LW Reid Schaefer - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2022, 32nd, EDM; traded to NSH)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Interesting case, some rank him late 1st round, some rank him 3rd or 4th round

32 goals in 66 regular season games with 58 points, was +29 and had almost 100 penalty minutes.

So far about 20 points (18) in the play-offs, 6 goals.

Is +10 with 20 penalty minutes

Big kid, 6 foot 3 and weighs around 220.

JohnJim

Mar 19, 2022
Interesting case, some rank him late 1st round, some rank him 3rd or 4th round

32 goals in 66 regular season games with 58 points, was +29 and had almost 100 penalty minutes.

So far about 20 points (18) in the play-offs, 6 goals.

Is +10 with 20 penalty minutes

Big kid, 6 foot 3 and weighs around 220.
Ceiling is probably a second/third line power forward. He has a great shot and is very big and strong. Skating isn't good but it can be improved.

He was almost eligible for the 21 draft and had very poor production last season with just two assists in 18 games. He can just bully these 16-20 year olds with his size and strength, so there are some questions on how well his game can translate into NHL level. But still, he can shoot it and isn't a dumb player. If he doesn't make it as a goal scoring power forward, he could work in bottom 6. If his skating doesn't improve, he can probably have a nice career in AHL, ECHL or Europe.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
This kid looks like a potential draft steal. I'm hoping he falls to Detroit in the 3rd round.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
he looks like a 2nd rounder all day long. mature game, maybe some untapped upside too.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
he looks like a 2nd rounder all day long. mature game, maybe some untapped upside too.
I think he’s right up Arizona’s alley. They have three 1sts and four 2nds. So they can afford to take a swing.

Also, they paid a premium price to get bigger, older prospects in Jack McBain and Nathan Smith recently (a 2nd for McBain and taking on a dump in Little that’s worth at least a 2nd). I think they’re attempting to make up for the complete lack of prospects the previous regime left them with by adding some older prospects, along with all the draft picks.

Additionally, they used two of their three 2nds last draft on re-entry/overagers in Josh Doan and JJ Moser who were on their 2nd and 3rd years of eligibility respectively.

The Coyotes are making up for lost time and the disaster that was the John Chayka era. I think Reid Schaefer is a great fit for what they’re trying to do.

They have FOUR of the first TWELVE picks in the 2md round. Don’t be surprised if Schaefer is one of them.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Power forward prospect Reid Schaefer had a breakout season with the Seattle Thunderbirds. He climbed draft boards all season long thanks to his improved offensive game. Schaefer scored 32 goals and 26 assists for 58 points in 66 games this year. He was also a force in the WHL playoffs. Schaefer scored five goals and 16 assists for 21 points in 25 games. He helped the Thunderbirds reach the WHL Final. Unfortunately, Seattle ran into a stacked Edmonton Oil Kings team and lost the series in six games. However, Schaefer was impressive when it counted and his performance impressed many scouts and analysts.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Looked good in the Rookie Camp. Was definitely a standout. Holloway and Bourgault didn’t skate, so more eyes were on guys like him, Savoie, and Petrov.

Schaefer some nice hands for a big man and he’s very competitive defensively. Lethal release on his shot.

Signed his ELC after Rookie Camp. Lots of focus on his skating over the next couple seasons will be big for him. Rare combination in today’s NHL of size, skill, and physicality that every team looks for.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Makes me wonder about this Connor roulette fella that is on Schaeffers team. Only 4 months older and beat Schaeffer in points but Schaeffer went in the 1st round.

Anyone watch any Seattle games? How do the two compare?

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Makes me wonder about this Connor roulette fella that is on Schaeffers team. Only 4 months older and beat Schaeffer in points but Schaeffer went in the 1st round.

Anyone watch any Seattle games? How do the two compare?
Schaeffer is a good. But it was a bit of a shock that he went in the 1st round. Seattle have too many talents, players, except Davidson, are close in scoring. Schaeffer has speed, could make opportunity, if he can get proper development, he will be fine.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Schaeffer is a good. But it was a bit of a shock that he went in the 1st round. Seattle have too many talents, players, except Davidson, are close in scoring. Schaeffer has speed, could make opportunity, if he can get proper development, he will be fine.

What do you think about Connor roulette?

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
What do you think about Connor roulette?
He is solid. I've watched some Seattle's games on CHL TV, not a lot, but he's not my most impressive player.
Many CHL players in last year's draft were affected by a shortened season due to the covid.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Seems like Mitch Moroz 2.0 lmao for the oiler faithful

Mitch Moroz draft season-
66gp16g9a25p
Draft+1
69gp13g21a34p

Schaeffer-
66gp32g26a58p

Seems like you have no idea what you are talking about lmao. Keep up the good work.

I didnt love the pick at the time, but it is easy to see why this player was highly touted by Oilers scouts. Oilers forward prospects are very deep, he will be given every opportunity to develop properly, but with his unique skillset I could see him make the roster quicker then most anticipate. Hardworking+skilled+shot+size+defensive IQ+physical.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Mitch Moroz draft season-
66gp16g9a25p
Draft+1
69gp13g21a34p

Schaeffer-
66gp32g26a58p

Seems like you have no idea what you are talking about lmao. Keep up the good work.

I didnt love the pick at the time, but it is easy to see why this player was highly touted by Oilers scouts. Oilers forward prospects are very deep, he will be given every opportunity to develop properly, but with his unique skillset I could see him make the roster quicker then most anticipate. Hardworking+skilled+shot+size+defensive IQ+physical.
Was just a joke relax man. They feel similiar when u watch them, obviously statistically speaking it’s not even close, there was potential Schaefer would go in the 1st.

Reactions: Dempsey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad