Post-Game Talk: Losing streak done Jets 4 - Kings 3

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
View attachment 844885

Perfetti is like "I just scored the game winning goal but I just found out I need to get a root canal"
Root Canal!
f yeah 91.PNG

• Haha
Reactions: JetsUK and Wedgeden

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Even if I'm not sure I deserve it, I'm honored to receive the prestigious Coelacanth award. Been meaning to ask, what's the origin story behind it?

Origins, is it? OK, lets get to it.

Years ago, a certain rookie poster became frustrated with his team. He tried to express his frustration in real time with standard lexicon (often lurid), but found those adjectives strangely hollow, and lacking in punch.

Searching for new ways to urge his beloved charges onward, the poster resorted to taxonomic terms. The said poster was not above invoking phylogeny, nor ontogeny.

Species thought to be extinct (eg, the coelacanth - a truly ancient animal whose genes stopped incorporating random beneficial mutations hundreds of thousands of years ago with their occupation of the perfect ecological niche) provided a certain je n'est-ce quoi to our beloved hero's attempts to find gravitas in his exclamations (Table 1).

Table 1. Evolution of hockey exhortation.

2013. "FFS score you used-car mongering swine." and the classic "These refs only want to f@3% us!" Excitement level: bottom, dirt level.

2015. "Please score you useless bags of squalid effluent." Excitement level: low

2016. "Go you gravy-sucking salmon, examine your souls, Valhalla is calling!" Excitement level: Mid grade.

2017 aka the breakthrough year. "Skate, ye great suffering sacs of translucent coelacanth upper digestive tracts! Skate, wheel and celly ye overblown hydrogen sucking dirigibles!" Excitement level: High... this prose has punch.

The Jets per se become an allegory for aquatic biology, with their success as a species on the line with every game played. Variations on this theme involve
- water quality passing through their gills (red river sewage is the preferred medium).
- lobes, bouyancy sacs, notochord function becomes part of the functional pantheon.

And, there you have it. Hope this helps. :)

k.

Last edited:

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Loved the job the refs did this game.
They let them play. The more they do that in the playoffs, the better it bodes for the Jets

Lovely game. Second best way to end a frustrating day.

Time to put Calgary in our sights and continue with our tune-up for the playoffs.
While I certainly agree with the second option that you're alluding to, I've also found that pretend strangle-murdering my buddies at jiu jitsu also helps the soul after a long tough day

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I've actually had to actively avoid 2 of my coworkers who are Blackhawks fans that just LOVE to shit talk the Jets when they lose. 2 weeks+ of me dodging and deflecting the conversations ("yeah I'm pretty busy today, can't talk long" etc), but I did pretty well. Not that they have anything to stand on now other than "we got Bedard"

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That was a fun one to attend. We were the better team and deserved to win.

The one thing I didn't care for was the bash everything up the walls breakouts we ran all game. It got us into trouble a couple of times.

Norrissey was back tonight and he seemed to energize Pionk who had his best game I ages.

Thought Dillion and Schmidt both had some issues managing the puck in their end but otherwise where solid.

DeMelo played well and Snerg had a nice bounce back game.

Top line was the only line that was mediocre tonight. They just didn't seem that I sync to me. I thought Mark worked hard but just couldn't get anything going. Ehlers was a bit of a mess and wiffed on a tap in. Gabe looks like he's still shaking off the rust. He wasn't super noticeable.

Second line. They had a couple defensive hiccups but otherwise where very dynamic and generated and scored more then they gave up. I said Cole needed to make a statement and he did. Nice two goals and an assist. You could feel this coming the last few games he was in. Monahan was steady both ways and got his customary redirect goal. Connor had his best game in ages. He looked much more like the version of him we saw last year with Dubois. He plays better when he's counted on to be more engaged offensively. Just keep him and Mark apart.

Third line with a very tidy physical and defensive effort. I didn't see what happened to Nino but looked like he was favoring his hand.

Fourth line with a good effort as well.

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
Origins, is it? OK, lets get to it.

Years ago, a certain rookie poster became frustrated with his team. He tried to express his frustration in real time with standard lexicon (often lurid), but found those adjectives strangely hollow, and lacking in punch.

Searching for new ways to urge his beloved charges onward, the poster resorted to taxonomic terms. The said poster was not above invoking phylogeny, nor ontogeny.

Species thought to be extinct (eg, the coelacanth - a truly ancient animal whose genes stopped incorporating random beneficial mutations hundreds of thousands of years ago with their occupation of the perfect ecological niche) provided a certain je n'est-ce quoi to our beloved hero's attempts to find gravitas in his exclamations (Table 1).

Table 1. Evolution of hockey exhortation.

2013. "FFS score you used-car mongering swine." and the classic "These refs only want to f@3% us!" Excitement level: bottom, dirt level.

2015. "Please score you useless bags of squalid effluent." Excitement level: low

2016. "Go you gravy-sucking salmon, examine your souls, Valhalla is calling!" Excitement level: Mid grade.

2017 aka the breakthrough year. "Skate, ye great suffering sacs of translucent coelacanth upper digestive tracts! Skate, wheel and celly ye overblown hydrogen sucking dirigibles!" Excitement level: High... this prose has punch.

The Jets per se become an allegory for aquatic biology, with their success as a species on the line with every game played. Variations on this theme involve
- water quality passing through their gills (red river sewage is the preferred medium).
- lobes, bouyancy sacs, notochord function becomes part of the functional pantheon.

And, there you have it. Hope this helps. :)

k.
This clears it up nicely, yes. I laughed several times reading this and also learned three new words. Thank you.

Makes me wonder who this rookie poster was though..

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Who knew putting Ehlers on the top line would create an even better line with Connor Monahan and Perfetti.
That second line was a legit question mark. Could have gone either way, and kind of did. I think some time together might clear up.some of the crossed wires in their own end

Reactions: jetsfan15

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
That second line was a legit question mark. Could have gone either way, and kind of did. I think some time together might clear up.some of the crossed wires in their own end
They were good on offence but a semi disaster on defence. I am not sure that is a playoff line but you have to like Perfetti's mental toughness vs say PLDouche.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Yup, on top of that he could have really screwed us but he worked through the whole process with Chevy and the sign n' trade to make sure we got a good return.
I am not sure he worked with the Jets as much as the Montreal media got in Rob Blake's head and convinced him he was going there unless he sold Chevy the farm for a Pretty Lazy Dude.

Reactions: Flair Hay and GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They were good on offence but a semi disaster on defence. I am not sure that is a playoff line but you have to like Perfetti's mental toughness vs say PLDouche.

They only gave up two quality chances all game, both just happened to go in our net. They can definitely improve in that regard but they weren't as bad as the goals against would indicate. Top line gave up a lot more chances against for instance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad