LW Cole Eiserman - USNTDP U18 (2024, 20th, NYI)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It’s a high risk/reward based on how he dropped in the draft like you said. The guy I personally wanted went well ahead (Buium) of the Islanders spot at 20. What they need to do is let him develop instead of what they did with the last 2 “snipers” drafted. The NHL comparison to Wahlstrom is what scares. Wahlstrom is absolutely lost out there and has borderline sluggish speed.

Basically this, not his biggest fan but the Isles are the one team who can take that risk and hope he pans out very soon to be the missing guy next to Barzal/Horvat. Barzal has PTSD of shooting and Horvat isn't the fleetest of foot to consistently carry that line with Barzal and then the obvious third guy being useless in most scenarios in recent years for the Islanders.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Basically this, not his biggest fan but the Isles are the one team who can take that risk and hope he pans out very soon to be the missing guy next to Barzal/Horvat. Barzal has PTSD of shooting and Horvat isn't the fleetest of foot to consistently carry that line with Barzal and then the obvious third guy being useless in most scenarios in recent years for the Islanders.
Hearing NTDP and sniper gives me PTSD and I don’t want to have to explain to more people how one dimensional players aren’t a good idea to draft ever. This team has picked Ho-Sang, Bellows, Wahlstrom and Dal Colle. All of which turned out to wonderful minor leaguers.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Hearing NTDP and sniper gives me PTSD and I don’t want to have to explain to more people how one dimensional players aren’t a good idea to draft ever. This team has picked Ho-Sang, Bellows, Wahlstrom and Dal Colle. All of which turned out to wonderful minor leaguers.
Imo, Eiserman has been unfairly sold as a one-dimensional player. He has what it takes to develop the other parts of his game.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

I feel you, if there's any team in the league that can understand Lou's LOL drafting safe guys versus potential (granted he was only there for Wahlstrom on that list, it's us Devils fans. That being said, it's a very high risky pick but he could be a 35-40 goal guy next to Barzal+Horvat if he keeps his head on straight. My actual worry would be is Lou/company overcooking him in the AHL for the sake of a defensive game and you neuter his elite goal scoring out of his game

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Imo, Eiserman has been unfairly sold as a one-dimensional player. He has what it takes to develop the other parts of his game.
That’s why I want to see them let him develop at BU instead of the one year and off he goes to Bridgeport. At the rate we’re going, the NCAA is turning out to being a better development option vs the CHL and in some cases the AHL.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I feel you, if there's any team in the league that can understand Lou's LOL drafting safe guys versus potential (granted he was only there for Wahlstrom on that list, it's us Devils fans. That being said, it's a very high risky pick but he could be a 35-40 goal guy next to Barzal+Horvat if he keeps his head on straight. My actual worry would be is Lou/company overcooking him in the AHL for the sake of a defensive game and you neuter his elite goal scoring out of his game
I’m not worried about them overcooking him. I’m worried about him wanting out of college after a year and looking like a man vs boys in juniors then falling flat once he plays pro.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Great pick at 20. Huge steal.

But… he will need development and support. Two way center is essential.
I agree, there are no guarantees you are going to hit a top 6 fwd talent in the first rd, to potentially get a good one at #20 is a good reward to risk ratio IMO. The kid is also just 2 1/2 weeks shy of making the 2025 NHL draft making him giving him a good chance to improve. Some risks, but the pros outweigh the cons.

Reactions: beach

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I’m not worried about them overcooking him. I’m worried about him wanting out of college after a year and looking like a man vs boys in juniors then falling flat once he plays pro.

Eh I wouldn't worry about that, I'm not too into the Isles cap space but I can definitely see you guys signing a 2 year stop gap with Barzal/Horvat and then after that Eiserman will get his look. He won't fall flat on his face, that's not Lou's mentality with first rounders or drafted players in general.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Ho Sang just picked up a Kelly Cup... er.. what?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Ho Sang just picked up a Kelly Cup... er.. what?
Minor league = not NHL. None of the 4 I named can hack it consistently at the NHL level.

Eh I wouldn't worry about that, I'm not too into the Isles cap space but I can definitely see you guys signing a 2 year stop gap with Barzal/Horvat and then after that Eiserman will get his look. He won't fall flat on his face, that's not Lou's mentality with first rounders or drafted players in general.
The 2 year stop gap would also get them to the end of the Lee and Pageau deals, pending both are still with the team. If anything, the 4 years of college will help him physically and gain strength.

Reactions: kevistar

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
It’s a high risk/reward based on how he dropped in the draft like you said. The guy I personally wanted went well ahead (Buium) of the Islanders spot at 20. What they need to do is let him develop instead of what they did with the last 2 “snipers” drafted. The NHL comparison to Wahlstrom is what scares. Wahlstrom is absolutely lost out there and has borderline sluggish speed.
Wahlstrom pushed his way out of BC because he wasn’t happy with playing time as a freshman and then he spent a year in Bridgeport. A lot of this is on him.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Wahlstrom pushed his way out of BC because he wasn’t happy with playing time as a freshman and then he spent a year in Bridgeport. A lot of this is on him.
I wonder how much of it was academics as well. Bellows also left after a year at BU. That right there makes me worry about Eiserman.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Please tell me his knock isn’t his skating. We’ve already seen Bellows and Wahlstrom with “nhl ready shots” yet they can’t skate.
No, his skating is considered to be good. Remember, this kid is very young(Aug 29 bday). It's normal if he is a bit behind some of the other kids maturity wise.

At 20, he's a great pick.

Reactions: Konk

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
No, his skating is considered to be good. Remember, this kid is very young(Aug 29 bday). It's normal if he is a bit behind some of the other kids maturity wise.

At 20, he's a great pick.
I’m not worried about skating when it comes to speed. It’s more so edge work and technique itself. I’ve seen people drool over guys who are fast in a straight line but the second they have to go left or right it’s over aka Michael Grabner. Also awareness and where to be on the ice. This is why I don’t like the Wahlstom comparison I saw. Wally is that kid growing up who cashed in on everyone else’s work.

Reactions: SI90

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The last time the Islanders drafted the top goal scorer who people questioned his work ethic and defensive game who for whatever reason fell in the draft, that guy was named Mike Bossy(15th in 1977), Although I guess some may argue Oliver Wahlstrom. lol

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder how much of it was academics as well. Bellows also left after a year at BU. That right there makes me worry about Eiserman.
Bellows and his Dad always thought the grass was greener on the other side. Hopefully NYI's luck will change with this pick, and Eiserman turns out to be a steal at #20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad