Confirmed with Link: Manny Malhotra out for the season (on IR)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
How it probably went down:

Several months after injury

Gillis: So like, your eye... you solid, homie?

Malhotra: It's good now, dawg. I got this issue locked down like a maximum penitentiary.

Gillis: Aight, team needs you for the finals. Go get some!

Offseason

Gillis: What happened out there, M-unit?

Malhotra: Just felt too rushed, dig? With a whole offseason, I got this on lock down again.

Gillis: Tight, yo.

Somewhere halfway through 2011/12 season

Gillis: Yo, homie, what's the deal? Why you crampin' my style? I feel the heat up in here.

Malhotra: Dawg, ain't you hear? This ****'s mad whack, yo. I need more time's, all.

End of season

Gillis: You're done, home skillet. Ain't nothin' left for you here but the sad blues, and I ain't talkin about no team out in Saint Lou, neither.

Malhotra: I feel you, dawg, I feel you. But... but I got's character, yo. Gimme one more chance!

Gillis: Aight. You get a few more games next year, yo, but you better impress, dig?

Malhotra: Word.

After 10 games in 2012/13 season

Gillis: You ain't got it, home slice. Sad to say but I'ma have to cut you loose.

Malhotra: But... Just more one chance, dawg! For old times sake. Brothers helpin' brothers out, yo!

Gillis: Naw, yo. You've used up all your Lindsay Lohans. Time to split, homie.

Malhotra: But... but... Character!

Gillis: Aight, aight. Since I got nothin' but love for ya, brother, I'ma give you somethin' up with the rest of the top homies in suits. Feel me?

Malhotra: Tight. Yo, where you off to?"

Gillis: I have to return some videotapes.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It certainly is suspicious considering our history with guys coming back from injury and others going on IR at the same time, but in this case I think it's just that - convenient timing. In other cases before though...

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think it's important to note what was mentioned a few posts ago...the PA and Malhotra are OK with this. Or at least it seems that is the case, because if they weren't they would already be talking grievance on behalf of the player. That isn't happening. While Malhotra may not want to retire it seems clear that at this point he knows he is done for the season. If something magical can happen between now and next season where things improve to the point he can safely play again he may do so. If there is nothing further to be done or he doesn't want anything further he will retire at that point.

There is certainly nothing underhanded in this whole thing. There is a medical reason for the move to the IR list and Malhotra being Malhotra just didn't want to be the one to really make the call, so Gillis did it. Malhotra is proud, a leader, a team first guy...he was never going to make the call because to him it is like he would be letting the team down.

It's a gutsy decision by Gillis. But I think it's the correct one. I'd rather the canucks be known as the organization that waited for injuries to heal and had concern for the player rather than the rep the Flyers, for instance, have. And well the canucks learned the lesson with the whole Hodgson thing. The canucks are very up front now of not wanting to risk a players health and that is the right thing to do.

When it comes down to it, in a cap world where offered money is similar a players decision to sign with a team really does start to turn to other things. Player treatment is a big part of those other things.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
It certainly is suspicious considering our history with guys coming back from injury and others going on IR at the same time, but in this case I think it's just that - convenient timing. In other cases before though...

It is suspicious, well the timing seems calculated, at worst its taking advantage of the rules, and finding ways to bend them. That's the culture of the NHL's caped system IMO,(The way its set up and the CBA) In some other sporting leagues around the world they wouldn't allow some of the things that go on. I'm talking about stuff like the Tim Tommas fiasco, This (The Manny thing) is along the same lines, I feel.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
He's just not good enough anymore.
Sure his faceoff skills will be missed, but at this point a guy like Konopka provides as much, or likely more.
It's sad because we all love the guy, but MG has to do what's best for the team.
Setting up Manny with a potential long term job with the club is a win win for everyone.
It's clear his eye situation isn't going to improve. He's a yr away from being out of the league anyways if MG doesn't do this now.
Hopefully MG handled it in a positive manner, and Manny wants to be a Canuck for life. I trust this is the case.

Sometimes it's so easy to take things for granted. What we had in him as a third line center not long ago, seems like it was another lifetime.

Blessings and many thanks to you Manny!

Outside99*

After the injury, Malhotra was between serviceable and unplayable. was carried by Hansen ly and at one point was minus whatever and Hansen was plus when they were mostly on the ice together. was like that on the pk too. Same thing this year. Team was very patient.

also, we saw with RG3 that often players want to keep going out there when its not safe to do so.

Reality is if malhotra was close to 100%, his play would be good and he would not be at risk. Unfortunately, he is not, his play is poor And he's at risk.

gillis handled this situation very well IMO.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It is suspicious, well the timing seems calculated, at worst its taking advantage of the rules, and finding ways to bend them. That's the culture of the NHL's caped system IMO,(The way its set up and the CBA) In some other sporting leagues around the world they wouldn't allow some of the things that go on. I'm talking about stuff like the Tim Tommas fiasco, This (The Manny thing) is along the same lines, I feel.

Sure there's the room for that kind of thinking, but let's not pretend that there isn't genuine concern for his safety out there either - if what Friedman had to say about players' observations of Manny is anything to go by.

Edit: Like tantalum said, Manny is a proud enough guy that he probably would want to keep playing even if there was a risk to himself because he'd likely feel as if he had let the team down by calling it quits. MG had to make that call for him (hence the part about taking the decision away from him) and I think it's the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Anzes Eyes

5th line centre
Jun 2, 2011
Sure there's the room for that kind of thinking, but let's not pretend that there isn't genuine concern for his safety out there either - if what Friedman had to say about players' observations of Manny is anything to go by.

Edit: Like tantalum said, Manny is a proud enough guy that he probably would want to keep playing even if there was a risk to himself because he'd likely feel as if he had let the team down by calling it quits. MG had to make that call for him (hence the part about taking the decision away from him) and I think it's the right thing to do.

Friedman link please

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

exactly. There is a difference between waiting to bring a guy off the IR until such time as a roster spot or cap space can be cleared. That is something teams do all the time, though admittedly Gillis and Gilman are REALLY good at it and exploit it for all it's worth. But every team does it to some degree.

It's another to believe that the injury is fake. It's not fake. If it were you better believe the fines would be coming from the league and the grievances would be coming from the PA. There has been nothing to suggest at this point the league or PA has any concern of impropriety.

What we have is a player who has an injury that can cause severe enough problems on the ice that it puts him in danger of life altering injuries. Not career altering. True every player takes on that inherent risk when they play but sometimes that risk is greatly elevated and it's simply not worth it. It's why the possibility exists for Crosby to retire if he gets another concussion. In this case, the GM has decided to force the issue a bit to protect the player from himself.

And honestly, if Kesler was ready 7-10 days ago and they waited until now it goes to the same line of thinking....let's make sure you are ready.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
I hope that they keep Manny around to help with player development. The best coaches had to struggle as players to figure out how best to compete at the highest levels. The things he could teach a guy like Gaunce...

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Just the wisest move for his health... looking at how his eye has been holding up since the injury has always made me very uncomfortable with him out there regardless of his effectiveness playing for us. Really would like him to stay with the organization though, one of the classiest players that has ever been on this team.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
AV just expanded on it. Said Manny is still mulling over his future but that he's still a part of the team and welcome to practice with them.

Weird situation though.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Players on IR are allowed to travel and practice with the team. But yeah, awkward situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad