LW Cole Eiserman - USNTDP U18 (2024 draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I get the point that if he hits his potential he’s a unique player. It’s not only his shot. He can score around the net.

He’s significantly deficient though in almost every part of the game, which you don’t see from the best goal scorers in today’s game. We’re reaching for comparisons like a rich man’s Brandon Pirri or the jackpot of being Hull.

Reactions: majormajor

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
His scoring ability will be enough to get him drafted in the upper half of the first round, but I agree he'll need to do some soul searching to achieve his potential. It's not easy to do and starts with humility and work ethic. We'll know a lot about him as a person next year.

Last edited:

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
That being said, I see some Cammalleri in this prospect.
Is he really a worse prospect than Caufield on his draft year? I don’t think so (not be as of today)

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That being said, I see some Cammalleri in this prospect.
Is he really a worse prospect than Canfield on his draft year? I don’t think so (not be as of today)
Caufield? I think so.

Caufield was just small. Eiserman might shoot it a little harder and skate a little better, but Caufield didn’t have such big deficits. He just had that one major deficit of being 5’7. He was nowhere near as frustrating of a player as Eiserman is.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
Caufield? I think so.

Caufield was just small. Eiserman might shoot it a little harder and skate a little better, but Caufield didn’t have such big deficits. He just had that one major deficit of being 5’7. He was nowhere near as frustrating of a player as Eiserman is.
Caufield was far from being a well rounded player though. I actually think this year was huge for his progression in rounding his game. He proved he can do a little more than just score goals (which hopefully he’ll do more of starting next year).
Eiserman could be following a very similar path. It’s often the case for these young goalscorers.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Caufield was far from being a well rounded player though. I actually think this year was huge for his progression in rounding his game. He proved he can do a little more than just score goals (which hopefully he’ll do more of starting next year).
Eiserman could be following a very similar path. It’s often the case for these young goalscorers.
I’m not saying Caufield was a two way ace, but nowhere near the black hole outside of goalscoring that Eiserman is. Eiserman has major concerns with his compete. He won’t even engage in puck battles. He’s very selfish with the puck and makes the wrong decision often. He’s a below average passer and has average puck skills, at best.

Caufield was basically above average in every area other than size/speed with the goalscoring being well above average. Caufield could do a lot offensively outside of scoring goals and wasn’t so deficient defensively and with his compete level, even if they weren’t strong areas for him.

How much do you weigh size and skating into the equation? Might be a lot, but outside of those areas Caufield was much better.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Caufield also appears to be a smart player. He has adjusted to each level of hockey successfully. Eiserman I am less sure of. On paper, he seems like a better prospect because of his size, but hockey isn't played on paper. Organizations want to really dig down on this guy, and make sure that he has the work ethic and will to assess his game and make adjustments as his career advances, rather than to be content with what he is today.

Last year, he was thought of as a possible challenger to Celebrini for the #1 spot. This year, he has fallen outside the top 10 on most lists. That is not a good trend, and indicates a player that has plateau'ed.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I think Eiserman goes to Devils.
I have seen this prediction now few times and I don't get it. They don't need another Holtz or any other soft players who don't play a 200-foot game.

I think Helenius, Iginla or MBN are more likely picks for the Devils. Or if they prefer skill and he is available, Catton is another option. All the best defenseman prospects are probably drafted before their pick, but Buium or some other defenseman would be interesting option too.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Have fun, Habs

This is not the type of player the new Habs regime drafts.

Habs are going Demidov or Lindstrom if available. If not, then you're looking at Iginla/Sennecke most likely.. outside shot goes to Helenius/Catton.

Yeah, I know.

Still they picked Reinbacher last year at #5.

How do people still not understand Reinbacher was going 5 regardless?

Arizona was taking him at 5 if they had it, or 6 if he was there.
Nashville stopped trying to trade up when he was off the board.
Philly would have taken him at 5 if they got the pick from the Habs from Gauthier.

Reactions: Blueston

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Caufield also appears to be a smart player. He has adjusted to each level of hockey successfully. Eiserman I am less sure of. On paper, he seems like a better prospect because of his size, but hockey isn't played on paper. Organizations want to really dig down on this guy, and make sure that he has the work ethic and will to assess his game and make adjustments as his career advances, rather than to be content with what he is today.

Last year, he was thought of as a possible challenger to Celebrini for the #1 spot. This year, he has fallen outside the top 10 on most lists. That is not a good trend, and indicates a player that has plateau'ed.
It can be an indication that he's plateaued, but also could suggest he's been over-scouted a bit.

In this case, I think it's a bit of both. I do think he matured earlier than his peers and they've caught up to him, while he's really not improved all that much. But I also think some of his deficiencies have been exaggerated. For example, I think he's a better passer than he's been given credit for.

At the end of the day, the biggest question for the team who considers drafting him is "Am I okay drafting a player who refers to himself in the third person?"

And for WhiskeyYerTheDevils, the answer would be no.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
This is not the type of player the new Habs regime drafts.

Habs are going Demidov or Lindstrom if available. If not, then you're looking at Iginla/Sennecke most likely.. outside shot goes to Helenius/Catton.

How do people still not understand Reinbacher was going 5 regardless?

Arizona was taking him at 5 if they had it, or 6 if he was there.
Nashville stopped trying to trade up when he was off the board.
Philly would have taken him at 5 if they got the pick from the Habs from Gauthier.
Arizona was absolutely not taking him at 5 or 6. GMBA literally talked about players who performed well in the WJC and had a clutch factor to the media, everybody thought he was going to draft Leonard. Then he drafts Simashev at 6. And he would at 5 too. He was the first d-man off their board.

Anyways Eiserman absolutely has decent to good IQ, doesn't have compete issues that are blatant or more than just bad games, and is a pretty solid passer and playmaker who literally tries to pass way more than he should because he doesn't want to be seen as the selfish goalscorer for...scoring goals.

He certainly isn't good defensively but he has gotten a lot better from last year and he still needs to work on a few things for sure but he's improved his game a lot, has definitely not plateaued.

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyways Eiserman absolutely has decent to good IQ, doesn't have compete issues that are blatant or more than just bad games, and is a pretty solid passer and playmaker who literally tries to pass way more than he should because he doesn't want to be seen as the selfish goalscorer for...scoring goals.

He certainly isn't good defensively but he has gotten a lot better from last year and he still needs to work on a few things for sure but he's improved his game a lot, has definitely not plateaued.
Why is he falling so much then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad