Major Hockey League (3 on 3 league) Postponed Until 2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I forgot about this, but...

It's what people want. No hitting, no fighting, but the skill is on display... the skill to circle back, or cycle down low until you're tired, change and do it again.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I forgot about this, but...

It's what people want. No hitting, no fighting, but the skill is on display... the skill to circle back, or cycle down low until you're tired, change and do it again.

Was looking forward to seeing Josh Ho Sang as the league MVP

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd really like to know the reasoning behind this statement.

Hockey is absolutely thriving right now, by all metrics imaginable.
The NHL is the 5th most popular league in the US.

The lowest revenue-generating teams in the NFL, MLB, NBA, and Premier League would all lead the NHL or close to it.

As we found out during covid, the NHL is sent into a tailspin without their gates and those other leagues simply aren't. The tv money isn't there like it is for the other sports. The mainsteam appeal isn't there to make it so.

Out of all those other sports (not counting soccer which has insane popularity and an entirely different structure), only football has attempted secondary men's leagues in the United States outside of the NFL, and they fold like paper.

I'd like to know the reasoning on why you think hockey can pull it off if football can't.

Hockey is doing fine as it is but there isn't a market for more of it.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021

The lowest revenue-generating teams in the NFL, MLB, NBA, and Premier League would all lead the NHL or close to it.

As we found out during covid, the NHL is sent into a tailspin without their gates and those other leagues simply aren't. The tv money isn't there like it is for the other sports. The mainsteam appeal isn't there to make it so.

Out of all those other sports (not counting soccer which has insane popularity and an entirely different structure), only football has attempted secondary men's leagues in the United States outside of the NFL, and they fold like paper.

I'd like to know the reasoning on why you think hockey can pull it off if football can't.

I don’t think you can consider 3v3 hockey to be a secondary league to the NHL. It’s a different form of the sport and they aren’t competing for the same players. Closer comparison would be Arena Football, which was in fact viable for a long time.

Doesn’t really matter either way, because this is not a serious attempt to start a hockey league. It’s a scam in the same vein as all the other scams this guy has tried to pull off.

Reactions: wetcoast

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
At this point I’m confused what the scam even is?

Did someone actually give them money?

G league?

I don’t know why hockey fans care about this TBH.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
At this point I’m confused what the scam even is?

Did someone actually give them money?

Not sure if scam would be the best way to describe it, more like Fyre Festival if they hadn't sold any tickets. Not sure if MLH got any significant investors or if they pulled their salary cap figure out of thin air.

The original announcement did get a few veteran (non-NHL) players interested enough to kick the tires. Ie, they had to decide whether to take a contract in Europe or take a chance on a new league where they could play closer to home plus get a pay raise. But from the sounds of it, players realized quickly that the proposed league had a shaky foundation.

A few agents naturally liked the idea of a competing league if only to have another entity to drive up negotiations. I was reminded of NHLers like Curtis Joseph and Nikolai Khabibulin moonlighting in the IHL back in the day.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
In other news, my 2v20 league has also been delayed. I know that I said it was a professional league and was serious.

In other news, my 2v20 league has also been delayed. I know that I said it was a professional league and was serious.
Can’t wait to get my 2v20 professional league going. Since I say it is professional, it is.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If this was at a smaller local arena on some random weekend with affordable tickets I would 100% go.

I love hockey and will spend the money to go to an NHL game a couple times a year between tickets and travel. But I'm also not too pretentious to enjoy something "hockey like" that could be fun while spending the extra saved money on beer because its not "muh sport."
Support your local junior hockey team instead.

I'd really like to know the reasoning behind this statement.

Hockey is absolutely thriving right now, by all metrics imaginable.
Isn't it behind soccer in USA? That's awful, no one in USA cares about soccer.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
8912fa56dc249ccc8e2910c88fec7e87.gif

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
I actually think it will be exciting. Hopefully they do it right and not some rinky dink bs.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

They fold like paper partially because the leagues they are going against are so strong. Between NFL and NCAA it's a tough market to get into.

Whereas according to these boards the NHL is ran like dog shit and so many people think a league could be ran better.

Now personally I don't really think a 3 on 3 league will ever become so mainstream that it would compete with the NHL anyway, but I could see where there could be some sort of appetite for it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad