Value of: Mantha

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
He's definitely not getting traded this season, and SY and management seem to be behind him as part of the future of the team.

I'm not at all of the belief that he's "too old" at 26 years old to be an effective player when the team is competitive.

Reactions: TS Quint

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I wonder if he'd fit with the Jackets. Obviously Mantha can score in bunches but how good is he defensively? Is he the type of guy we have to worry about him slipping into the doghouse? Can he create on his own?

Regardless, that kind of scoring punch is worth a lot. The team has a lot of pending free agents and they need another topline winger to signal to the pending FAs that they're serious about winning. Perhaps:

:wings

Gus Nyquist + 1st round pick + your choice of any prospect (Liam Foudy, Kirill Marchenko, etc..)

:cbj

Anthony Mantha

Obviously Gus is rehabbing from shoulder surgery right now. He was a smart and useful player for the Jackets last year but wasn't able to shoot like he used to because of a longstanding shoulder issue, I'm hoping his old shot comes back.
I'd take it

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago
Is there any underlying reasoning to why he looked so disinterested this afternoon or is this just what Mantha is? He looked downright lazy.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Is there any underlying reasoning to why he looked so disinterested this afternoon or is this just what Mantha is? He looked downright lazy.
I think he was inspired by how quickly PLD got moved after showing similar effort. Maybe he's frustrated with losing, maybe he wants out of Detroit.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I think he was inspired by how quickly PLD got moved after showing similar effort. Maybe he's frustrated with losing, maybe he wants out of Detroit.
Perhaps it has to do more with being off close to 11 months, Then wanting out of Detroit. If he wanted out of Detroit. I seriously doubt he'd commit 4 years plus buy a new home in the Metro Detroit area.

Reactions: lilidk

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Perhaps it has to do more with being off close to 11 months, Then wanting out of Detroit. If he wanted out of Detroit. I seriously doubt he'd commit 4 years plus buy a new home in the Metro Detroit area.
I guess after 11 months off you forget how to put in effort or play like you give a shit.
Good point about the new contract though.

Reactions: LazyT

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like Mantha size and offense but if his 200 game is lacking, Julien will send him ti the press box to make paper airplanes.

Trade value is a Lehky and a very high value prospect.....Caufield/Struble.

Lehky...Caufield/Struble...Byron and a low 1st. Too low? Because why? Both prospects are top 4 or top 6 and will be giving a decade of service when Mantha starts declining in a few years.

Or let him get bored of losing....

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I wonder if he'd fit with the Jackets. Obviously Mantha can score in bunches but how good is he defensively? Is he the type of guy we have to worry about him slipping into the doghouse? Can he create on his own?

Regardless, that kind of scoring punch is worth a lot. The team has a lot of pending free agents and they need another topline winger to signal to the pending FAs that they're serious about winning. Perhaps:

:wings

Gus Nyquist + 1st round pick + your choice of any prospect (Liam Foudy, Kirill Marchenko, etc..)

:cbj

Anthony Mantha

Obviously Gus is rehabbing from shoulder surgery right now. He was a smart and useful player for the Jackets last year but wasn't able to shoot like he used to because of a longstanding shoulder issue, I'm hoping his old shot comes back.

Nyquist is OK.
But I like Marchenko. And a first?
I honestly like this deal for Detroit.

Reactions: lilidk

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
They should trade him, but much value does he really have? I'd much rather have Burakovsky than him right now, and the avs only paid a second to get him. Guess it makes sense to trade him to the islanders for a first and defense prospect.

Burakovsky had 3 straight 12-goal seasons and was nowhere near realizing his potential. Mantha, in some ways is the same, but he's done better than 3 straight 12-goal seasons.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nyquist is OK.
But I like Marchenko. And a first?
I honestly like this deal for Detroit.

Well now that the Dubois-Laine trade has happened the Jackets can't do it anymore. All of their trade capital has to go into getting better at center ice.

And yes, Nyquist isn't supposed to be the main draw of the deal, he's just a good winger and Detroit could use him. Kirill Marchenko is probably the main draw, and 1sts are always nice. At this point I feel sheepish about the Foudy suggestion, he just had a couple huge games.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
legit sized , 6'+ 200lb+ , left shooting dman prospect + a 1st is what ide hope for . and detroit could take back a cap dump plus add a vet if its a deal to a contender .

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
You have to wonder if it might not be smarter for the Canucks to wait a year until salary clears out and try to get some good UFA winger instead. Get next year's Toffoli and save your prospects.
Actually I don’t wonder at all. There is zero chance the Canucks move their only entry level players with real nhl potential and their second consecutive 1st. I like Mantha but he has career high of 48points, not exactly the kind of player you trade a huge futures package for.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Eww...with s meh...

For a 6 foot 5, 235 player, dudes incredible softie and poor at his own end.

What comes to his scoring abilities... career high's : 25 goals, 24 assists, 48 points...
7th pro season already.

Reactions: buud

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Eww...with s meh...

For a 6 foot 5, 235 player, dudes incredible softie and poor at his own end.

What comes to his scoring abilities... career high's : 25 goals, 24 assists, 48 points...
7th pro season already.
Calling Mantha soft is a pretty weird take. And his last two seasons have been pretty impressive, the only thing holding him back has been injuries. Can't deny that he's been pretty bad to start the year but I think he will turn it around.

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I just went over to capfriendly. Mantha is 5.7 million dollar cap hit. Ouch.

Can't see him fit for the Habs unless we send Drouin the other way. Apples for apples....waste of time. Although with Anderson on one side and Mantha in the other, Suzuki will look like the kid brother....lol

Lehky plus Caufield plus Byron? Helps the Habs but does nothing for the Wings unless they really value Caulfield.

Still...no way he fits in unless he plays 200 foot game. With Anderson and Suzuki, if he doesnt play a complete game, he will stand out....badly.

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
I know it was only preseason, but last year during preseason, he looked like an absolute beast and i was sure he was going to be a dominant player with potentially 40 goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad