MacKinnon and Rantanen or Matthews and Marner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which duo?

• Total voters

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Mackinnon > Matthews > Marner > Rantanen

based off this year alone Matthews/Marner have been better but overall Mackinnon is the best player here.

2020-21:

Mackinnon/Rantanen: 54 GP, 26 G, 40 A, 66 P (1.22 PPG)

Matthews/Marner 59 GP, 33G, 43A, 76 P (1.28 PPG)

so i think its fair to say Matthews and Marner are the better duo, at least this year. But Mack is the best player here.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
If you're taking cap into account it will lean towards the aves duo but as players they are very close.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Mackinnon>Matthews
Marner=Rantanen

This year I can see the argument that maybe Marner has an edge on Rantanen but even if thats true its not enough to swing this in the leafs duo direction

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Interesting comparison as these two teams play completely different styles.

The Avs are pedal to the metal North/South whenever they get the chance, the Leafs are more methodical with their approach. Both effective, just completely different team systems.

I’m not sure I could confidently pick either duo. Super close.

Maybe Avs, because of MacKinnon’s ability to drive play. Honestly though, the Leafs duo would probably be boosted playing in front of the Avs defence.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Mack>Matthews
Rantanen and Marner is a coin flip.
So you have to take the Avalanche duo here. The superior playoff performance of the Mack/Rantanen duo plus the lower cap hit tilts it even more heavily in their favour imo.

Reactions: Habano

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

Sound argument.

No, Matthews is a WAY better goal scorer. That's just a fact. Look at the goals scored in the years played and it's a clear win for AM.

And look at their defensive games. Matthews wins there easily. I'm not an adv. stats Nerd, so I'll let someone else post those, if they like. But it's pretty obvious that Matthews has a clear edge there too.

So McKinnon, who is a great player, is better at getting assists. And Matthews excels in the other two areas. So I'm not convinced that McKinnon is "better".

Are there any OTHER areas McKinnon wins at? If you claim he is "better", how about backing that statement up a little?

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Sound argument.

No, Matthews is a WAY better goal scorer. That's just a fact. Look at the goals scored in the years played and it's a clear win for AM.

And look at their defensive games. Matthews wins there easily. I'm not an adv. stats Nerd, so I'll let someone else post those, if they like. But it's pretty obvious that Matthews has a clear edge there too.

So McKinnon, who is a great player, is better at getting assists. And Matthews excels in the other two areas. So I'm not convinced that McKinnon is "better".

Are there any OTHER areas McKinnon wins at? If you claim he is "better", how about backing that statement up a little?
Mackinnon has pretty crazy advanced stats this year, he actually leads all forwards in CF% and has great SCA metrics. Across the board he’s having a very impressive season from an advanced stats perspective. The Avs have been the best shot suppression team in the league though so his defensive numbers are no doubt being propped up by playing in front of that defence.

Mackinnons real claim to fame is his playoff performances. Rantanen gets credit for his high playoff ppg but honestly he has benefited from playing with Mack who is consistently a machine in the playoffs (not that Rantanen has been bad he just hasn’t been as good as his numbers suggest).

If you haven’t watched a whole series of playoff Mackinnon you’re missing out, even at 18 against Minnesota he was lights out, he’s this generations Briere, a guy that always seems to bring it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad