Value of: Make a Trade with San Jose

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I get your concern about Simek stepping as the top 4 in his 2nd season and coming off an injury but highly doubt DW goes for a top 4 LD given our situation. I'd be happy w/ a Chiarot or Nemith at the 3rd LD if Dillon is traded.

DW reportedly had interest in Alex Edler if Karlsson walked which says he would be looking at top-4 LD. I guess we’ll just wait and see.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Oh, hmm.. Confused by the quote.

Meier is definitely a question for the Sharks, though.
Meier and Labanc will most definitely be signed the only question is how much. It'll definitely be bridge deals, that's the only thing that makes sense for our cap structure and that is the Sharks history. Look at Couture and Hertl as examples. Both players will come cheaper than people who don't follow the Sharks will think. DW has a way of selling our RFAs on team friendly bridge deals.

The big question is Pavs. Option 1, trade some combination of Braun/Dillon/Melker/Dells and get him signed. Option 2, let him walk. I prefer option 1, sign him. I think he'll take slightly less for slightly more years than some Sharks fans would like. I think DW is banking on the next 3ish years are our big shot at a Cup and then after that "f*** it" we'll figure that out when we come to it.

In all honesty I want the chaff gone anyway. We can go cheaper than Braun/Dillon/Melker/Dell and probably be better for it. We have prospects who will probably make the team and fill rolls. Donskoi is probably gone, ditto Nyquist. Find cheaper alternatives wherever you can and hope one of the prospects steps up to fill at least a top 9 role.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Oh, hmm.. Confused by the quote.

Meier is definitely a question for the Sharks, though.
Confused as well. I said I would do an offer sheet of 8 million by 5 years for Timo to NJ. That would put the sharks in a tough spot no?

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Meier and Labanc will most definitely be signed the only question is how much. It'll definitely be bridge deals, that's the only thing that makes sense for our cap structure and that is the Sharks history. Look at Couture and Hertl as examples. Both players will come cheaper than people who don't follow the Sharks will think. DW has a way of selling our RFAs on team friendly bridge deals.

The big question is Pavs. Option 1, trade some combination of Braun/Dillon/Melker/Dells and get him signed. Option 2, let him walk. I prefer option 1, sign him. I think he'll take slightly less for slightly more years than some Sharks fans would like. I think DW is banking on the next 3ish years are our big shot at a Cup and then after that "**** it" we'll figure that out when we come to it.

In all honesty I want the chaff gone anyway. We can go cheaper than Braun/Dillon/Melker/Dell and probably be better for it. We have prospects who will probably make the team and fill rolls. Donskoi is probably gone, ditto Nyquist. Find cheaper alternatives wherever you can and hope one of the prospects steps up to fill at least a top 9 role.

As of right now, the Sharks have 12.5M to work out 5 forward spots, two of which you have to assume are Meier and Labanc.

That said, based on the contracts that have been thrown around and the contracts we expect to see thrown around...Meier and Labanc could each get 5m+ and have that feel reasonable. Labanc had 56 points last year, Meier had 66. Meier could get upward of 6 and it'd feel reasonable.

I don't know how the Sharks find a way to keep them both under contract and ice a team with anything resembling depth.

Reactions: Dicdonya

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
As of right now, the Sharks have 12.5M to work out 5 forward spots, two of which you have to assume are Meier and Labanc.

That said, based on the contracts that have been thrown around and the contracts we expect to see thrown around...Meier and Labanc could each get 5m+ and have that feel reasonable. Labanc had 56 points last year, Meier had 66. Meier could get upward of 6 and it'd feel reasonable.

I don't know how the Sharks find a way to keep them both under contract and ice a team with anything resembling depth.

Labanc is not getting anywhere remotely near $5M. He probably takes $3M over 2 years.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Braun + ??? for one of Johnsson/Kapanen if Marner signs for 10.5ish and we're able to move Zaitsev.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

Meier and Labanc won't get 5m, closer to 3-3.5m, maybe 4m. This is the way the Sharks have always worked. Couture is a prime example, he was a 30/30 player when he signed a 2 year bridge deal for 2.875m, adjust that for rising cap and sign Meier to the same percentage. Braun and or Dillon are most likely gone, that's Pavs's new contract right there. DW will probably trade Melker too and possibly Dell, we have cheaper internal options.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Sharks’ biggest needs at this time are a top-4 LHD (bonafide 2nd pair is fine) and a proven top line winger. (Can be LW or RW) They could probably use a long term 3C going forward.

Their cap situation is a bit weird, but they could potentially have a lot of space if they let some players walk and trade some players as well.
Kessel for Labanc + 2nd?

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Labanc is not getting anywhere remotely near $5M. He probably takes $3M over 2 years.

Why? The dude has 100 points over the last two seasons and went up like 20 points from last season. He's not signing for 3m. He may never have a better opportunity to cash in than he does right now.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I get your concern about Simek stepping as the top 4 in his 2nd season and coming off an injury but highly doubt DW goes for a top 4 LD given our situation. I'd be happy w/ a Chiarot or Nemith at the 3rd LD if Dillon is traded.

Re: winger for the top line, I agree there's a hole to be filled but it may be semantics, we can't afford to pay a "top line winger". We need someone who can play on the top line. The difference will be in the AAV.
I'd like to see the Sharks aquire Chairot. Would fill a real need

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I love Leafs fans.

"Here's cap relief"
"Yeah, but can we get your top prospect too?"

What? You're getting the cap relief, neither of the wingers are getting more than Braun. You get relief and a need filled. We just get a need filled.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Braun isnt that good. anymore. Would fully depend on the +.... Merkley?

I read this post and just kind of assumed it was about Kadri or Nylander. f***in lol at SJ adding Merkley to Braun for one of Kap/Johnsson. They wouldn't do Merkley straight up for those guys and there is no chance that SJ adds to Braun in exchange for Kapanen or Johnsson.

Braun is limited, but he is still a solid #4 guy and would help Toronto.

Why? The dude has 100 points over the last two seasons and went up like 20 points from last season. He's not signing for 3m. He may never have a better opportunity to cash in than he does right now.

Because points aren't everything about a player and they're a stat that is especially flattering to Labanc who gets first unit PP time with the likes of Burns/Couture/Karlsson and whose even strength deployment is heavily offensive. He's also not very good defensively.

Again, look at what Sharks players in the past have signed for. Couture off his ELC took 4.47% CH over 2 years. Hertl off his ELC took 4.11% CH over 2 years. Labanc is not as good as either of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad