GDT: Maple Leafs @ Bruins Down 1-0 8PM HNIC: Fortune Favours the Bold

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Then how big is he really?

Just a squirt like Marner? Even Marner went into the dirty areas. Marner has heart.

Matthews can wipe people out if he wanted to. He has to do it. His own team will respond if he starts throwing his 6'4" 240 pounds body around. He has to make space for himself.

Why would you suddenly expect Matthews to be someone he's not? That's not his game. Nobody expected Mario Lemieux to be demolishing everyone on the ice with big hits just because he was physically a big guy.

Leafs just need Babcock to put Auston in a position to succeed. Did anybody watch how Gallant was using his best players for the Vegas win tonight? Karlsson, Neal and Marchessault. Sure would be nice to see Matthews used in the same way.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
At a certain point Matthews usage needs to reflect him being far and away our best player. I completely understand the reasoning behind reigning it in for basic regular season games.....but if there was ever a time to just ride your best players I would say this is absolutely that time. Now saying that he has already saddled them with a anchor. Is what it is though, team has a lot stacked against them tonight and Kadri or no Kadri needs to actually show up to compete.

Reactions: marty111

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Win and you've got a shot. Lose and the Leafs season is probably done.

It'll be interesting to see how they come out in the first 10 mins after being thoroughly outplayed in game 1.

Andersen needs to be better than he's been too.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Leafs game isn’t physical. We will not beat down the Bruins. Leo is on the first line to be physical so matthews and his healing shoulder do not need to be.

We need to stay out of the box

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
hnic-playoffs-toronto-at-boston-maple-leafs-at-bruins-tor-at-bos.jpg

Saturday game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Boston Bruins

The Leafs will have to slow down Brad Marchand in Game 2.

Saturday game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Boston Bruins | The Star

marchand.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Brad Marchand had a goal, an assist and a kiss in the series opener against Toronto. (Icon Sportswire / GETTY IMAGES)

Fri., April 13, 2018

TD GARDEN
TIME:
8 p.m.
TV: CBC
KEY PLAYERS
Marchand vs. Komarov
Boston’s Brad Marchand was a force in Game 1 with a goal and assist and kiss on the cheek to Toronto’s Leo Komarov. It’s the second kiss Marchand has delivered to Komarov this year. The Leafs hope putting Komarov on the top line will help distract Marchand.
NEED TO KNOW
Bruins forward Tommy Wingels (head), on the receiving end of the Nazem Kadri hit Thursday, did not practice Friday and is questionable for Game 2. Rookie Ryan Donato skated in Wingels’ spot. Donato had five goals, four assists in 12 games after turning pro in March ... The Bruins have a 30-18 record in Game 2s when leading a series 1-0 ... David Krejci (one goal, one assist in Game 1) had his 20th multi-point playoff game ... Boston went 3-for-6 on the power play in the series opener; Toronto was 0-for-3.
UP NEXT
Game 3, Monday, at Toronto, 7 p.m.

Boston Bruins‏Verified account @NHLBruins 20h20 hours ago
#NHLBruins practice lines: Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak DeBrusk - Krejci - Rick Nash Donato - Acciari - Backes Schaller - Kuraly - Heinen Gionta - Riley Nash Chara - McAvoy Krug - Miller Grzelcyk - McQuaid Holden Rask Khudobin

Mark Masters‏Verified account @markhmasters
Lines at Leafs practice Komarov-Matthews-Nylander Hyman-Marleau-Marner JvR-Bozak-Brown Johnsson-Plekanec-Kapanen Martin, Moore Rielly-Hainsey Gardiner-Zaitsev Dermott-Polak Leivo-Carrick Andersen McElhinney

Mark Masters‏Verified account @markhmasters
Andreas Johnsson taking Kadri's spot on top PP unit Rielly Bozak-Johnsson-Marner JvR Gardiner Matthews-Komarov-Nylander Marleau

Leafs' Kadri clobbered with three-game suspension for nasty hit
Lance HornbyMore from Lance Hornby

Leafs’ Kadri clobbered with three-game suspension for nasty hit

BOSTON –– The NHL hit Nazem Kadri and the Maple Leafs hard for his dangerous check on Bruins forward Tommy Wingels.
Late Friday, the league’s department of player safety suspended Kadri for three games, a huge blow to Toronto, which will be without their second-line 30-goal centre until Game 5 — if there is one with Boston taking the series opener.
In a video released with its ruling, the league noted Kadri was a three-peat offender and that “with sufficient time to adjust his course or minimize the force, (Kadri) instead drives relentlessly into the defenceless Wingels.”

McKenzie: Kadri's suspension an enormous blow to the Leafs

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/mckenzie-kadri-s-suspension-an-enormous-blow-to-the-leafs~1370639

The NHL suspended Toronto centre Nazem Kadri for three games for boarding Boston forward Tommy Wingels in Game 1. The TSN Hockey Panel discusses the decision and what it means for the Maple Leafs in Game 2 and beyond.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Let's hope that Matthews shows up and that Andersen has a better game.

I'm going to predict that the fourth line is going to have a heck of a game and everyone is going to wonder why.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Let's hope that Matthews shows up and that Andersen has a better game.

I'm going to predict that the fourth line is going to have a heck of a game and everyone is going to wonder why.

Everyone would know why

Reactions: coupe93

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Last game we saw their stars step up.

Now it’s time for ours too as well

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I hope Komarov can get back to fan favourite status tonight. Nothing would make me happy to see his rat face grin and make them waste energy.

Stop thinking you're an all-star and get back to your roots Leo.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
there's an old saying. fortune favours the bold. well, I guess we're about to find out.
Benjamin Sisko - Deep Space Nine

Alrighty.

Historical context - we have been in this situation.
Several times the Leafs have been pummeled in Game 1. (1993 vs. Detroit, 2000 vs. Ottawa, 2013 vs. Boston).
Many times the Leafs have looked like they were overwhelmed and out of place, causing us to wonder if things were just going to end up being worse.

Two of the three series - the Leafs won game 2.
(the other one, they kinda got pummeled again but they won the series anyway so alls well that ends well)

Right now we are cranky because the team looked like poop, Babcock didn't coach well, and Kadri is gone for three games. We don't know how things are going to turn out, everyone is gleefully rubbing their hands together counting us out, and things look bleak.

Let's not bend. Let's not break.

The Leafs have won games without their best player. Missing Kadri, playoff games or not, shouldn't phase this group. They've already been through worse.

People have counted out this team since day one two years ago. All this team has done has turn around and proved everyone wrong.

Everytime the Leafs have been embarrassed - the Leafs have turned around and embarrassed teams right back.

We need to remember it is always us against the world. We need to remember that this team always likes to take the road less travelled and make life interesting(ly stressful) for us. It's what is so frustratingly awesome about this team.

This team has Honour, Courage and Pride.

This team is going to shock the spit out of the TD Gardens.
This team is going to show Boston, that they are not going to be an easy out
This team is going to come back to Toronto with the series tied 1-1.
This team is gonna win, damnit..

Fortune Favours the Bold.
The Leafs are nothing if not Bold.

GO LEAFS GO!
:clap:

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Look for Matthews to get double shifted, I expect Babcock will throw hit out with Marleau and Marner. Could sneak a couple past the bruins with a good match up

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I've been in a huge funk of despair and rage for the past day and a half.

But... that's the best opening of a GDT I've ever seen.

Feeling infinitely more hopeful for tonight and the rest of the series.

Thank you for that Daisy!

GLG!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad