LW Beckett Sennecke - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024 Draft)

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Well, he punched his ticket to the OHL finals. Or rather it was punched for him. He wasn't dressed in game 7. Anyone know if he's injured?

Edit: He sustained an upper body injury in game 6 and was scratched for game 7. I don't know what that means for him in the finals against London.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well, he punched his ticket to the OHL finals. Or rather it was punched for him. He wasn't dressed in game 7. Anyone know if he's injured?

Edit: He sustained an upper body injury in game 6 and was scratched for game 7. I don't know what that means for him in the finals against London.

Oshawa aren't really disclosing anything but I heard it was a game time decision when he couldn't play game 7, so hopefully he's back for game 1.

Habs need to get a good look at him in case the draft order doesn't have Lindstrom or Demidov available at 5.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Oshawa aren't really disclosing anything but I heard it was a game time decision when he couldn't play game 7, so hopefully he's back for game 1.

Habs need to get a good look at him in case the draft order doesn't have Lindstrom or Demidov available at 5.

Not sure why the Habs seem so intent on drafting a forward.

This isn't the NFL where players immediately step in and play after the draft.

Sennecke is multiple years away and so are more of the draft eligibles, even the ones available in the top 10.

Besides if the Habs drafted someone like Silayev (if he's the BPA at 5) they could always turn around and trade Guhle for a good forward to make room.

Reactions: wetcoast

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not sure why the Habs seem so intent on drafting a forward.

This isn't the NFL where players immediately step in and play after the draft.

Sennecke is multiple years away and so are more of the draft eligibles, even the ones available in the top 10.

Besides if the Habs drafted someone like Silayev (if he's the BPA at 5) they could always turn around and trade Guhle for a good forward to make room.

Because they have a group of young defenseman that they feel very strong about, they're trying to compete sooner not later, trading Guhle who is already a very good defenseman to move backwards with another green defenseman isn't what they want to do.

Their holes are up front and they'll be able to get a great forward at 5 without getting into saturating an already saturated and further along blueline group on a maybe.

Reactions: viceroy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Because they have a group of young defenseman that they feel very strong about, they're trying to compete sooner not later, trading Guhle who is already a very good defenseman to move backwards with another green defenseman isn't what they want to do.

Their holes are up front and they'll be able to get a great forward at 5 without getting into saturating an already saturated and further along blueline group on a maybe.

They don't have to trade Guhle now, where did you get that from my post?

Like I said, the player they'll be selecting at 5th OVR will be years away from playing, whether they take a forward or defenseman.

Doesn't matter if they take Silayev or Sennecke, it'll probably be until at least 2026/27 until they play.

At THAT time if the young D they pick is ready to play they could make room for him by trading a defenseman for a forward.

Drafting for need is stupid and the Habs should pick BPA even if that player doesn't "fit" the current makeup of the roster.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They don't have to trade Guhle now, where did you get that from my post?

Like I said, the player they'll be selecting at 5th OVR will be years away from playing, whether they take a forward or defenseman.

Doesn't matter if they take Silayev or Sennecke, it'll probably be until at least 2026/27 until they play.

At THAT time if the young D they pick is ready to play they could make room for him by trading a defenseman for a forward.

Drafting for need is stupid and the Habs should pick BPA even if that player doesn't "fit" the current makeup of the roster.

Every team picking at the top considers their roster needs. They're not gonna be 3 years from now trading Guhle who would be a leader, well established defenseman on the roster to bring in a rookie who has never played in North America before.

That's just an insane thing to do.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Every team picking at the top considers their roster needs. They're not gonna be 3 years from now trading Guhle who would be a leader, well established defenseman on the roster to bring in a rookie who has never played in North America before.

You draft the prospect you think is going to be the best player regardless of positional need.

If the Habs brass thinks Silayev/Buium is that guy, you take him and worry about having too many good defenseman later, as it's always possible to swap players with another team that helps fill a greater need on the roster of both teams.

You don't draft Sennecke/Iginla over the BPA because you need a forward right now, because who knows if that's going to be the case a couple years from now.

Maybe the Habs legitimately have a forward as the BPA on the board at 5, in which case go for it, but something tells me if they pick a guy like Sennecke/Iginla it's because they talked themselves into it because of the greater need for a forward.

Of course what makes this all amusing is that reaching for Reinbacher instead of Michkov/Leonard will mean not only did the Habs miss out on a better forward than they'll get at #5 this year, but I think most neutral observers would take Buium/Silayev/Dickinson over Reinbacher as well. Worst of both worlds.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
You draft the prospect you think is going to be the best player regardless of positional need.

If the Habs brass thinks Silayev/Buium is that guy, you take him and worry about having too many good defenseman later, as it's always possible to swap players with another team that helps fill a greater need on the roster of both teams.

You don't draft Sennecke/Iginla over the BPA because you need a forward right now, because who knows if that's going to be the case a couple years from now.

Maybe the Habs legitimately have a forward as the BPA on the board at 5, in which case go for it, but something tells me if they pick a guy like Sennecke/Iginla it's because they talked themselves into it because of the greater need for a forward.

Of course what makes this all amusing is that reaching for Reinbacher instead of Michkov/Leonard will mean not only did the Habs miss out on a better forward than they'll get at #5 this year, but I think most neutral observers would take Buium/Silayev/Dickinson over Reinbacher as well. Worst of both worlds.
Definitely fair all around, especially about Buium/Silayev/Dickinson vs. Reinbacher (although I think the kid will be alright).

I do however wonder whether after the draft is done, if there's a chance that scouts see Iginla/Sennecke/Lindstrom (if healthy) on the same tier as Leonard or perhaps even higher. I think Michkov is a class above and those who don't are in the minority at this point.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

They did it with Romanov though, who got us Dach. I think Guhle or Xhekaj could get us a pretty solid top 6 foward eventually.. They have also been battling through some injuries. Ideally we draft a foward, but that Silayev kid is quite something.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It’s incredibly naive to think positional need isn’t a thing. Having a well balanced prospect pool is super important as it makes it easier to make determinations of who slides in where to know where your gaps are and to not have gaps so obviously necessary they become desperation.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They did it with Romanov though, who got us Dach. I think Guhle or Xhekaj could get us a pretty solid top 6 foward eventually.. They have also been battling through some injuries. Ideally we draft a foward, but that Silayev kid is quite something.

No, they already had Romanov and Guhle internally. They didn't trade Romanov to draft a LD with pick 1, that they'd hope would be ready to be as good as Romanov is now, in 3 years, for a team that is trying to turn into a contender.

You don't reset the clock on your top pairing LD when you're trying to make a Suzuki Caufield window work. You especially don't do it for Anton Silayev.

This isn't if New Jersey got the 1st overall pick and fans are saying hey let's pass on Celebrini because we have Hughes and Hischier already.

There's no consensus after pick 1, the Habs aren't staring at a sure fire no doubt legitimate 1LD that would change their plans. It's a bunch of maybe guys who have flaws and the Habs like their current mix at LD that they already have to remove players from this summer.

There's a glaring need, there's options, there's so much depth and established growing talent at D already when D takes a longer time to develop. It's not happening. They're not doing it. They shouldn't do it.

Reactions: viceroy and A55P2

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
They did a mock draft on the Sick/Recrutes podcast on Tuesday, I believe it was. Their top 5 mock went:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Lidstrom
4. Buium
5. Sennecke

These are pro scouts (not attached to an orgainization, but still). I think when it comes to Sennecke, where there's smoke...

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

The Habs Dman prospects aren't good or deep enough to pass on the BPA and this guy is a really safe pick and probably too high for the Habs to take him, can't remember exactly where they are picking but to me Sennece is closer to 20 than 10....but size......

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
The Habs Dman prospects aren't good or deep enough to pass on the BPA and this guy is a really safe pick and probably too high for the Habs to take him, can't remember exactly where they are picking but to me Sennece is closer to 20 than 10....but size......
There are no slam dunk HoF type of defenseman available either this year. The most intriguing are Dickinson and Buium, both are IMO very solid but unless we move Hutson or Guhle for a very good top 6 player, they should pass on them.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There are no slam dunk HoF type of defenseman available either this year. The most intriguing are Dickinson and Buium, both are IMO very solid but unless we move Hutson or Guhle for a very good top 6 player, they should pass on them.
I think there are 5 or 6 better potential all round Dman than Hutson there and maybe Guhle as well but maybe it's only 3 or 4.

Look I'm not a Habs fan and I hope they take the "safe" pick them go ballistic when it doesn't pan out and a guy like Catton becomes a star.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
They did a mock draft on the Sick/Recrutes podcast on Tuesday, I believe it was. Their top 5 mock went:

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Lidstrom
4. Buium
5. Sennecke

These are pro scouts (not attached to an orgainization, but still). I think when it comes to Sennecke, where there's smoke...
Recruits, like Grant McCagg? If yes, he's maybe the biggest Sennecke fan on that planet so he certainly had something to do with his selection at 5.

Locks

May 28, 2005
Sure, that's your opinion, but the view in the scouting community has shifted. In Bob's lottery rankings, three scouts out of 10 surveyed placed Sennecke inside top 10, one of the three at 5OV. Recrutes put him at 5 and at the Athletic podcast featuring Peters, Wheeler, and Pronman, it was stated that Sennecke is in the conversation for the top 10 now.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

When you find the consensus BPAs after Celebrini, let me know.

The closest we have is that Levshunov Demidov and Silayev garnered the most votes in the top after Celebrini. So the only way a left shot defenseman is 'BPA' and again, not every scout in the world is sold on Silayev, is if Silayev is on the board and Lindstrom is not.

In which case the move is to let someone pay you to take Silayev, the answer is not for Montreal to take Silayev, trade Guhle, and hope in 3 years when Silayev comes over on NA ice for the first time, that he's anywhere close to what Guhle is -now-.

Now your potential top pair LD is learning the NHL and NA style of play, with no guarantees he'll ever be as good as Guhle is now, and Suzuki is 30 years old.

It doesn't work.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
When you find the consensus BPAs after Celebrini, let me know.

The closest we have is that Levshunov Demidov and Silayev garnered the most votes in the top after Celebrini. So the only way a left shot defenseman is 'BPA' and again, not every scout in the world is sold on Silayev, is if Silayev is on the board and Lindstrom is not.

In which case the move is to let someone pay you to take Silayev, the answer is not for Montreal to take Silayev, trade Guhle, and hope in 3 years when Silayev comes over on NA ice for the first time, that he's anywhere close to what Guhle is -now-.

Now your potential top pair LD is learning the NHL and NA style of play, with no guarantees he'll ever be as good as Guhle is now, and Suzuki is 30 years old.

It doesn't work.
If the Habs want to play it safe they can take Dickinson at 5 the and no need to trade some Dmen can play off hand.

I just think there are much better prospects with less risk and higher ceiling combinations at that spot.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If the Habs want to play it safe they can take Dickinson at 5 the and no need to trade some Dmen can play off hand.

I just think there are much better prospects with less risk and higher ceiling combinations at that spot.

That's fine but it's clear the Habs feel more than comfortable on their left shot D, and so they are rightfully going to invest their high value pick on a high value player at a position they need.

This isn't a draft where people are convinced there's a clear BPA, you poll one scout team and they might have one defenseman at the top and one at the bottom and the next it's inverse.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Lidstrom
4. Buium
5. Sennecke

The "douche" that you were asking about earlier made the Habs pick. ;)

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
Interesting mention regarding Sennecke in Wheelers recent mailbag from Athletic.

"Everyone saw the skill and the potential, but as one OHL coach told me, he had a lot of bad habits he needed to break, a tendency to play one-on-one too much, and wavering competitiveness. There were also benchings and off-ice questions. In a survey of a few people early on this season, everyone handicapped him as a late-first. One coach even questioned if he’d take him in the first."

He later on clarifies that things have changed a bit for the better.

Will be interesting to see how he develops and if there has been growth. Also how will Sennecke react when things go not his way.

He has skill and size but not necessarily speed, I have only seen one game so far though. Probably top 15-20ish pick in my books but some of the stuff is just impossible to see through video only.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad