
He was an absolute beast in the playoffs.
Don't count his giveaways, count his clean exits and offensive ablility.
I know, you will have to count past one or two, but you will see it makes a difference if you try to see the glass 90% full rather then slightly empty.

Underrated comment. :laugh:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
LD depth?

Rielly
Gardiner
Rosen

RD

?
Zaitsev
Carrick

Maybe grab a veteran defenseman in case Rosen can't go off the hop and because depth in case of injuries is good.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
LD depth?

Rielly
Gardiner
Rosen

RD

?
Zaitsev
Carrick

Maybe grab a veteran defenseman in case Rosen can't go off the hop and because depth in case of injuries is good.

more than a few Swedish posters and I think actual reports have said Borgman is more NHL ready of the 2 (despite being younger) and plays a more NA style game

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
more than a few Swedish posters and I think actual reports have said Borgman is more NHL ready of the 2 (despite being younger) and plays a more NA style game
I believe Rosen also played on the right side with Holm on the left?

Not like it'd be hard for him to switch to LD, but worth mentioning.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

I don't know that actually its a good question maybe a sedish poster can answer. I was talking about of the 2 as LHD, if rosen can play RD then they can easily become a pairing at least see how they go.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Rielly --- Zaitsev
Gardiner --- ?
Borgman --- Carrick
Hunwick/Marincin

Rosen starts on the Marlies. There will be a trade/signing for another D to fit in the top 4. Mark my words.

Last edited:

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I don't see Carrick on the team next year. Babcock was absolutely against using him in the playoffs. He decided to use just 4 dmen instead of carrick and marincin

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Not like it'd be hard for him to switch to LD, but worth mentioning.

Most of his bombs and goals came from the right point in videos I've seen. Maybe just on the power play but he seems to like the right side. Would be a good fit if true.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I agree with this. Hunwick and Polak really finished strong.

But we obviously have to upgrade the D corps and how do you do that without making changes to that pairing? We know Gardiner Rielly and Zaifsev aren't fling anywhere.

That's not the pairing that needs improvement.... Between Polak, Hunwick and Reilly who played to there abilities best this year? It wasn't Rielly. In fact in terms of capabilities Rielly under performed more than any other Leaf D men. He's still very young and it was his first season playing the role he did. Things kind of snowball on him on the negative side of things. Struggled early & often. Then got the high ankle sprain, just a tough year for him but development is all about struggles and the fact that this coaching staff stuck with him I truly believe that it is this tough season that will be the turning point for Rielly becoming the star D men. Improvement just from Rielly alone playing to his abilities and the level he's capable of playing at will have a vast impact to the blue line.

Zats jut finished his rookie year... Is there more to him? I certainly do believe that and then there's the forums escape goat in Gardiner who's every bit as good as Rielly, if not a better talent when he's on top of his game. Gardiner's shown the ability to take over games and he's consistently played his best hockey when it's the toughest to play late in the season + playoffs. These are the 3 Dmen management and the coaching staff are banking at where the significant improvement will come from.... Changing depth D men to help the other 3 out won't have much impact at all if those 3 don't take the next step..

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
wouldn't be surprised in the least to see rosen play his way on to the team and be a good bottom pair / borderline 2nd pair guy as a rook.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
A Poster compared Borgman to Orlov a few months ago;

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=129464201&postcount=30

Andreas Borgman, hard hitting LH PMD, reportedly have a handful of teams interested in him according to respectable sources. One of them being NYR according to less established tweets, but OTOH it seems odd for someone to make that up on twitter with no source. Its not like its a tweet that will get you a lot of followers. A bit of an interesting player for sure. Best comparison IMO is Dimitri Orlov. Borgman is a true gym rat. A bit wild west style, Swedish Jack Johnson?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
wouldn't be surprised in the least to see rosen play his way on to the team and be a good bottom pair / borderline 2nd pair guy as a rook.

As for Borgman.
I don't usually put too much stock on youtube videos. But the plays he was making and goals he scored automatically puts him above Carrick in my opinion.

He has the tools, he can skate, has decent shot. It's matter of molding that game into NA. Some D to better in NA then do in Europe. In NA the rinks are smaller, you are able to hit more, get more physical, play along the boards and get to puck faster.

Borgman comes of as a defender made for NA type of hockey. You'll find players like OEL, who struggles in bigger surface but hands down one of the best D in NHL

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's not the pairing that needs improvement.... Between Polak, Hunwick and Reilly who played to there abilities best this year? It wasn't Rielly. In fact in terms of capabilities Rielly under performed more than any other Leaf D men. He's still very young and it was his first season playing the role he did. Things kind of snowball on him on the negative side of things. Struggled early & often. Then got the high ankle sprain, just a tough year for him but development is all about struggles and the fact that this coaching staff stuck with him I truly believe that it is this tough season that will be the turning point for Rielly becoming the star D men. Improvement just from Rielly alone playing to his abilities and the level he's capable of playing at will have a vast impact to the blue line.

Zats jut finished his rookie year... Is there more to him? I certainly do believe that and then there's the forums escape goat in Gardiner who's every bit as good as Rielly, if not a better talent when he's on top of his game. Gardiner's shown the ability to take over games and he's consistently played his best hockey when it's the toughest to play late in the season + playoffs. These are the 3 Dmen management and the coaching staff are banking at where the significant improvement will come from.... Changing depth D men to help the other 3 out won't have much impact at all if those 3 don't take the next step..

Quality post! Always nice to get some good insight and a fresh perspective.

I haven't been thinking about it like this (not sure anyone else has been either) but I think you're spot on. Instead of signing this or that free agent or talking about trading picks/prospects (or god forbid Marner) for help, the answer, or at least a large part of it, might be right under our noses. :)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

The more I read/watch, I agree.

Won't quite have the impact Zaitsev did, but will be solid.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Can't help but feel Zaitsevs 7 year contract looked good to these guys when picking a team.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Can't help but feel Zaitsevs 7 year contract looked good to these guys when picking a team.

they liked that the front office showed faith in a guy who played well?,.

Lets not forgot Zaitsev also had 7 years as a top dman in the KHL with multiple all star appearances and was Russias #1D at the world cup, he had leverage he was offered more to go back and play in the KHL

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I don't see Carrick on the team next year. Babcock was absolutely against using him in the playoffs. He decided to use just 4 dmen instead of carrick and marincin

I also think it's doubtful Carrick will be back.

As of now he'd be the # 3 Dman we protect in expansion but I believe management will find someone via trade that's better to protect. Which could A. mean Carrick is traded to another team or B. exposed and taken by Vegas.

Cody Franson has also been linked to the Leafs and could fill the type of minutes Carrick plays.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
I also think it's doubtful Carrick will be back.

As of now he'd be the # 3 Dman we protect in expansion but I believe management will find someone via trade that's better to protect. Which could A. mean Carrick is traded to another team or B. exposed and taken by Vegas.

Cody Franson has also been linked to the Leafs and could fill the type of minutes Carrick plays.

Any team acquiring Carrick would have to protect him in the expansion draft too, I think that really hurts his value.

I'm fairly confident he will be back, it helps his case that he's a RD. Ideally we find a top 4 RD and play Carrick 3rd pair where he's better suited.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I just love that we bagged them and other teams didn't. They have real promise to be solid NHLers

Lou and co just keep rolling. Good times.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Any team acquiring Carrick would have to protect him in the expansion draft too, I think that really hurts his value.

I'm fairly confident he will be back, it helps his case that he's a RD. Ideally we find a top 4 RD and play Carrick 3rd pair where he's better suited.
Well, I wonder about this. Teams have to lose one player. If they trade one protectable player for two protectable player, they buffer the loss in a way.
So, that might work in favor of a multiplayer trade.
I like Carrick, him and a stable vet on the third pair sounds good to me, with Rosen, Borgman, and Dermott chomping at the hit, applying pressure from below.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
they liked that the front office showed faith in a guy who played well?,.

Lets not forgot Zaitsev also had 7 years as a top dman in the KHL with multiple all star appearances and was Russias #1D at the world cup, he had leverage he was offered more to go back and play in the KHL
Let's not assume I forgot any of that how about?

I'm saying if they're talking to two teams like Montreal and Toronto, what's happened with Zaitsev may be more attractive looking to them then what hasn't happened yet with radulov. So I guess ya.. they liked that the front office showed faith in a guy who played well.

Couldn't have hurt giving them a fresh reminder of what's possible for a European free agent who plays well over here.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
carrick is very physical, surprisingly physical for his size.
Carrick is quite strong for his size! I recall seeing a picture on Twitter last summer of his training and he was doing full squats with over 400 pounds!
He just turned 23 last month and has now played 120 NHL regular season and 6 NHL Playoff games! I believe it is very reasonable to expect him to continue to improve!
As far as his ice time being cut back in a couple of the playoff games, it is very common for guy to play through injury which would hinder their play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad