Player Discussion Loui Eriksson, Pt. II

O/U (over/under) Will Eriksson get 0.5ppg+ this coming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
So, who won the poll? Does this season count as more disastrous?

This exchange kinda made me laugh:

Jesus Christ. Guys has had like 3 good games so this thread is being bumped.

People need to get some ****ing perspective.

I don't know Mel, he's on pace for 49 points. He had 47 in 2014-2015.

Yes, players are typically on pace for high totals when they happen to have some good games at the start of the season.

Not to single out ROE; it's very common to overrate "on pace for" early in the season when getting 4 points in 5 games can rocket your "on pace for" projections. This is just a stark example.

Eriksson's 21 points in 62 games basically matches his first season of 24 in 65, although he's done it in significantly less ice time. Whether that is a pro or a con is up to you.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This exchange kinda made me laugh:

Not to single out ROE; it's very common to overrate "on pace for" early in the season when getting 4 points in 5 games can rocket your "on pace for" projections. This is just a stark example.

Eriksson's 21 points in 62 games basically matches his first season of 24 in 65, although he's done it in significantly less ice time. Whether that is a pro or a con is up to you.

I think the context of that projection was that he would get 40~ points playing in the top6. He was playing with EP40 at the time. The on pace rate was a byproduct of that placement.

Will have to go back and look at exactly what was said.

Edit: Here's what I said:

...those same players can have good games later on in the season as well.

I think if Green's continues to default to Eriksson + Pettersson, Eriksson stands to have a good year. What's your over/under on LE and 40 points?

Edit: Your vote was for under 0.5 PPG.

0.5 PPG conditional to Eriksson continuing to play with Pettersson. Not outlandish at all, IMO. Do you disagree? An extra 12~ points on his overall pace.

Hell, leaving him with Horvat probably would have gotten him there.

Last edited:
Reactions: mathonwy

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Is this guy still on the roster? When was the last time he scored? What a terrible terrible signing. Three years still left

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I don't think the Canucks should be thinking about getting out from Eriksson's contract by trading him while retaining salary, adding a pick, taking back a bad contract, etc. Once his final bonus is paid in the summer, they should just let him know that he'll be waived at the start of next season and he'll be going to Utica. Hope that he'll agree to terminate the contract and head back to Sweden to go out in a blaze of SHL glory.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I don't think the Canucks should be thinking about getting out from Eriksson's contract by trading him while retaining salary, adding a pick, taking back a bad contract, etc. Once his final bonus is paid in the summer, they should just let him know that he'll be waived at the start of next season and he'll be going to Utica. Hope that he'll agree to terminate the contract and head back to Sweden to go out in a blaze of SHL glory.

Like an unofficial small-scale buyout: we won't claw back your $4M July 2019 signing bonus, Loui, if you just pull the plug when we waive you. Three seasons of riding the buses in northeastern USA to collect the final $9M of his $36M contract? I could envision him choosing not to do so.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Like an unofficial small-scale buyout: we won't claw back your $4M July 2019 signing bonus, Loui, if you just pull the plug when we waive you. Three seasons of riding the buses in northeastern USA to collect the final $9M of his $36M contract? I could envision him choosing not to do so.

Exactly. Although they don't really have an option re the signing bonus.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It would be a dumb decision for him not to.
There is more to life than money and by all accounts, the guy is f***ing miserable here. He should just go to Sweden and play out his days.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I think the context of that projection was that he would get 40~ points playing in the top6. He was playing with EP40 at the time. The on pace rate was a byproduct of that placement.

Will have to go back and look at exactly what was said.

Edit: Here's what I said:

0.5 PPG conditional to Eriksson continuing to play with Pettersson. Not outlandish at all, IMO. Do you disagree? An extra 12~ points on his overall pace.

Hell, leaving him with Horvat probably would have gotten him there.
Context is a hell of a thing.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Yep, at that point he'd have career earnings of ~$50MM. I can see him tapping out if we send him to upstate New York.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

He'd get another $4M ($1M salary + $3M signing bonus) if he held out until July 1st, 2020, so he might be willing to do a year in the AHL for that.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I can't imagine him not playing in the minors for $4 mil; any hockey player who loves the game would do it. Doesn't anybody remember Wade Redden?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Exactly. Although they don't really have an option re the signing bonus.

I think if a player just up and quits, his team could pursue signing bonus money paid for that season. It is paid up front but is still considered part of annual salary and the player is obligated to make himself available to the team in order to have the right to that salary. Of course, in our nudge-nudge-wink-wink scenario the whole idea would be to entice him to leave with that as a parting gift.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Moj just said Loui wont be on the team next year...with a lot of certainty...take it for what its worth

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Man the 4 people who voted for the 4th option seem to be the most right so far. Eriksson on pace for his WORST season of his career. Even worse then his rookie year, even WORSE then his first two seasons with the Canucks which were DISASTERS

That man gets my avatar :facepalm: :rant:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Why not just frame Eriksson for drug possession like the Kings did when they terminated the Mike Richards contract
This is the type of out of box thinking this hockey team needs.

I nominate you to be our next Prez

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
To tell you the truth most GM's dont learn from free agency
That same offseason Vancouver signed Eriksson. Calgary signed Troy Brouwer for 4 years and $18 mill
and they bought him out after 2 years
Calgary then proceeded to right after the buyout sign James Neal for $30 million
He is 15th on their team in points and is one of the teams highest paid players and is most likely going to be on the 3rd line for a long time

so it isnt just canucks management that screws up free agency. quite a few teams do.

Except the Canucks needs to rebuild and signed Eriksson to a contract that saw his worst year coincide with the Canucks finishing the rebuild and competing. It was a massively stupid contract: wrong player, bad judgement, bad contract structure, failure to plan ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad