Rumor: Mackenzie Weegar available?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Florida would be brain-dead to do that unless Kerfoot is some sort of sweetener. Weegar is their #2 defenseman and his play and stock has skyrocketed this past season.

This entire rumor seems ridiculous. Weegar's a great defenseman and one of only two Florida could really rely on last year. Would be absurd for the Cats to deal him unless there are massive defensive reinforcements coming from elsewhere.

I knew Weegar was going to get criminally underrated in this thread and it's already begun.

I don't think logic is going to apply this off-season. Teams have budgets and if you want to keep your job as a GM, you'll listen to the owner.

I don't think it would be a 1 for 1 deal but I do think Kefoot would be in it.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Florida would be brain-dead to do that unless Kerfoot is some sort of sweetener. Weegar is their #2 defenseman and his play and stock has skyrocketed this past season.

This entire rumor seems ridiculous. Weegar's a great defenseman and one of only two Florida could really rely on last year. Would be absurd for the Cats to deal him unless there are massive defensive reinforcements coming from elsewhere.

I knew Weegar was going to get criminally underrated in this thread and it's already begun.

Okay, so what would an appropriate return look like to you?

Reactions: Rob Brown

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

No one is underrating him, we all like Weegar. Real good player, likely signs back with Florida. 1 person mentioning Kerfoot as a part of the trade does not mean we all underrate Weegar.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Really a 2D right handed shot that you can lock up for 5 years? What do you think Sandin is going to be at best? Or what do you think Robertson is going to be? He is looking like a 60 point winger. Neither of those is worth a top pairing RHD?

Apparently he plays the left side (news to me, always though he played RD).

As for Sandin and Robertson, they are really good young talents with years of control, which is what we need. If you deal them, it's gotta be for someone with control and you know if locked in with term.

Florida shoud honestly just keep him, which most of this thread agrees with.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
This would be a real nice fit for a lot of clubs. If the only cost is picks, I'd expect a spirited bidding war for his services. The Caps are one (of many) teams seeking to add a defenseman this summer.

As a RFA with arbitration rights, this is another one of those players this offseason whose numbers and competition around the league vault him into a salary tier that his current club is uncomfortable with, staring at an arbitration award determined by a separate party.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So it’s your opinion Toronto won’t be landing Weegar today?

Would you trade a good top 4 RD that FLA needs more of to a team that also needs one in the same division?

Friedman is doing his job and riling up TOR fans. Id say if Weegar was move which should be low probability, TOR would one of the teams that is highly unlikely.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
No thanks. We may be interested in him but not for Weegar.

Ya only one season of top pairing so far and had some injury issues the past couple years.
I love Weegs a ton but 5mil is an overpay, maybe he gets close to that but it'd be on a 2 year deal imo.
Allows him to bank on himself going to free agency when the cap may start going up again.

3-4 years will drop the AAV imo.

I think him and Mason are a pretty good comparison. Mason signed his current deal at the same age and he was not playing on the top pairing yet. He goes into arbitration and he can easily argue his floor is 4.1 million.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Apparently he plays the left side (news to me, always though he played RD).

As for Sandin and Robertson, they are really good young talents with years of control, which is what we need. If you deal them, it's gotta be for someone with control and you know if locked in with term.

Florida shoud honestly just keep him, which most of this thread agrees with.

Yes they are and he is someone you can control for the next 7 years if you want with a deal. He is an RFA with arbitration rights. I did not put their names out there lightly but if you want a top 2 dman that you can control and set the price. Well you are not getting him for AJ,Kerfoot or a bag of magic beans.
I believe he has played the Right side for most of his career but is on the left due to need in Florida. they had 2 right handed dmen playing forward at one point last year because they had so many of them.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Dermott + 2nd? Florida can get a young LHD who will sign for 1.5ish

Maybe interested in Engvall? I assume Florida is just trying to cut salary at all costs

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Kerfoot has a $1.95 mil signing bonus due next Summer. Ditto 2022 (Link).

If you’re using “they’re poor” as a justification, keep that in mind.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Dermott + 2nd? Florida can get a young LHD who will sign for 1.5ish

Maybe interested in Engvall? I assume Florida is just trying to cut salary at all costs

We already cut costs. Our owner isn't hurting in net worth and does well in finance.

Dermott and a pick make any sense? Not sure what your needs are for a left shot defensemen.

Very easy no.
Why move him to create another hole?
I've seen enough of dermott and don't want to downgrade on an already bad defense for an added pick

Reactions: Thomas Colavecchio

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Very easy no.
I've seen enough of dermott and don't want to downgrade on an already bad defense for an added pick
That is fair. Though I am not sure there will be a right shot D for right shot D trade as a basis of a trade making sense in many places around the league. I am assuming you just don't want to move Weegar at all?(I wouldn't either).

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
It's funny they talk about Weegar being exactly what the Leafs need. And the Panthers need him just as much. It would be like if the Leafs had him, and rumors would say he could be gone and is exactly what the Panthers need.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
We already cut costs. Our owner isn't hurting in net worth and does well in finance.

Very easy no.

I agree with the no being easy for Fla...the concern to me would only be injury...had concussion issues during this past season.

Also, for what was mentioned earlier he has played primarily on his off side, as a right shot left D, opposite Ek on the top paring. It seemed to be one of the only things that worked well with the Fla D...and they missed him when he was out with injury.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I agree with the no being easy for Fla...the concern to me would only be injury...had concussion issues during this past season.

Also, for what was mentioned earlier he has played primarily on his off side, as a right shot left D, opposite Ek on the top paring. It seemed to be one of the only things that worked well with the Fla D...and they missed him when he was out with injury.

3 years is ideal if theyre worried about his health.
If there isn't a concern, 4 years is as long as we should go.
He won't want to lock in too long either to allow himself a chance at another 3-4 deal when hes 30 years old

Reactions: violaswallet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad