Managements worst slaps in Face to star players

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
They sure did.

All contracts were negotiated in USD at the time and the Canucks tried to trick Bure with a contract that was in canadian...
I can't speak 100% for negotiations, but at the time plenty of contracts were still in Canadian dollars, and in that sense it's not as egregious as it sounds. There was almost certainly still deception, but it's not like this was out of left field (like it turned out to be Malaysian ringgits or something).

Reactions: Vector

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ottawa traded hossa for dany heatley hours after signing him to an extension that iirc both ate UFA years and included a team-friendly discount

this pissed off chara, who as a result left the next offseason

another one is buffalo disrespecting danny briere when he and chris drury were both impending UFAs. they prioritized drury and didn’t even talk to briere until after drury signed with new york, at which point briere, who is rumoured to have been amenable to a discount to leave room for other contacts (for ex, vanek coming off his ELC), told them where to go and took the bag philly was offering. then buffalo was forced into matching the inflationary offer sheet vanek got from edmonton, which ended that core’s run as a contender. benning-esque.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I can't speak 100% for negotiations, but at the time plenty of contracts were still in Canadian dollars, and in that sense it's not as egregious as it sounds. There was almost certainly still deception, but it's not like this was out of left field (like it turned out to be Malaysian ringgits or something).
You probably know better than me.

From what I understood it was completely out of left field to talk about numbers and not mean USD.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Wasn't Carter or Richards (or both) traded shortly after re-signing a long term deal too?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Carter, yeah. Signed an extension then was traded to Columbus before it even started. Was part of the Flyers big culture reset.
Yeah, “culture reset”

giphy.gif

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I would say the worst recent slap in the face moment was when Benning took a trip to the U18 WJC in peak COVID (March 2021).

Saw his entire team in Vancouver get COVID and completely ducked out leaving the players along with Travis Green to face the media.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
There's a lot of negligent, criminal management stories, but if we are talking star players -

I think Dean Lombardi is a colossal piece of shit. When he was rumored to be in the running for a Canucks' executive position, I was so pissed and worried he'd end up with this team, and I think the stars he didn't. For why I think he's a colossal piece of shit, I need to give some background to the Slava Voynov situation. Voynov was a defensemen the Kings held in high esteem, except he was then accused of assaulting his wife in a horrific case of domestic violence, where many of the details were readily available to read. It was horrid. Voynov ultimately plead no contest to a charge of corporal injury to a spouse, was suspended for a year by the NHL, and never played in the league again.

However, during this suspension, this didn't stop Lombardi and his LA Kings from trying to sneak him into their practice facilities to continue skating and being with the team. He was a full participant in practice until the league got wind of it, and the league fined the Kings $100,000.00. (chump change in the grand scheme of things, but at least sticking to the guns of their suspension).

As for how this relates to a star player, let's compare Lombardi's reaction and treatment of a man who plead no contest to beating his wife, to his treatment of Mike Richards. Mike Richards was arrested at the Canadian border for being in possession of Oxycodone without a prescription on June 17th. In this case, Dean Lombardi reacted swiftly, terminating Mike Richards' contract on June 29th - just 12 days later. There was no sneaking Richards into practice facilities, and no attempts to work with the player at all. Why? Because Richards was on a bad contract. His play had deteriorated and Lombardi, scumbag that he is, pounced on the opportunity to terminate it and then went public with a bunch of crocodile tears talking about how he was "played" by Mike Richards, and that what had become of him was a "tragedy".

But the tragedy he refers to isn't even one of a person who may or may not have been dealing with substance abuse issues, but rather talking about his decline in play. He then went on to say that Richards should be held accountable for his actions, and that he was in a destructive spiral. A far cry from his actions on Voynov.

And the kicker, to me, is that Richards' charges were stayed by the courts in Manitoba. He returned to the NHL with the Washington Capitals the following season.

TL; DR - Dean Lombardi was just fine with retaining a wife beating asshole and sneaking him into practice facilities because he was a young player on a good contract. On the flip side, when a respected veteran got caught up in trouble, he waited a matter of days before kicking him to the curb, publicly eviscerating him, and crying the victim.

f*** that guy.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
And if the Canucks could have put up $25 million, Greg Adams, Kirk McLean and 3 1st round picks, Gretzky would have been a Canuck.
25 Million was probably something that the Griffiths family didn't have laying around to be honest. That's quite the tidy sum back then.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
What if you called the greatest player ever in the middle of the night for him to sign now instead of in the morning and ruin the whole relationship
Iono if I had a young Gretzkys number I'd be calling him late at night

Reactions: Kryten

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
There's a lot of negligent, criminal management stories, but if we are talking star players -

I think Dean Lombardi is a colossal piece of shit. When he was rumored to be in the running for a Canucks' executive position, I was so pissed and worried he'd end up with this team, and I think the stars he didn't. For why I think he's a colossal piece of shit, I need to give some background to the Slava Voynov situation. Voynov was a defensemen the Kings held in high esteem, except he was then accused of assaulting his wife in a horrific case of domestic violence, where many of the details were readily available to read. It was horrid. Voynov ultimately plead no contest to a charge of corporal injury to a spouse, was suspended for a year by the NHL, and never played in the league again.

However, during this suspension, this didn't stop Lombardi and his LA Kings from trying to sneak him into their practice facilities to continue skating and being with the team. He was a full participant in practice until the league got wind of it, and the league fined the Kings $100,000.00. (chump change in the grand scheme of things, but at least sticking to the guns of their suspension).

As for how this relates to a star player, let's compare Lombardi's reaction and treatment of a man who plead no contest to beating his wife, to his treatment of Mike Richards. Mike Richards was arrested at the Canadian border for being in possession of Oxycodone without a prescription on June 17th. In this case, Dean Lombardi reacted swiftly, terminating Mike Richards' contract on June 29th - just 12 days later. There was no sneaking Richards into practice facilities, and no attempts to work with the player at all. Why? Because Richards was on a bad contract. His play had deteriorated and Lombardi, scumbag that he is, pounced on the opportunity to terminate it and then went public with a bunch of crocodile tears talking about how he was "played" by Mike Richards, and that what had become of him was a "tragedy".

But the tragedy he refers to isn't even one of a person who may or may not have been dealing with substance abuse issues, but rather talking about his decline in play. He then went on to say that Richards should be held accountable for his actions, and that he was in a destructive spiral. A far cry from his actions on Voynov.

And the kicker, to me, is that Richards' charges were stayed by the courts in Manitoba. He returned to the NHL with the Washington Capitals the following season.

TL; DR - Dean Lombardi was just fine with retaining a wife beating asshole and sneaking him into practice facilities because he was a young player on a good contract. On the flip side, when a respected veteran got caught up in trouble, he waited a matter of days before kicking him to the curb, publicly eviscerating him, and crying the victim.

f*** that guy.

But 2 Cups with the Kings and shit. The OBC will protect their own, good and bad unfortunately.

Reactions: Bubbles

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ya that was a weird one. There were certainly contracts negotiated in Canadian dollars but the contracts that Fedorov and Mogilny got were in US dollars so Bure thought he was getting the same. Usually I would be highly suspicious and blame incompetence on Bure's agent's part but given the dispute over the lockout money (which Bure won), I believe Bure's side.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
And if the Canucks could have put up $25 million, Greg Adams, Kirk McLean and 3 1st round picks, Gretzky would have been a Canuck.

For what the Nucks offered it comes down who is telling the story. Oilers had Ranford and Fuhr still and Fuhr was still the number 1 goalie. I saw one story a few years ago where we offered Pederson and Bradley and picks for Gretz. I love and miss the Griffiths family running the team but they could not come up with the cold hard cash because they were honest business people

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad