lowest moment of the season(discussion)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Honestly...?

The day Tortorella was hired.

That was the moment my heart sank and i knew this was about to go off the rails. I cussed so ****ing much that day.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
-Tortorella storming the Calgary lockerroom.

-7 minute 5on3 pk

-losing 7-4 after being up 3 going into the third against the Tavares-less NYI

-late blown leads against each of our california rivals followed by ot losses.

-hamhuis own goal against montreal

-losing 9-1 against Anaheim

-having our coach suspended for 6 games

-Kassian being suspended twice

-first line not scoring for 2 months.

-Edler reaching -30

-when we reached 29th in scoring in the league

-having a kid in his first nhl game ejected in 2 seconds.

-having 5powerplay goals scored against when your team is supposed to number 1 ranked PK

-Henrik's ironman streak ending

-Luongo not starting winter classic and then being traded

-Having a Moral Victory when Dustin Brown just scored the winner against the Canucks again.

-Mcgratton scoring from center

-late 2 goal lead against pittsburgh blown and losing in a shootout.

- Ryan Kesler rumoured to want out

- Ryan Kesler 27 minutes in the pre-season

- 3 canucks injured by one player

- Brown running over Luongo and injuring him

- Not being able to hold a third period lead

- The realization that basically every player on our team has taken a step back under this coach.

- A team basically eliminated riding a rookie goalie into the ground

- Watching David Booth for the first 5 months of the season

- Watching this team on the powerplay

- Losing to the Leafs

- Losing 7 straight games in regulation including a 5 game Eastern road swing going into the Olympics

- Losing 5-1 to Los Angeles when we tried to play 'tough'
That sums it up nicely

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
My buddy getting tickets to the New York Rangers game, and even ignoring the first two goals and all the usual technical errors and sloppy play until this point, we get a mid-to-late third period powerplay, and our down 2-1.

Kassian, who had been on a bit of a tear lately, and definitely earned his PP time, then tries a drop pass after gaining the zone, ala last years powerplay, which we almost unanimously agree is an awful play and had to be stopped, and it gets picked off by Martin St Louis, who scores a a short handed goal against what I have to assume is an exhausted Eddie Lack.

Worse then the play itself, there seemed to be 0 urgency in the back check, like as soon as Marty got the puck, everyone just backed off and gave up.

We were already out of the playoff race in my eyes, seeing this live really drove the point home. That loss ensure we had 0 room for error, we have to win every game, and one team ahead of us must lose every game, not to mention two teams between us not winning every game.

Many other moments are definitely in contention, but for me, watching this play unfold is what accents this season perfectly. Normally good players making bad moves, our team, out of desperation, trying things they did under their previous, now fired, coach, key players missing and several more playing injured, and after all the goaltender controversy, game 17 of riding Lack into the ground (he's upto 18 now).

All I can say, is I hope everyone on this team has a great summer plan to get refocused and ready.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
9-1 loss to Anaheim remains the biggest stickler, mostly because we had just come off what was our best game all season despite the loss. Instead of rallying over the effort put out against LA, we completely collapsed. It was then I knew this season was probably a lost cause.

solitary

Mar 30, 2009
-Tortorella storming the Calgary lockerroom.

-7 minute 5on3 pk

-losing 7-4 after being up 3 going into the third against the Tavares-less NYI

-late blown leads against each of our california rivals followed by ot losses.

-hamhuis own goal against montreal

-losing 9-1 against Anaheim

-having our coach suspended for 6 games

-Kassian being suspended twice

-first line not scoring for 2 months.

-Edler reaching -30

-when we reached 29th in scoring in the league

-having a kid in his first nhl game ejected in 2 seconds.

-having 5powerplay goals scored against when your team is supposed to number 1 ranked PK

-Henrik's ironman streak ending

-Luongo not starting winter classic and then being traded

-Having a Moral Victory when Dustin Brown just scored the winner against the Canucks again.

-Mcgratton scoring from center

-late 2 goal lead against pittsburgh blown and losing in a shootout.

- Ryan Kesler rumoured to want out

- Ryan Kesler 27 minutes in the pre-season

- 3 canucks injured by one player

- Not being able to hold a third period lead

- The realization that basically every player on our team has taken a step back under this coach.

- A team basically eliminated riding a rookie goalie into the ground

- Watching David Booth for the first 5 months of the season

- Watching this team on the powerplay

- Losing to the Leafs

- Losing 7 straight games in regulation including a 5 game Eastern road swing going into the Olympics

- Losing 5-1 to Los Angeles when we tried to play 'tough'

Many of these are just bad coaching decisions.

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011

and Hanzal, Perry, Nolan.
And this team just couldnt make them pay for it (whether due to lack of toughness, finishing off chances, biased officiating). That was the moment I realized that we couldnt compete with those teams

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
9-1 loss to Anaheim remains the biggest stickler, mostly because we had just come off what was our best game all season despite the loss. Instead of rallying over the effort put out against LA, we completely collapsed. It was then I knew this season was probably a lost cause.

My problem with the LA game was that the "statement" being made was not appropriate for the team. It was a great game by the team but they were not built to play that style. I didn't believe that they could sustain that for any significant amount of time.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
For me, it was the NYI game. It opened my eyes and told me that this season was convincingly over.

On other note, I bet torts thought he'd have the same effect as Patrick Roy in Colorado by raging in Calgary but then goes overboard by heading to their dressing room. /facepalm

yoss

May 25, 2011
When Torts challenged their collective manhood against LA and lost 1 - 0
to the following week when he went juvenile ballistic against Calgary
to he getting suspended
right through to the Luongo trade

The Nucks went
5 - 15 - 1

Exclude that period of nuclear nightmare
The Nucks went
29 - 17 - 10

There's your season

Agreed, the TSN turning point of the season as another poster aptly put it in another thread.

And down the stretch run the Islanders game & the decision not to play Lu in the heritage classic. Too many blown leads late in games (ie; Pens), not nearly enough (any at all?) games in which they salvaged a point or two with a 3rd period comeback.

arsmaster*

Don't know how anyone can choose a game besides the 9-1 ducks debacle.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
heritge classic for me. ducks was too early to be a genuine disaster. islanders was too late to be anything but a comical representation of troubles. but the heritage classic was the big game that could have triggered a desperately needed change, and we dropped it.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Ducks loss 9-1, that was the writing on the wall that this team is unable to compete with the best and especially not with the new divisional format, to reiterate something mentioned above, the three blown leads and eventual OT losses to California rivals also sucks a lot.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Hiring of Torts

Turning 2 elite (Schneider/Luongo) goalies in to 2 mediocre ones (Lack/markstrom)

Last edited by a moderator:

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
the complete and utter identity crisis that this team has experienced all season long (but mostly, the next few games after the LA "moral victory")

Was that still a moral victory? :dunno:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Yeah, lots to choose from. ButiI think losing to the Leafs, as the capper to a seven game regulation losing streak heading into the Olympics, has to be as low as it goes.

I want to say the nyi game is lower, but that was more comical by that point.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
There are specific games that I could point to, all of which have been mentioned multiple times in this thread so far, but instead I will say:

1. A seven game losing streak in regular time, the longest losing streak for the team for the previous 15 years.

2. That the Canucks would only score more than 2 goals in games twice from the end of January to the middle of March. Unbelievable. And I watched every single one of those games.

3. What should have been a highlight of the season, the Outdoor classic, became a ******* gongshow with the loss of a Sedin at a very key moment in our quest to make the playoffs, and worse than that: that Lu was not put in the game or respected by the coaching staff -- something that directly put in motion his exit from this team.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Another moment directly tied to our lack of scoring that irked me so much, and will always remain memorable concerning this season:

Dan Hamhuis tipping in three goals in 2 games. Sounds great, right? The problem was they were into his own net. The three goals he tipped into his own net were more than HIS WHOLE TEAM had scored in the previous 4 games combined. Eddie Lack was absolutely stellar at this point in the season and should have had incredible stats for his rookie campaign, and yet 5 of his games that month were shutouts by the other team. The Canucks simply could not score goals. They did not give Eddie a chance to win.

Also, things people may have forgotten about the 9-1 loss to the Ducks. Like the Auger incident with Burrows a couple of seasons prior, this was the game where the Canucks ran up against Paul Devorski, who reffed two games in a row, when Vancouver played the Kings, and then the Ducks. In the first game he gave the Canucks a 7 minute penalty, and incredibly, a 7 minute 5 on 3 in the next game – something never before seen in the NHL. The offending crime? A scrum after the whistle where Sestito and Hansen dropped their gloves, but the two kings players they wrestled with did not. The ducks scored twice on the gifts they got from Devorski, and went on to win 9-1 in Canuck goalie Joakim Erikssons' first NHL game. He'd let in 3 NHL goals on his first 8 shots.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Melbourne Demons @ West Coast Eagles
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,700.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Austria vs Norway
    Austria vs Norway
    Wagers: 2