LW Hunter Shinkaruk (2013, 24th, VAN; 2016 traded, CGY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Hard to find a comparison...would an slightly more offensively leaning Mike Richards be a decent one? A winger version of course.

Doesn't have nearly the same two-way ability, especially in junior (Richards was an absolute beast in Kitchener). Kessel I also am not a huge fan of due to Phil's one-on-one abilities which Shinkaruk lacks. I almost think of Kris Versteeg with more offense; maybe Kris Versteeg meets Patrick Marleau?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Doesn't have nearly the same two-way ability, especially in junior (Richards was an absolute beast in Kitchener). Kessel I also am not a huge fan of due to Phil's one-on-one abilities which Shinkaruk lacks. I almost think of Kris Versteeg with more offense; maybe Kris Versteeg meets Patrick Marleau?

Excellent point. That's why I like a hint of Schremp to any comparison since he has a ton of razzle dazzle, but nothing really comes from it during games

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Excellent point. That's why I like a hint of Schremp to any comparison since he has a ton of razzle dazzle, but nothing really comes from it during games

Schremp was REALLY good one-on-one in junior. Like, better than Patrick Kane or John Tavares (I watched all three when they were with the Knights). It was just that he relied solely on his hands to generate offense, and when the defensive intensity improved, he was shutdown completely.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Schremp was REALLY good one-on-one in junior. Like, better than Patrick Kane or John Tavares (I watched all three when they were with the Knights). It was just that he relied solely on his hands to generate offense, and when the defensive intensity improved, he was shutdown completely.

Ya I should have specified NHL Schremp. I never got watched him when he was in junior

Tsundere

Oct 22, 2009
Montreal
Hey, can anyone update me on Hunter? It's been a while since I've watched any of his games side-tracked with work and other personal business. He seems to have fell off quite a bit in terms of ranking and production; any thoughts as to why? I really like this kid and things just don't seem to be swinging his way nowadays~

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Hey, can anyone update me on Hunter? It's been a while since I've watched any of his games side-tracked with work and other personal business. He seems to have fell off quite a bit in terms of ranking and production; any thoughts as to why? I really like this kid and things just don't seem to be swinging his way nowadays~

He isnt struggling just playing on a worse team than last year.

Very good prospect. Explosive and offensively talented. A bit of a reckless player that isn't afraid to get dirty. Reminds me of Taylor Hall a bit in that sense.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!

Injuries have been alot of the reason for abit of production loss.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
He couldn't get to the prospects game and was replaced on the roster.

Anyways, I think his stock has been static. Maybe his stats are a bit underwhelming but he does play on a poor team and he did have a very good Under-20 camp showing.

Tsundere

Oct 22, 2009
Montreal
He isnt struggling just playing on a worse team than last year.

Very good prospect. Explosive and offensively talented. A bit of a reckless player that isn't afraid to get dirty. Reminds me of Taylor Hall a bit in that sense.

Nice to hear he's still playing his game! I still have him in my top10-15, the kid's got talent! Hope he drops so Montreal can get him and another top 10 pick :D

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Shinkaruk has the longest active point streak in the WHL at 11 games. 7 goals and 16 points in that span.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Some Shinkaruk on falling well short of 50 after a season of 49 a year ago. Of course, he was riding shotgun with Emerson Etem a year ago. Different team, different circumstances.

“Coming into this year – I’m not going to lie – I wanted to get 50 goals,†Shinkaruk said. “Sometimes that’s just not going to happen. You just have to be the best player you can every night. I can’t complain about how my season’s gone. At the end of the day, you still want to get 50 and it’s kind of tough that probably won’t happen.â€

http://futureconsiderations.ca/improved-shinkaruk-not-shy-on-shorting-50/

arsmaster*

Had the nice breakaway backhander last night, but his most impressive play was tying up Ferland in front of the net, which saved a goal IMO.

Good player.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I think he's the same tier as Pulock, Ristolainen and Zadorov. Guys who could go between 7-15, depending on what teams are drafting

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think he's a top 12 guy for the draft but is probably top 5 in terms of strictly offensive potential. Still have some concerns about his size/strength/skating at the next level.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I think he's getting underrated because of how deep this draft is. In a regular year, he looks like a classic top five or six guy.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
skating?

care to elaborate?

Yeah, after second thought I guess it's not really a concern, per say. He's got great speed and is really shifty, but he's just got a different style. I think he will still need to get his skating up a notch or two for him to be an effective NHLer, though.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Yeah, after second thought I guess it's not really a concern, per say. He's got great speed and is really shifty, but he's just got a different style. I think he will still need to get his skating up a notch or two for him to be an effective NHLer, though.

I have only seen him play in the under 18s and a few other times being out east, but from everything I have seen/heard his skating looking to be very explosive.

Craig Button mention that he was an elite level skater a couple months ago I believe.

I haven't seen him enough to form my own opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad