LW/C Matus Valek - HC Slovan Bratislava, Slovakia U18 (2027 Draft)

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
A Slovak kid born in February 2009, which means he´ll celebrate his 15th birthday in 2 months. Valek was known as one of the most promising Slovak kids at hockey for a longer time but this season he´s taken a significant step forward.

In a Slovak U18 league he´s on the track for the best individual season by a U15 player in a history with an absolutely insane leading against the others. It´s fair to be said this league this year is a bit weaker than it used to be in the past and also he´s playing in a really stacked team and line. But it doesn't change much that the more I watch Valek, the more I like him. He has an excellent understanding of hockey for a player of his age - he´s always in the right place, anticipates the game brilliantly and I like his defensive responsibility also, he´s very good at takeaways for example. So I really like his all-around game and I hope he´ll become a center in the future, he has all the presuppotions for that.

His passing skills are one of the best I've seen for a Slovak prospect of his age for a long time. He also became noticeably bigger over the past year which helps him a lot in a puck protection. His skating is solid for a player for his size although it´s definitely not his best asset.

What still needs to be improved is his finishing and he needs to gain weight, he´s not a very flashy player yet and there is work to be done on his skating also.

Strengths : hockey IQ, passing skills, vision, positioning, stickhandling, defensive play, puck protection, size, competitiveness

Room for improvement : finishing, strength and physical play, skating

Stylistic comparision : Nick Suzuki

Matus Valek at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
How does he compare to Dominik Domonkos? Dominik seems to be putting up even better numbers than Matus did in the U16 league.
Obviously, at this moment Valek is much better player than Domonkos. Domonkos is good offensively, he's flashy and skilled player with great hands but Valek is much better overall player, offers bigger impact for his team AINEC.

Of course, Valek is one year older so it's not quite fair to compare players who aren't in the same age. But if you want some comparision then I would say Valek one year ago was on the similar level like Domonkos is now. But then he did a huge step forward which still remains questionable for Domonkos...

And finally, don't overestimate Domonkos numbers too much. In U16 league he's playing in Region East and there's a weaker competition than Region West where Valek played last season.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Is there any physical advantage? Or is he only a standard 15-years old boy?
A bit because he's tall. But still he's very slim so definitely there's a room to being stronger and more physical.

He's simply good at hockey and is great at creating opportunities for his teammates that's main reason why I'm thinking he stands out over his peers.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
stats.png

His two-line mates are right under him so most likely its a combination of 3 good player on one line.

Still impressive

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
I have noticed this player few months ago. Really interesting prospect.
I am curious how he will do at international stage next year.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Now the question is: Has Slovan a true prospects in their hands?
They also have a few good 2008 group players that made it to the U16 roster

Not sure if I should be happy or worried

They have three rinks inside one stadium - 1 extraliga team - 1 shl team - 1 junior team and 2nd league junior team

How is it even possible to be so bad at producing talent?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
They also have a few good 2008 group players that made it to the U16 roster

Not sure if I should be happy or worried

They have three rinks inside one stadium - 1 extraliga team - 1 shl team - 1 junior team and 2nd league junior team

How is it even possible to be so bad at producing talent?

Dont blame Slovan. Its about young boys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad