MacKinnon vs. McDavid

Which player is better right now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Nuge is the only Oiler regular with more EV goals against /60 than McDavid.

Goaltending doesn’t equal defense. The only forwards on the team who have played 500 5v5 min with better xGA/60 are Ryan, Janmark and McLeod. And out of 161 forwards who’ve played at least 800 5v5 minutes, he’s 33rd in xGA/60. He’s not Bergeron, but he’s limiting chances and controlling possession better than he ever has

Reactions: DitchMarner

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
That surprised me because McDavid’s defensive numbers in terms of xGAR and GAR and RAPM on evolving hockey were really strong last time I looked a few weeks ago, but just checking and they’ve gone down quite a bit. Just looked at his past 10 games and there’s nothing that suggests there should be a big drop.

This was from a month agoView attachment 837851

View attachment 837852

And this is from today

View attachment 837853

View attachment 837854

Weird that it would change that fast.

Jfresh's model pretty much agree with this.

F-_ognZXgAAuOCd.jpg

jfreshmackinnon.JPG

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
The gap is pretty close this year, and Mack is having an insane season. PPG is basically equal though, so I can’t put Mack ahead at the moment. McD can be slightly better, doesn’t change what Mack is doing

Reactions: crowfish

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
It still has to be McDavid, but as posted above ever since 2023 it’s been really close for a while.

Jfresh's model pretty much agree with this.

View attachment 837864
View attachment 837865
You always have to take these with a grain of salt, because all these models pretty much have different results depending on who’s making them and don’t really show the full picture.

Not saying it doesn’t have any truth to it, but not a single avs fan would say Mackinnon from 20-21 was better defensively than Mack right now (especially during the cup year)

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
You always have to take these with a grain of salt, because all these models pretty much have different results depending on who’s making them and don’t really show the full picture.

Not saying it doesn’t have any truth to it, but not a single avs fan would say Mackinnon from 20-21 was better defensively than Mack right now (especially during the cup year)

Absolutely agree about the cards.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
It still has to be McDavid, but as posted above ever since 2023 it’s been really close for a while.

Probably because he doesn't have this guy stapled to his line anymore
1710788451693.png

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Ah, the old "I can't tell the difference between the best player and the one having the best season"-routine.

There is no current challenger to McDavid in the league, regardless of how good a season MacKinnon is having. I want MacKinnon to sweep the awards but that's because I'm a big fan of him as a player and would finally like to see him recognized with some hardware, but McDavid is on an island.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Funny thing is that when McDavid scored the most, he was knocked for not caring about defense. Now that he started caring and his defensive numbers are actually really good, he's still only lowered his production to MacKinnon's career season rate.

Since the injury he played through at the beginning of the season his points per game is actually higher than it was last season and he’s scoring more at even strength. At the same time I don’t think he’s doing a whole lot more defensively this year but rather the team around him has become a legitimate elite team all around.

That surprised me because McDavid’s defensive numbers in terms of xGAR and GAR and RAPM on evolving hockey were really strong last time I looked a few weeks ago, but just checking and they’ve gone down quite a bit. Just looked at his past 10 games and there’s nothing that suggests there should be a big drop.

This was from a month agoView attachment 837851

View attachment 837852

And this is from today

View attachment 837853

View attachment 837854

Weird that it would change that fast.

Perhaps he really cares about the scoring race?

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
On the flip side of things MacGinnon always got extra credit for "dogging" it during the regular season then turning it up during the playoffs.

Last season he gave a full effort during the regular season and was pathetic against Seattle and lost the fourth game seven of his career.

We know one of these guys can dominate in a regular season AND a playoff run. And it ain't Nathan Raymond.
Yo I thought the Brewers traded away RyJo... can't believe they kept MacGinnon over that stud

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad