Value of: Make a Trade with the Rangers

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don't think anyone respects people who are lazy. When you sit back and make us do your work ("Make a trade with the Rangers"), we become less inspired. Mostly we are reluctant.

I think the amount of responses that this thread has gotten so far and the amount of similar threads that have been made on here over the years would say otherwise.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Well, you're crazy if you wouldn't trade #2 and Kreider for Hughes.

Kakko will be good, like Eichel...but Hughes will be great, like McDavid.

You do realize that Hughes is not listed as that type of generational prospect, right?

McDavid is the best prospect and player since Crosby. No one has come close and most likely won’t for a while.

Reactions: haveandare and Kupo

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We are not trading Staal for Marleau, Staal can mentor the young D we have.
disagree
Way too many LDs.
Need to move Staal AND Skjei
and of course Smith

we have seen enuf from Hajek, Lindgren and Claesson to have 3LDs to pair.
Rykov
Reunanen
are expected invites to camp, who could surprise

Shatty we hope rebounds from injury, and returning to soon from it.
We may move him later.

Strike while the iron is hot, move Staal now while there is a Marleau to facilitate a deal. If that does not happen, we will be holding on to Staal for the foreseeable future.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
So would the Rangers rather have one year of Marleau or Cally? And if the latter at what cost to TB?

Cally.

Cally and 2 3rds for a 7th. (Assuming we don't need the money / prevents us from useing it on Panarin or others.)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why should the rangers help the leafs without getting anything out of it? Retaining 50% of Staal and getting Marleau back doesn't make any sense.

It makes plenty of sense.
While we are eating and Leafs are not, it is moving 2yrs Staal for 1 yr Marleau, who would be a righty shot RW or depth pivot.
And Marleau, esp if he is showing good form and no injury late, can be moved for swag.

Staal, however, does not command asset return and is reduced player we have to pay to move, this $ scenario is a rare opportunity.
Staal at 5.7x2 does not get moved in a hockey trade, even at half.

Trade Staal
Skjei will get decent, not great, but solid return

Smith is a prob, but if no takers we bury him in the A.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
disagree
Way too many LDs.
Need to move Staal AND Skjei
and of course Smith

we have seen enuf from Hajek, Lindgren and Claesson to have 3LDs to pair.
Rykov
Reunanen
are expected invites to camp, who could surprise

Shatty we hope rebounds from injury, and returning to soon from it.
We may move him later.

Strike while the iron is hot, move Staal now while there is a Marleau to facilitate a deal. If that does not happen, we will be holding on to Staal for the foreseeable future.

I think Skjei getting the contract he did last year speaks volumes as to how the Rangers brass views him. He is McD-like to them at this point, I'd guess.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Mostly yes but.........

This is why he proposed it like that........
If the alternative is buying Staal out, the penalty goes for 2 extra years @ 1.2million against the cap until 2023/24. So you have 4yrs.....2.9m, 3.7m, 1.2m and 1.2m.

If you take Marleau, you have 1 yr of his cap hit, trading and retaining 50% on Staal for 2 yrs would be 2.85m for 2 seasons. You pay more the first 2 yrs with Marleaus hit added but you don't have the 1.2m penalty for 2 additional years. That is where you free up money. At this point during the rebuild, if the Rangers are not going all in for Panarin, this would not be a terrible move to rid ourselves of Staal, assuming a buyout is imminent otherwise. Then they can move Smith to Siberia or the AHL.

we are approaching end times
general concurrence

except we can still do Panarin here
and
the overlook is I don't expect us to extend Marleau, and our options may be limited as to giving him a significant say, but we can be off the hook for Staal at half and actually use/get something for Marleau as rental this season.

Fact that it fits the synergy narrative is a bonus.

Are we moving Buch ++ for 8OA?
This is the kind of stopgap move for a W we should do.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think Skjei getting the contract he did last year speaks volumes as to how the Rangers brass views him. He is McD-like to them at this point, I'd guess.

I can see how esp early on, given the skating, there was inclination to go there w/Skjei as a McD lite.

My point is, I don't want to take crazy less and I'm not looking for overpay.
We obv have the LDs, move Skjei as soon as a good partner for him gives us a good offer.

Remember while Rykov does not need to be protected, I believe both Lindgren and Hajek will require exp draft protection. Thankfully Fox does not, but still, that's 2 of 3 slots.

don't take a bad deal now or at anytime, but if the getting is good, get it done now.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
So would the Rangers rather have one year of Marleau or Cally? And if the latter at what cost to TB?

Which ever one comes with a better asset attached to them.

As for the second part of your question, the Rangers have Tampa’s 2nd and Dallas’ 2nd. Both picks for Callahan and Tampa’s 1st might be a move that interests both teams.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019

As for the second part of your question, the Rangers have Tampa’s 2nd and Dallas’ 2nd. Both picks for Callahan and Tampa’s 1st might be a move that interests both teams.
That’s as close to reasonable as anything I’ve heard. Not sure the Rangers do it though

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
As a Rangers fan--not a fan of a shitload of trades before the next season even starts. The coaching staff wouldn't be either. You want guys like Kakko and Kravtsov and Fox to come into a somewhat stable environment.

As well 3rd rounders for established NHL players isn't very smart to me. People overrate the value of draft picks sometimes. Usually by the 3rd things are getting really iffy.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We are not married to Vesey but we should not be throwing him or Fast away so quickly for so cheap.

Namest only has value to TB at half due to track record with Stamkos.
reduced Namest expiring + TB 2019 2nd for TB 2020 1st, will even protect up to 20 slots, just get that done.

Other vets, move
certain youth, repurpose, eliminate logjams

Staal -- who is now cheap to buy out as is --- to Leafs at half
for
Marleau at full pop

Marc waives 'cause we have to pay him but not nec play him and there are now too many guys ahead of him. He also is building up goodwill with us for post career by making this favor.

Marleau waives, he plays on 2nd line w/Kreider + Nieves = a speed line.
He wants out, we flip him to contender at TDL.

Leafs get immediate cap relief, and if they eat half on Staal at a meager 2.85, he then becomes a paltry 1.425 to a third team.
plus he is an experienced vet def who can be 3rd pair 7th guy until moved/bought out

those 2 deals,
sign Panarin
take back Hayes at the right # for only $

a couple more deals and we're rollin....

Callahan only has value to NY due to being a former captain. Callahan at 50% on his expiring + 2020 2nd for Winnipeg 1st?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I would be all over this.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Fast should be dealt, he will garner many teams interest, His skills on both sides of the puck are very good and any team would be happy to have him.

Namestikov will likely be traded something like the strome trade. or for picks

Id like to keep strome around just for the sake of his rhs.

Kreider should and should not go for two reasons 1. hes a fan favorite and a great player but at the same time hes going to be a ufa and this is the best time to deal him.

Anyone can have vesey for free

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
we are approaching end times
general concurrence

except we can still do Panarin here
and
the overlook is I don't expect us to extend Marleau, and our options may be limited as to giving him a significant say, but we can be off the hook for Staal at half and actually use/get something for Marleau as rental this season.

Fact that it fits the synergy narrative is a bonus.

Are we moving Buch ++ for 8OA?
This is the kind of stopgap move for a W we should do.

I see Buch as a guy who needs to stay. He'll score 25 to 35 at some point. I mean he is young, he is more skilled than a bunch of guys who should be moved first....that should have some sort of value.......... Vesey, Names, Strome, Fast, not Nieves.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I can see how esp early on, given the skating, there was inclination to go there w/Skjei as a McD lite.

My point is, I don't want to take crazy less and I'm not looking for overpay.
We obv have the LDs, move Skjei as soon as a good partner for him gives us a good offer.

Remember while Rykov does not need to be protected, I believe both Lindgren and Hajek will require exp draft protection. Thankfully Fox does not, but still, that's 2 of 3 slots.

don't take a bad deal now or at anytime, but if the getting is good, get it done now.
  • played in 40 or more NHL games last season, OR
  • played in 70 or more NHL games in the last two seasons
So they could still be protected depending on games played.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

The better of the 2nds for Cally and Tampa's 1st seems pretty fair. Ppl. here have said the value of a late first is 2 2nd's.......I think 2 seconds for Cally and the Tampa first is too much of a give by NY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad