LW Reid Schaefer - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2022, 32nd, EDM; traded to NSH)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Traded to Nashville. But where’s the production? Just 47 pts in 44 games for a 19 year old forward.
He's a big power forward... Seattle TBirds lineup is absurdly good and they roll all lines... The scoring is spread throughout all the guys.

Don't judge his point totals this season cause just check out their team and the studs they have.. every game it seems the scoring is spread evenly

He's on the top line with Brad Lambert and Dylan Guenther and they are a dynamic line that is tearing it up

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Guy is likely to become the next big dominant power forward in the league. Oilers might regret moving him
He has a lot of potential, buuut i've always found him to be a little (sometimes a lot) underwhelming. He's not even 'the' big dominant power forward in the dub, why would he become that at the next level? As a Canuck fan i would've been happier to see the Oil move Holloway. I see the next Taylor Pyatt, not the next Cam Neely. That's a big nhl forward but not dominant and not much power other than the big part.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Guy is likely to become the next big dominant power forward in the league. Oilers might regret moving him
After the trade happened, Ryan Rishaug on TSN was saying that other than Holloway, Schaefer was the guy that other GMs were demanding in a trade

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
He has a lot of potential, buuut i've always found him to be a little (sometimes a lot) underwhelming. He's not even 'the' big dominant power forward in the dub, why would he become that at the next level? As a Canuck fan i would've been happier to see the Oil move Holloway. I see the next Taylor Pyatt, not the next Cam Neely. That's a big nhl forward but not dominant and not much power other than the big part.

Pyatt's a scary good comp actually. I have not liked Schaefer since he was drafted- check my post history, I roasted Holland for the pick when it happened- and am bewildered but not surprised old-school GMs still love guys like him despite the overwhelming move away from size to skill.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Pyatt's a scary good comp actually. I have not liked Schaefer since he was drafted- check my post history, I roasted Holland for the pick when it happened- and am bewildered but not surprised old-school GMs still love guys like him despite the overwhelming move away from size to skill.
Pyatt still played a lot of years and had some decent seasons, though. I wouldn't mind if that's what my Preds get? Austin Watson was ok for us too. I'm more scared of something like a Colton Gillies result. :dunno:

Reactions: Zubrus Coffee Maker

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He started the year on fire, surprisingly made team canada but has done very little since the worlds.

He's got an excellent shot, even on a stacked Seattle team he should not be disappearing the way he did,

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He started the year on fire, surprisingly made team canada but has done very little since the worlds.

He's got an excellent shot, even on a stacked Seattle team he should not be disappearing the way he did,
I feel that is 100% untrue. He's been extremely effective since then.. especially lately and since the line #1 line of Schaefer Lambert and Guenther has been put together.

Since WJC he has 20 points in 22 games with 76sog and 37pims

I feel he has completely upped his game since WJC

Reactions: Soundgarden

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I feel that is 100% untrue. He's been extremely effective since then.. especially lately and since the line #1 line of Schaefer Lambert and Guenther has been put together.

Since WJC he has 20 points in 22 games with 76sog and 37pims

I feel he has completely upped his game since WJC
20 points in 22 games and very few goals is not that great for an offensive player in junior as a 19 year old.

He had 13 goals in his 1st ten games, 10 in his last 34.

He is a good player with promise no doubt but he is hardly lightning it on fire.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Seems like a decent enough kid but I wasnt sold on him being worth the 1st rounder Edmonton used on him. Hope he does well but he will need to improve his game a lot if he wants to be an NHLer. Hes big and can shoot and thats pretty much it at this point.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
20 points in 22 games and very few goals is not that great for an offensive player in junior as a 19 year old.

He had 13 goals in his 1st ten games, 10 in his last 34.

He is a good player with promise no doubt but he is hardly lightning it on fire.
But he isn't known to be a strictly high offensive guy. He's a PPG type that is a big body and throws his weight around. He's a perfect type to create space for skilled linemates

We will see though... With these types you never know if they turn into anything... Could become a stud but could end up being forgotten about

I like what he has become but we will see what he does at the next level

Reactions: cool beans

cool beans

I didn't know
Jul 8, 2022
But he isn't known to be a strictly high offensive guy. He's a PPG type that is a big body and throws his weight around. He's a perfect type to create space for skilled linemates

We will see though... With these types you never know if they turn into anything... Could become a stud but could end up being forgotten about

I like what he has become but we will see what he does at the next level
So an average prospect lol. I’m excited either way

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Traded to Nashville. But where’s the production? Just 47 pts in 44 games for a 19 year old forward.
Now struggling to produce in the AHL… didn’t see the first round upside on draft day and still don’t. Lots of better options in the WHL. Seems like many nhl scouts seem to really struggle scouting the WHL outside of the absolute guaranteed hits….

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Late birthday CHLer who produced very little in his 17 year old season and below PPG in his 18 year old season. Was always a reach, had no idea why the Oilers drafted him ahead of Casey, Hutson, Firkus, Goyette, Chesley. I know the Oilers don't like taking NCAA route US players, but there were more talented CHLers on the board.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Now struggling to produce in the AHL… didn’t see the first round upside on draft day and still don’t. Lots of better options in the WHL. Seems like many nhl scouts seem to really struggle scouting the WHL outside of the absolute guaranteed hits….
I've read that Dub guys, even higher producing ones, generally underwhelm relative to expectation in the NHL whereas O guys tend to perform at expected and Q guys obviously aren't great for the most part.

Reactions: Antiillafire

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I never saw the upside either. Slow footed and slow thinking players very rarely translate to the pro game. Dude was constantly killing plays in Seattle, despite playing on one of the most talented junior teams in history.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Would be surprised if he becomes an impact NHLer. Although, maybe he just sticks on a 4th line, specifically in Nashville, since they do well with energy types. I know Predators fans are happy getting the 1st that became Molendyk in that trade but Schaefer being a big part of the Ekholm return is underwhelming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad