Managements worst slaps in Face to star players

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I was heartbroken when the Russian Rocket was traded away for Jovanovski and a bunch of crap. I must admit I never truly respected Jovocop as much as I probably should. I kind of resented him because I thought Bure was the far superior player. Or maybe it was simply because he was traded in return for my all-time favorite player.

Oh how I miss the days of #10

To be fair, if you're going to trade a star player, Jovo was a proper target but the deal was doomed to fail. In hindsight, that Panthers team was devoid of young assets that would have made a long term impact. Could they have pried Whitney out of there? I don't think Dan Boyle would have blossomed into star with the Canucks. Maybe Neidermayer would be better here. There just wasn't an additional piece that would have made a long term difference. Not sure why we threw in Hedican. Granted Hedican wasn't someone we cried about losing.

Burke just can't acquire secondary scoring and goaltending. Gagner sucked from the start. Weekes wasn't the hardest working man in hockey. Then it came to that first round pick. Even if we didn't agree to the pick being conditional we would have gotten the 12th overall pick in the 1999 draft and likely moved that pick as part of the Sedin trade. Even if we managed to keep that pick, if the team didn't pick Jackman or Havlat (maybe even throw Boyton in there) that would have been a nothing pick. But that might have meant we kept our own 2000 pick. Maybe we pick up Hainsey or Orpik? Of course we went on to to pick Nathan Smith later in the draft which was absolutely terrible.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
To be fair, if you're going to trade a star player, Jovo was a proper target but the deal was doomed to fail. In hindsight, that Panthers team was devoid of young assets that would have made a long term impact. Could they have pried Whitney out of there? I don't think Dan Boyle would have blossomed into star with the Canucks. Maybe Neidermayer would be better here. There just wasn't an additional piece that would have made a long term difference. Not sure why we threw in Hedican. Granted Hedican wasn't someone we cried about losing.

Burke just can't acquire secondary scoring and goaltending. Gagner sucked from the start. Weekes wasn't the hardest working man in hockey. Then it came to that first round pick. Even if we didn't agree to the pick being conditional we would have gotten the 12th overall pick in the 1999 draft and likely moved that pick as part of the Sedin trade. Even if we managed to keep that pick, if the team didn't pick Jackman or Havlat (maybe even throw Boyton in there) that would have been a nothing pick. But that might have meant we kept our own 2000 pick. Maybe we pick up Hainsey or Orpik? Of course we went on to to pick Nathan Smith later in the draft which was absolutely terrible.
In a weird twist of fate, after Gagner's playing days for over he was later hired by Mike Gillis. Gagner was the scout that pushed hard for the Canucks to sign free agent amateur prospect Chris Tanev.

• Wow
Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Could have a thread about management worst slaps at fans too. List all the lies told to sucker fans into paying money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad