Player Discussion Loui Eriksson Part IV: EriksSonata - A CambieKev Presentation [VIDEO]

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t know how Loui can keep a straight face in the locker room. Or Myers, for that matter.
Or Holtby, or Jake. The top players see their chances of winning to a big drop off after losing Marky, Tanev, and Tofu. These top guys also see other players replacing those minutes who are just not anywhere nearly so good. Yet, management pay these guys similar dollars. There is (imo) a schism in the room.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Or Holtby, or Jake. The top players see their chances of winning to a big drop off after losing Marky, Tanev, and Tofu. These top guys also see other players replacing those minutes who are just not anywhere nearly so good. Yet, management pay these guys similar dollars. There is (imo) a schism in the room.

Anyone who studies human behaviour would concur. Take any of us here. You go on vacation after your company’s annual summer picnic. You come back to find three hardworking guys are gone, replaced by guys your boss assures you are just as good. Five guys who do their jobs badly are still there. Your boss tells you he expects similar production to what the company achieved before you went on vacation.
You’d shake your head and wonder WTF your boss is doing. You’d go to work and want things to be the same, but they aren’t. You’re either pissed, or down, or both.
How does that not impact how you do your job? Players are people. People aren’t blind. They see. They react.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
I swear, if the Canucks bring Eriksson back for the last year of his contract because they can't find anything else to do with him, then Canuck fans deserve to be in open revolt.

Aquilini will save a million off the total if he buys Eriksson out after his bonus in June. I can't see him paying an extra million for him to be a healthy scratch and take up a huge chunk of cap. One way or another, I really doubt we'll see Eriksson on the roster next season.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Anyone who studies human behaviour would concur. Take any of us here. You go on vacation after your company’s annual summer picnic. You come back to find three hardworking guys are gone, replaced by guys your boss assures you are just as good. Five guys who do their jobs badly are still there. Your boss tells you he expects similar production to what the company achieved before you went on vacation.
You’d shake your head and wonder WTF your boss is doing. You’d go to work and want things to be the same, but they aren’t. You’re either pissed, or down, or both.
How does that not impact how you do your job? Players are people. People aren’t blind. They see. They react.
Likely, the talented people left at that company would soon notice the new replacements are not very good, and (as a result) try to do more themselves. They would try to do too much, and make a mess of things. The job they used to focus all their attentions on, and do really well, would not have their full focus any more, because they would naturally be covering for the new guys, who are lesser than the guys who left. The company would be worse. And the people left, who did so well before, would appear to be not as good as they were only the year before.
Benning created a mess here.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
Likely, the talented people left at that company would soon notice the new replacements are not very good, and (as a result) try to do more themselves. They would try to do too much, and make a mess of things. The job they used to focus all their attentions on, and do really well, would not have their full focus any more, because they would naturally be covering for the new guys, who are lesser than the guys who left. The company would be worse. And the people left, who did so well before, would appear to be not as good as they were only the year before.
Benning created a mess here.

Exactly. Well said. Unless there’s a players meeting that gets all that sh*t out and results in everybody feeling better and focused on the common goal, which is highly unlikely, this season is lost.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Exactly. Well said. Unless there’s a players meeting that gets all that sh*t out and results in everybody feeling better and focused on the common goal, which is highly unlikely, this season is lost.
Guys in that room must be pissed at Loui. It’s for sure a fractured room.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Nope it’s not.

How is he better? Because he scores empty net goals or puts up awful point totals anchoring Horvat’ wing?

sorry, you’re wrong. Actually I’m not sorry. LE is a better hockey player than Justin Bailey and you’ll never convince me (or anyone else) otherwise.

Reactions: Get North

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Players only meeting? How would that look? People on this team don’t care. EP40 was posting Instagram photos of fashion yesterday before the game , and BB6 was posting an hour after the loss. Life goes on for them. Young rich kids, they’ve been on good teams and shitty teams growing up. This is just part of it. Fans care more about the losses than the players. That I guarantee your.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
sorry, you’re wrong. Actually I’m not sorry. LE is a better hockey player than Justin Bailey and you’ll never convince me (or anyone else) otherwise.
Loui was better than Justin Bailey ever will be but he’s not better than him anymore. Not only does Loui not put up points but worst of all is he doesn’t put in any effort. At least Bailey skates hard and finishes his checks. That’s more than you can say about Loui

Reactions: pomorick

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I think Eriksson is probably better than Roussel and maybe Motte if/when he reverts to normal form.

This is still definitely the season to be experimenting with random young-ish unknown commodities like Michaelis though, so I don't want him in the lineup.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

I'm betting you are dead wrong. Remember he is a union brother who got lucky and hit a home run in his last contract negotiations. They are perhaps envious but I can pretty much guarantee that they don't hold it against him. They all wish they could be so lucky...

Reactions: Christina Woloski

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

why do they give a shit if he's making his money.

they all respect going after what you can get in negotiations.

"for sure a fractured room" .... no. not at all.

you think the guys on elcs resent vets ? no.

after a certain payment threshold, people stop being competitive about wages; as studies have shown. losing markstrom and tanev because of eriksson's contract is more on Benning than eriksson. espeically since every damn player in that room would have no problem being eriksson. he negotiated a good contract and started to decline. if anything, they probably empathisize with his inability to perform like he used to.

this conjecture is absurd.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I'm betting you are dead wrong. Remember he is a union brother who got lucky and hit a home run in his last contract negotiations. They are perhaps envious but I can pretty much guarantee that they don't hold it against him. They all wish they could be so lucky...

this. i work in a union and ppl get paid more around me all the time and do much less. you hope for that. well on them.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

absolutely not.

theres a massive difference between joe blow summer vacation guy and the NHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
absolutely not.

theres a massive difference between joe blow summer vacation guy and the NHL.

There really isn't.

Human nature is human nature. If you have a belief in what you're working toward and believe in the people around you, you'll perform at a higher level than if you think you're working for a crap organization that loses bad people and promotes idiots.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
why do they give a shit if he's making his money.

they all respect going after what you can get in negotiations.

"for sure a fractured room" .... no. not at all.

you think the guys on elcs resent vets ? no.

after a certain payment threshold, people stop being competitive about wages; as studies have shown. losing markstrom and tanev because of eriksson's contract is more on Benning than eriksson. espeically since every damn player in that room would have no problem being eriksson. he negotiated a good contract and started to decline. if anything, they probably empathisize with his inability to perform like he used to.

this conjecture is absurd.
Imo the boys are frustrated with Benning. He’s messed up so badly the team lost three great players.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
If I’m a good union man, which I am, I absolutely blame management for letting go long time workers who were beloved and crucial to the workplace’s success without exploring any and all options to keep them. Further I would resent management even more if those good union brothers were treated poorly on the way out. Might be cause for action, be that the case!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yeah I use to hate unions too cause was raised that way then joined one and realized theyre actually good for people lol, so basically.... screw Eriksson but good for him?

Reactions: Dab and Hansen

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
There really isn't.

Human nature is human nature. If you have a belief in what you're working toward and believe in the people around you, you'll perform at a higher level than if you think you're working for a crap organization that loses bad people and promotes idiots.

Wrong. "Human nature" changes based on context. We're not all the same, in minutely similar situations. We're different, in every situations. And being an NHL player is vastly than middle class guy.

As mentioned, it's been shown after a payment threshold, after making enough money that most everything you'd need is covered, you're in buying shiny toy territory, humans react completely different to competitiveness in the workplace. People motivations completely change. Daniel Pink outlines these studies very succinctly if psych studies and statistics aren't your thing.

As for you saying people have beliefs in working for something. Sure. That isn't what's being debated. I'm arguing that people don't hold it against Eriksson because he's being paid more. Eriksson isn't promoted at all. If he was playing on the first line, sure, that's a promotion. This has to do with *pay*.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Imo the boys are frustrated with Benning. He’s messed up so badly the team lost three great players.

that could be true. it wouldn't surprise me at all. his moves or lack of moves is egregious. ppl dont blame erikkson for his contract or this situation though. "GOOD JOB LOUI. YOU COST US TANEV" isnt ringing out in the locker room as edler farts into his gloves or anything

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad